Friday, December 28, 2018

DoSP part 5, Xander's Diary

+JMJ+

Diary of a Sailor Prince
Part 5

First Day of the Gray Time
Finally I managed to convince Father and Mother Grimes to let me take a stab at building a flying ship. It took me only three days to succeed, but I am finally going. Mother Grimes packed me a stale roll, sliver of moldy cheese and a tiny flask of watery sour beer, wrapped in a dirty cloth. I guess she does not like me much. I shouldered the freshly sharpened ax and strode off into the forest whistling. I would not miss the Grimes family at all. They might miss all the slavery work I did for them, though. I found the clearing, and settled myself down. Then an idea entered my mind. Why was I eating? I had just had breakfast. I set aside my food and began cutting wood. Now, I had even less idea how to go about making a ship then Hank and Caleb, but I split wood anyway. Once I had a huge pile of kindling, I settled myself on the moss covered rock. My stomach was growling. I started to untie my bundle.
“Give me some food.” an irritated voice demanded. I looked up and found the old enchantress glaring at me from red eyes. I quailed. I was hungry and there was not even enough food to fill me up. But remembering what had happened to Hank and Caleb and handed her my stale roll. She snatched it from me and vanished. I drank a sip of the watery beer and a nibble of the sliver of moldy cheese. My stomach protested vehemently. I then went back to work. I used vines to tie the logs together to make sort of a raft. Getting it to fly might be a little tricky. As for making it to look like a ship, I was not even going to try.

Signing off with a weary yawn,
Me

Second Day of the Gray Time
The following day, I woke up half starving. I snatched up my practically empty bundle and was about to gulp down the rest of the cheese, when who should appear, but the old enchantress.
“I'm hungry, give me something to eat.” she said. Seething in anger, I handed her the remains of my food. The old woman reached into the bundle and pulled out a well seasoned turkey on a gold platter. My eyes bulged and my stomach growled. The old woman set the platter on the moss covered rock. Then she took two gold goblets out and a pitcher of red wine. The wine was followed by mashed potatoes, Froth Cakes, Seed cakes, white bread, mounds of fluffy butter, sugar cakes, sugar muffins, cream filled muffins, green beans baked with seeds and butter, brown beans baked with bacon and syrup. Then the enchantress handed me a plate.
“Carve up the turkey while I slip into something more comfortable.” she said. I set the plate down and picked up the carving knife and fork. The enchantress began to spin. She spun so hard she lifted two feet off the ground. She carved the turkey and stared at her. When she at last came to a stop, she was dressed in red and yellow of a fine swishing material. Her gray hair was gone, and it had been replaced by soft blond curls. Her eyes were still red. But she looked like she had regained fifty years of her life.
“Are you an enchantress?” I asked, still staring.
“Eleth is the name.” the woman said and tossed back her hair. I handed her a plate of cut turkey.
“Food.” I said.
“You shared so nice with me, I figured I should share so nice with you.” she said. I needed no further invitation, but began to wolf down the food. What cared I for manners when I was starving.
“Mmm...ph...very gooph.” I said with my mouth fully.
“Tell me, do you by any chance have a brother named Yaron?” Eleth asked. I froze in mid bite. No one on Ashtaran was supposed to know that I was really a prince. I swallowed my food.
“Maybe.” I said slowly.
“He looks just like.” Eleth laughed, “I lent him a trunk once.” I stared at her in disbelief. There was no way that Yaron's high tales about a flying trunk given to him by an enchantress were real. Was there?

