Saturday, December 29, 2018

DoSP Part 6, Xander's Diary

+JMJ+

Diary of a Sailor Prince
Part Six

Seventh Day of the Gray Time
We had anchored for the night without running into anyone all day, when all of a sudden, and enormous fat man waddled into sight. He had a bushy red beard and was wearing a red cloak. His belt buckle was bursting around his middle. He carried a steaming basket filled with chickens, ducks and even a plump goose. His round face looked rather glum.
“Got any drinks about you?” Parch bellowed as he slid down a rope to the ground.
“I am starving to death.” the fat man moaned, “I hardly have time to think about a little drink. My belly is so hollow you could fly your ship inside.”
“I believe you.” Parch said seriously.
“You might also fit an entire castle in there too.” Deadeye added as he slid down the rope to join them. The fat man burst into tears.
“No one loves me.” he sobbed, “They starve me and make fun of how hungry I am.” I watched as Deadeye and Parch looked at each other in confusion.
“Hey fatso, they were making fun of how fat you are, not how hungry you are.” Swiftfoot called as he leaped over the rail and landed lightly on the ground.
“Really?” the fat man asked as his face cleared up, “That is alright then.” I slid down the rope and joined them.
“Pleased to meet you sir.” I said calmly, “I am Boots, and my outspoken companions are; Deadeye, Swiftfoot and Parch.”
“I should have been mentioned first.” Swiftfoot protested “Judging by how useful we are, I am your second-”
“If Boots was going by how useful you are, you would have been last!” Deadeye interrupted, “Everyone knows that you are not really useful at all!”
“And I am Hunger!” the fat man boomed, “I live in constant distress about starving to death.”
“He has enough extra padding in that tum, tum to walk to the ends of the worlds.” Swiftfoot whispered loudly to Parch.
“Not to mention a basket full of enough food to feed dozens of people.” Deadeye said dryly. Hunger's lips trembled and he burst into tears.
“No one loves me.” he sobbed, “Everyday they make fun of my hunger.”
“So eat what is in the basket.” I suggested.
“That could barely wet my appetite.” Hunger wailed, “It would simply make me hungrier.”
“You certainly have an enormous appetite.” I said in amazement, “But if you come with us, my food sack might just take the edge off of your ap-” I stopped. The word had been used to many times, “The edge off of your hunger.” Hunger grasped my arms.
“You think so?” he cried thickly, “You would do all this for little old me?”
“You mean, big old you, right?” Swiftfoot said flatly.
“Enormous old you. Would fit the bill.” Deadeye said.
“Methinks, infinite old you, would be best.” Parch said with a hoarse laugh.
“Come you all,” I snapped “The man of the hollow tum, tum is our companion. Show some respect.” The others snickered. I may have trouble with them later. Ungrateful cads.

Signing off with exhaustion,
Me

Eight Day of the Gray Time
About now, I decided that Deadeye knew where the palace was even less then I did. Why I could almost swear we were going in circles. When I brought the subject up, everyone pointed out another direction, saying the palace lay just over there. So much for useful companions. If I was not obeying Eleth the Enchantress, I certainly would have dumped them overboard. They certainly deserved that fate.
“We shall simply have to ask around until we find someone, who can tell us.” I said sternly.
“I tell you, the palace is just on the other side of that forest.” Swiftfoot barked.
“If you ask me-” Hunger began timidly.
“I did not!” Swiftfoot snarled.
“No it is over there just a mile or so.” Deadeye said, “In a valley. I tell you, we are going in the right direction!”
“If you ask me-” Hunger began timidly.
“We passed the palace!” Parch boomed, “It lies behind us, half a league.”
“If you ask me-” Hunger began timidly.
“Shut up!” my other companions chorused. We were not getting anywhere with the argument. I wondered over to the rail and leaned on it. With no clear direction in mind, I allowed the ship to wander where it wished. The others continued to argue and fight over their own personal opinions. We sailed along this way for several hours. Presently, I spotted a man seated on the branch of a tree. He had long thick white hair and sharpy pointy ears. His leaf plated armor was black. A long knife rested on his lap. He was watching us without the slightest look of surprise at seeing a flying ship.
“Morning, stranger.” I drawled, “Seen many such ships as my Princess in your day?”
“No. But I heard you a long ways off, so was quite prepared.” the man said dryly, “The name is Sharp, and the palace lies to your left on the other side of that mountain, just as Hunger has been trying to tell you all along.” I stared at him very blankly. How had he known what we were looking for, or that Hunger was trying to give his opinion?
“Who is this nosy fellow, shall I send him on his way?” Deadeye asked, as he joined me at the rail. He placed an arrow on the string of his bow and bent it.
“Deadeye, put that bow away.” Sharp said coolly, “And toss a rope down. According to the Enchantress's directions, Boots is required to take me aboard.” My eyes bulged and I finally found my voice.
“How did you know?” I gaped.
“My sharp, sharp ears hear what I want.” Sharp said dryly, “Now allow me to board and stop wasting time, or the King will marry his daughter off to a random stranger.”
“Haul him aboard!” I yelled, “Time is wasting.” Deadeye tossed the rope over, and Sharp came up hand over hand like a monkey. The others joined us, and I introduced everyone.
“Why, as I live and breathe, another Elf.” Swiftfoot cried, “The presence of more intelligent company will be most welcome.”
“I am glad you think I am more intelligent then you.” Sharp said, and strode past him, “Boots you should lower the sails a smidge. It will be quite rocky sailing over the mountains on full sail.”
“Can we send him back?” Deadeye asked me in a whisper.
“Deadeye, it is quite rude to talk about people behind their backs, whether they can hear or not.” Sharp said sternly. Deadeye looked a little taken aback. I could foresee trouble. This Sharp could hear everything. It might stop the insults, but it could cause more complaints.

