Monday, January 15, 2018

First sentences

I once heard that the first sentence in any story is important. It needs to arouse curiosity in readers, to make them want to keep reading. That's hard.

Here are a couple of my starters. Some are really bad, and others are poorly structured sentences, but I'm still editing. Hmm.. My two Adventures of a Pirate books begin with complaints about the heat. And my Pendragon books all start with asking a question.


The day had begun with a relentless heat.
~The Black Horizon


It was so hot, I felt as if I was melting.
~Lost Treasure


The crowd of drably dressed screaming commoners fled out of the tall pine forest. 
~Burnt


I received my draft notice soon after I turned eighteen.
~Flying Colors


The tall blond skinny boy sat on the chair, his fingers crossed, staring at the man behind the desk.
~Ghost Island

What am I going to do with a diary?
~A Prince Charming Diary


Johnathon Dulzer!” that particular young man's mother screamed, as her nine year old son flew past dragging the cat by its tail, the remainder of the drapes still clenched in its claws.
~Justice Begins


Do you believe in other worlds?
~Key of Avalon


A thick choking dust settled over the scorching brown desert of Pègre.
~The Line in the Sand


Jill Rice was disappointed with the Van Gogh painting.
~Lord Nobody

Miss Elizabeth Bolshim slid into her desk and hastily bent over her manual, in the pretense that she had been working for a long time.
~Man of Shadow


Before I begin this second story in this ancient saga, let me ask you one simple question.
~The Pendragon Heir


An alarm shrilled, and lights flashed, but otherwise the smoke filled planet army base was deathly silent.
~Planet of DEATH


I leaned against the yellowish stone wall of the St. Norbert's Catholic school.
~The Promise


Ferrin scrambled up, onto the ridge and looked down on his little cottage with pride.
~Protectors of the Kingdom


The night sky was lit up with a strange red glow, that flickered and it was strangely warm for season of the red leaves.
~A Ranger's Quest


The black pirate ship bore down on Narik's little wolf ship, giving the young raider captain no time to turn his ship about.
~The Pirate Fleet


Sire, wake up!” the steward shouted as he burst into the King's chamber, a lighted candle in his hand.
~The Ranger's Bow

The rope bit into my wrists as the ship plunged downwards.
~In My Enemies Land


“Red alert! Red alert!” a man in a green suit yelled as he tore past rows of desks and black garbed government agents.
~The Rubbish Inventor


I think I will start by introducing myself.
~Sword of Light


A light drizzly rain was falling from the night sky.
~The Night Thief

~E

9 comments:

  1. The first sentences of Burnt, Ghost Island, The Line in the Sand, Lord Nobody, Man of Shadow, and In My Enemy's Land were PERFECT. They hooked me well.

    Justice League's just needs some minor editing, and that one will be perfect too.

    Justin's Diary had a good one too, as well as Planet of DEATH, The Rubbish Inventor, Protectors of the Kingdom and The Ranger's Bow.

    I would chop half of The Pirate Fleet's sentence and the A Ranger's Quest (changing the comma to a period). Not that the rest of the sentences were unnecessary for the story - just felt like too much for a first sentence.

    Catherine
    catherinesrebellingmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OO YES! Thank you! Critiques are the best. I will be putting this information to good use. :D But it's Justice Begins, not Justice League. :D

      Delete
    2. No problem. It's actually kind of funny, because you're not the only one who made that mistake. I originally going to use Justice League for the name of the group,(There the Justice Heroes now) but I knew there is a some group of Superheroes called that, so I didn't use it. I don't watch Superhero movies, so I don't know much about them.

      Delete
  2. They grabbed my attention! Catherine critiqued well. Like the drawings, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS I agree that first sentences are important. If a book doesn't grab me right off I never get into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true. But I have found books interesting that didn't start so.

      Delete
  4. I like a short, snappy first sentence with something interesting happening in it. Most of these were really good! I especially liked A Line In The Sand and The Black Horizon.

    Also, I love the patron saint of the year pic on your sidebar. That's a great idea!

    -Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a long time to get this comment published, sorry about that Elizabeth. I'm glad you like the "A Line in the Sand" first sentence, because that's your book, which I'm still editing.

      Thank you. I actually got the idea from Em's blog with all her pictures on the side. :D

      Delete