Eleth stood up and clapped her hands. All the food jumped back into my bundle. I gaped and dropped my fork. Fork, plate, goblet and spoon jumped into the bag. I blinked. The bag leaped onto my lap and grew limp. It was no heavier then when it only had ale and cheese in it. But if I peeked in, I could see a marvelous feast just waiting for pop out.
“You shall not go hungry as long as you remain in Ashtaran.” Eleth said grandly, “Now for your reward.” I raised my eyebrows. Was the neverending sack of food not a reward?
“AH yes, but you did more for me, then I for you.” I attempted to explain.
“Nonsense!” Eleth laughed, and picked up my ax, “Chop ax chop!” she commanded, “Choppity, choppity, chop. Make a ship that sails on land as well as in the sea. Make her magic, make her beautiful.” The ax leaped into the air and began chopping wood. As fast as the wood was cut it flew together. Before my very eyes the finest and largest ship I had ever seen was built. I laughed.
“Thank you Eleth, thank you!” I cried gleefully, “She is a beauty.” Fine gold sails were trimmed and the name Sea Princess was written across the bow. The beautiful figurehead of a sea princess with a fish tale was on the prow.
“The ship will sail wherever you turn the wheel.” Eleth explained, “If you pull up, she will go up, if you turn down, she will go down.” she snapped her fingers and a rope ladder dropped from the rail. Then she handed me the ax. “This will chop whatever you desire.” she said. I tucked the ax and food bundle into my belt and climbed aboard.
“Thank you Enchantress!” I shouted, “My gratitude will know, no bounds!”
“One more thing,” Eleth called back, “Take aboard all those you meet traveling alone.” I shrugged. Not sure what this would gain.
“I will do as you say.” I said. One should always fulfill an enchantress' wishes or things might go poorly. Hank and Caleb could testify. That night I anchored the ship on a tree and slept in a glorious cabin that was filled with the softest pillows, warmest blankets and richest tapestries.

Signing off with pleasure,
Me

Third Day of the Gray Time
The following morning I arose and found a heated tub, clean clothes, and a delicious breakfast laid out. What a comfortable ship. My only surprise was that the clothes were as plain and patches as the ones I had been wearing previously. I decided that meant that I should continue as the simpleminded but lucky Boots. I hauled the anchor up and went up to the poop deck. I touched the wheel. The sails immediately filled the Sea Princess glided through the air. Suddenly there was a large pine tree blocking our way. I yelled in a panic and pulled hard on the wheel. The Sea Princess shot upwards almost straight. I yelled louder as my feet slid off the deck into thin air. I clutched the wheel and tried to pull back. By scrambling and pushing I managed to turn the wheel down. But this only made things worse, the ship flew towards the ground at a deadly pace. I yelled even louder and straightened her out. Then I cheered. I could fly the ship.

All for Now,
Me

Fourth Day of the Gray Time
The Sea Princess was sailing along comfortably, but I was having trouble discovering where exactly the Princess Anastasia lived. How could I claim entrance into the contest if I could not find the palace? I decided the best thing to do was ask someone for directions. So far I had seen no one traveling alone. Only a group of giggling shepherdess, a posse of disgruntled apprentices and a village of staring fools. So I was pleasantly surprised, this morning, to discover a young man walking down the road, alone. He had thick dark hair, a brown cloth tied around the lower half of his face, an enormous quiver full of arrows and a bow strapped to his back. A brown cloak, and a leather vest over black breaches and tall travel stained hunting boots.
“Hello friend?” I called, “Where are you off too?” The man looked up. I decided he was probably more like a boy then a man.
“I am off to look for sport.” was the response, “They call me Deadeye.”
“Come aboard Deadeye.” I called, “I am called Boots and could use a guide to the palace of Princess Anastasia.”
“Oh you mean the daughter of Caspian Suspesian whatever blah blah something or other the XV?” Deadeye asked.
“The very one.” I responded with a laugh.
“Well Boots, I like your ship, you seem friendly, and I know the way.” Deadeye said, “I would be quite happy to come aboard, provided you give me some breakfast.”
“No problem.” I said, and patted my food bundle. Once aboard and happily eating out of my food bundle, Deadeye explained that I had gone over the boarder of Caspian's kingdom and had entered the kingdom of his neighbor, who also happened to be Deadeye's king. I had not realized that Ashtaran was divided into smaller kingdoms. My father would have killed to get that information. It meant that Ashtaran was not as strong as my father had supposed.