Signing off with Worry,
Me

Ninth Day of the Gray Time
The annoying thing about Sharp, was that he was always right. But he said everything in such a way that no one wanted to listen to him. Needless to say I never ordered the sails lowered a smidge. When steering upwards, great gusts of wind came down from the mountains and drove us back. Deadeye, Hunger, Parch and Swiftfoot, attempted to row but the wind was to strong. They blamed Sharp since he refused to help. He simply leaned against the mast and yawned. No one wanted to give into him and take the sails down. Our silly pride forced us to waste an entire day. Sharp finally took pity on our stupidity and cut the sails down. The beautiful sails crashed to the deck and the Sea Princess shot over the mountain with lightening speed. But because it was night, we were forced to toss anchor, on the very peek of the mountain. It was freezing up there. I had never seen snow before, but I saw it then.
“What are you staring at?” Deadeye asked, as I stared at the blanket of white, glistening in the setting sun.
“That beautiful cold white glittering-” I began.
“It is snow!” Sharp said dryly, “Nothing more or less.”
“I grew up in a desert.” I snapped, “I do not know what weather is, let alone snow.”
“Never seen snow?” Sharp asked seriously, “Then what seasons do you have instead of the Icy Season and Frosterdays?”
“No we have those.” I said quickly, “But it is still quite warm.”
“Then why do you call it Icy Season and Frosterdays?” Deadeye asked, “That sounds quite stupid to me.”
“Don't ask me.” I protested, “I never made the calender.”
“Hello up there.” a new voice called from the ground. Glad of an escape, I rushed to peer over the edge. A young boy in a leather jerkin, carrying a bundle of gleaming straw was standing waist deep in snow, watching us.
“Get him aboard!” I yelled, my teeth started chattering, “Before the cold kills him.”
“I like the cold.” the boy said, “It never bothered me anyway.”
“Yes, but it bothers me.” I replied, “Far to cold. Give me a warm desert any day.”
“Do you see this straw on my back.” the boy said quietly, “Why, when I scatter it about, the warmest place, the warmest day will turn to ice. Everything will freeze and snow will fall.”
“That will be quite useful.” Sharp said, as he joined me at the rail, “Come aboard small child.”
“The name is Bale.” the boy said.
“Like straw bale.” Deadeye whispered.
“Hold you tongue, impudent boy!” Sharp told him coldly.
“Alright, come aboard.” I told Bale, “But do not scatter that bale of straw, anywhere in my presence. I think I do not like the cold.” Swiftfoot tossed a rope overboard. Bale grabbed it, and Parch hauled him aboard.
“Thank you.” Bale said, as he stepped onto the deck and looked around himself, with something like awe on his face.
“Welcome to my company, Bale.” I said, “I am Boots. Fatso is called Hunger. Baldy is called Parch. One leg is called Swiftfoot. Masked fool is called Deadeye. And white hair is called Sharp.”
“And we are going to find a princess.” Deadeye said, while pointing at me, “He wants to wed one. A sour faced someone called Anastasia.”
TRUE LUUUUUUUUUVE!” the others all chorused. I glared at them. What a rotten bunch of comrades.

Signing off with Chills and Irritation,
Me

Tenth Day of the Gray Time
We crossed the mountain and flew down into a deep valley. A vast city was spread far below. From our lofty heights I could see the little market village, and the Grime's hut. It was rather embarrassing how long it took to get to the city. If I had not sailed clean past the palace five times over, I would have arrived long ago, without so many unwanted companions. Speaking of companions, we picked up another one on a lane adjoining the main road. A single boy, even younger then Bale, was seated on a stone, with a small bundle of wood on his lap. His name was Con and he soon joined our company with very little persuasions.
“So what does your bundle do?” Deadeye asked, “Heat the world up?”
“Of course not.” Con replied simply, “That is silly.”
“This child might be a normal child.” Swiftfoot said, “Toss him back. He is a mistake.”
“I am a normal child.” Bale protested.
“When tossed upon the ground, my sticks will transform into the finest soldiers that ever lived and breathed.” Bale said.
“Forget about normal.” I said, and patted Swiftfoot on the arm, “He is as weird as the rest of you.”
“I am not weird at all.” Sharp said coldly, “Just very intelligent.”
“In a weird sort of way.” Deadeye smirked. While my seven strange companions started a fistfight, I sailed the ship towards the city. We met many groups of staring open mouthed strangers. Luckily for me, not a single other flying ship could be seen. We anchored above the city gates and were accosted by a grim faced guard. Tonight we shall wine and dine in a public house. Tomorrow we shall approach the palace.

Signing off with cheerfulness,
Me


Hunger

Sharp

Bale

Con

God Bless You All

2 comments:

  1. I already like Bale. :)

    And “I am glad you think that I am more intelligent than you.” HYSTERICAL!

    ReplyDelete