Signing off for now,
Me

Fifth Day of the Gray Time
Deadeye was good company. He could tell me much about the history and places where we were going and where we had been. He had decided opinions about the rest of the world too. Although he failed to know that I was Prince Xander, he knew of my father and could name all of my siblings and myself. He thought my father was a fool and should be impeached. Deadeye was obsessed with rebellions and had traveled all over the world fighting for justice. The only place he had not visited the court of was my father's court. I soon got tired of hearing how bad and unjust my father was and started looking for any other single travelers. It was the evening of my second day with Deadeye before saw anyone else.
“Stranger on starboard bow.” Deadeye called, “I looked on the wrong side before finding the stranger. Deadeye was right. The newcomer was a stranger. He was tall, nearly as tall as the black hared. His ears were large and tapered into fine points. His long glossy white hair glistened in the afternoon light. But the strangest thing about him was that his right leg was pulled up and tied over his left shoulder. His green robe and breaches were designed in such away that this strange and uncomfortable position would not hamper their natural flow. He was wearing soft green slippers. A long sharp hunting knife hung from his waist.
“Good evening stranger.” I called, “Where hop ye too?” The man looked up and stared at me.
“But captain of the magnificent princess.” he called, “If I were to put my foot down, I would soon bound away that I would reach the furthest shores of the Third World.”
“What, even so far as to bound across the sea?” Deadeye asked.
“I run so fast my feet barely skim the water.” was the reply.
“And what do they call you?” I asked, intrigued by this ridiculous person, “I am called Boots, and my comrade is called Deadeye.”
“Swiftfoot, good sirs.” was the response.
“Well Swiftfoot, do come aboard.” I called, “We would dearly love your company and you could rest your foot.”
“Thank you.” Swiftfoot shouted. Deadeye tossed the rope ladder down and our new companion pulled himself aboard, all without untying his foot. I was quite impressed. How often does anyone meet some who can do such a feat? Swiftfoot proved to be an interesting companion. He had traveled all over Royaume and knew of things and places that I had never heard of. He and Deadeye seemed to be reviling each other in the attempt to know the best story and location. One day, I will have gone

Signing off for now,
Me

Sixth Day of the Gray Time
The sun had just appeared over the horizon, when Deadeye announced the appearance of a lone stranger. I left Swiftfoot to hold the helm, while I climbed the mainmast for a better look. Sure enough, a lone traveler was stumping along down below, along the edge of a lake. He was a big broad shouldered man. One half of his head was shaved bald, and the other half was long and straggly. A gray woolen cloak was draped over one shoulder. His shirt and breeches were also made of wool. An enormous ax was strapped to his back. He looked quite fierce. In one hand he held a small clay cup.
“Ho there.” I called, “Where go you this fine morning?” The man looked up.
“Lord and bless me!” he bellowed in a deep voice, “A ship that flies, as I live and breathe!”
“Ain't she a beauty?” Deadeye yelled back, “The finest ship to ever sail the land or skies!”
“That is is!” the stranger returned, “A darling little princess.”
“What is your name stranger?” I asked, feeling rather annoyed that he had ignored me the first time.
“I'm called Parch, captain.” the man bellowed, “And I am off to find myself a little drink.”
“Little drink?” Deadeye laughed, “What do you call that lake?”
“But a mere sip, sailor.” Parch retorted, “Would hardly wet my tongue.” Deadeye snorted in disbelief.
“Come aboard, Parch.” I called, “We could use another hand aboard, and might even find a drink for you.”
“You are to kind, Captain.” Parch bellowed back, “Anything for the chance at a drink.” I slid down the mast and flung and end of the rope ladder down. Parch climbed aboard, still holding his little cup.
“Welcome aboard the Sea Princess.” I said, “I am Boots. The boy is Deadeye and the current Pilot is Swiftfoot.”
And can Swiftfoot tell me why his foot is tied up in the most uncomfortable position?” Parch boomed, “It looks jolly uncomfortable.”
This rope is the only thing stopping me from reaching the end of the world in a few strides.” Swiftfoot said dryly.
Ha, ha. That is is so stupid.” Parch laughed.
Says the man who claims he can drink an entire lake in one sip.” Deadeye jeered. This would not do at all, these people would start a fight if I was not careful.
Stop it all of you!” I bellowed, “The purpose of this journey is for me to marry Princess Anastasia. You all will help me and in return I will help you gain what you want, am I clear? Any trouble of any kind, and I will toss you overboard.” Deadeye peered over the rail.
It sure is a long way down.” he whispered. I put my hands on my hips.
Are you with me or against me?” I demanded.
My legs are at your service!” Swiftfoot cried.
My bow is yours!” Deadeye murmured.
And my cup will always be ready at your call!” Parch boomed.
Then lets go to the palace!” I yelled. My three companions cheered.

Signing off for Now,
Me

2 comments: