Saturday, June 1, 2019

Prince Charming Diaries Vol. 3 DoTP, Part 2

+
+JMJ+

Diary of a Thundering Prince
Part Two

Floodway, 29, Year of the Blue Moon

Greetings Book,
So much has happened, I am quite at a loss for words. Metis and Rhea took me away from the island. We walked underwater until we reached shore. I felt a strange odd tingling feeling as soon as I stepped on the common ground. I looked in every direction. Were my people somewhere nearby? But no, I did not feel as if I belonged there either. I was given a toga and a hood to hide my sea garments. The two Nyads wrapped themselves in heavy shawls. We went to a city. Tall hideous stone buildings and crude wooden structures made up the living quarters of the humans. I have seldom seen uglier places. Actually to be honest, I have never seen such ugly places. How can the humans stand it?

We went into a white pillared building of stone. It reminded me slightly of Nereus' palaces beneath the water. But not quite as large or beautiful.
“Where are we going?” I ventured to ask. Metis flung aside her shawl. Two golden haired maidens with oil lamps were standing to great us. But they took one look at the Nyad's flowing green hair and rippling water gown, then they fled screaming.
“Into the temple of the stars.” Metis said.
“Another really bad idea.” Rhea said, and cast her own shawl aside.

We went past the pillars and into a star shaped forum. It was empty except for a small star shaped stone table in the center. On it lay a massive sword. It flickered in the lamplight. I could have sworn that it was glowing. Strange runes were carved in the blade.
“What is that for?” I asked, “It seems to me that a blade like that would be better off being used instead of gathering dust.”
“So it would.” said Metis, “But it has turned mighty princes to ashes.”
“What?” I cried, and backed away.
“This is the Thunderer.” Rhea said, and gestured wildly, “Only the son of the Star Father can wield, all others turn to ashes.” I looked down at the floor and gulped. The floor was gray with ashes. I backed up some more.

“The prophecy of the Oracle states that the tyrannical reign of the Star people will only end when the first born takes up the Thunderer and slays his father.” Metis said.
“What?” I cried taking a step forward, “Why would any child slay their father? Now matter how hard and cruel he is. They are blessed to have a father. Do they not know the pain of the orphans? Of the fatherless? To know the man who fathered you is a joy. No child could slay the one who sired them.” Metis looked at me hard.
“Is that what you believe, Zeus?” she asked. I nodded. What a terrible prophecy. It would never come true. It could not.

“Well, I for one would be pleased if the Star Father met a timely end.” Rhea said, “He is a tyrant beyond your worst dreams, Zeus.” I did not answer. I felt bad for the Star Father.
“I seem to have sheltered you a little to much.” Metis sighed, “You see, the Star people hold all of the Sea World in a grip of fear and terror. We are forced to bow and grovel before them. Our food is reduced by three fourths. They take and rarely give. We must pay exuberant prices to eat, yet do all the labor to grow the food. We are the slaves of the Star people. They steal our women and children and kill our men. They take our treasures and beat us. The tax sharers destroy our homes and take everything we own. The people are in wretched condition.”
“Why does no one help them?” I cried in a rage, “Even the poorest are entitled to a little bit of joy.”
“Who is left to help?” Metis sighed, “They have seized the rebel captains. Skinned them alive then either cast them into pots of fire to die in worse agonies, or nailed their lacerated bodies to crosses and crucified them. Yet still the rebellion lives. We simply need a leader.”
“We?” I gasped, “Mother Metis, you will die if they catch you.”
“Aye, but the Star people enter not the waters.” Metis said.

“The rebels will be victorious.” Rhea said impatiently, “The Reign of the Star Father and his Kindred will come to end, when the First Born takes up the Thunderer of his fathers and slays the tyrant.”
“What a terrible prophecy.” I whispered.
“What about the terrible plight of the people?” Metis said. I hung my head. Killing would only lead to more killing. If only I had staid oblivious to the truth on the island. Then I raised my head.
“So steal the first born and train him.” I said. Rhea laughed.
“That is like so impossible, Zeus.” she said, “First of all, the Star Father always slays the child as the first born enters the world. It is always the second born who inherits the star throne.”
“What? He slays his own child?” I cried in a rage. Rhea stuck her tongue out and ran one finger along her throat. I gulped and looked at Metis. She nodded but avoided my eyes.

“So when the next First Born is born steal him!” I said grimly, “Rescue him from death. Train him to be a rebel.”
“How?” Rhea snorted, “The star palace is in the air. I can breathe underwater, but not fly. I am no fairy! Not even the Nymphs can do that.”
“You would have to wait nearly twenty years.” Rhea said as she twisted her coral ring, “Cronus, the Star Father, has already done away with his first born. You must wait for his second born, Hades, to bring forth a child.”
“So we wait.” I said.
“We have no time.” Rhea cried, “We must strike now. You see in two days time, the Star Father will process through this city. We must destroy him then!”
“So you can be flailed alive?” I cried, “Lady Rhea, that is a terrible plan. You need a plan! A real plan! Surely the Star Father has guards and an entourage. You will be caught.”
“Yes, but we have an army. It has all gathered in the labyrinth beneath the city.” Metis said, “Besides, I have a secret weapon.” She would not tell us what that weapon was. But I doubted that it would work.

Farewell for now,
Zeus

Floodway, 30, Year of the Blue Moon

Greetings Book,
We spent the night near the stream which flowed into the city. Of course the two Nyads slept in the water. I slept on the damp bank. When morning came, I discovered that both were gone. But a shell had been slipped into my hands.
“Stay out of trouble.” was written on it. I pocketed it and returned to the city. At least I could get a look around. I felt slightly uncomfortable. I was in an unfamiliar place, and on my own for the first time in my life. Everything was different then the previous night. The streets were no longer deserted. Ragged and well dressed people were milling about. Large windows were opened in the sides of some of the wooden buildings. Wares were placed on tables. Veiled women with baskets were looking at the items. Food, cloth, and other things. I stared around me in wonder.

I soon noticed that I was not the only one staring. People were pointing at me and whispering. When they saw me glance at them, they cowered away. They were afraid of me. Yet many of them carried knives. I was completely unarmed. I wished they would stop staring. They were making me uncomfortable. Where did Rhea and Metis go? Why did they leave me in this wretched place?

I approached a blanket where a large strongly built man was seated cross legged. His long black hair was divided into several dreadlocks. His clothes were made of animal skins and furs. The sides of his tunic were held together with bone pins. His feet were bare. On his shoulder perched a large black bird. Scattered around him on the blanket were many books and scrolls. I stared. His skin was darker then the people I was used too.

“Well, well, look who has graced me with their presence?” the man snarled rudely. I frowned. Did he know who I was?
“I am Zeus.” I said hesitantly, “I do not think you actually know who I am.”
“You will the Star scabs?” he asked. A hush ran through the market. The crowd seemed to freeze.
“No.” I said feeling even more confused, “I came from the sea.”
“Ah, one of the Sea People, then.” the man said, “That is better. I am Hercules.” he stuck out one large browned hand. The crowd unfroze and continued with their business.
“Nice to meet you.” I said, and shook his hand.

“You hear for the procession or to read?” Hercules asked as he picked up two fat volumes and waved them in my face.
“Maybe both.” I said, “I cannot seem to find my guides.”
“Then I suggest books.” Hercules said with a slow grin, “What catches your fancy.”
“Do you have anything on the History of Sea World?” I asked. Once more the crowd froze. It was so quiet I could hear my heart beating.
“Those books are forbidden, by the mighty Star Swine.” Hercules drawled, “Confiscated by the Tax Sharers and burned publicly.”
“Oh.” I mumbled. Apparently I was not doing so well.
“But of course I have a copy or two.” Hercules continued, “Do you think I obey the Star Scabs? Not a fat little chance.” He tossed aside some scrolls and handed me a five inch thick volume, which was about two feet tall. I staggered under the sudden weight.

“Hercules, you will get us all in trouble.” someone wailed, “Do not give him that book!” I stared at the jeweled cover of the huge book and wondered what exactly I had done.
“Bah!” Hercules snorted, “The kid can learn all about his history in this book. Why it was written and blessed by the Oracles. It has it's own power.” The crowd began to move quickly and disappear down various streets and into buildings.
“Maybe I should not read this.” I said.
“Read it!” Hercules sneered, “Or are you a coward? Do you obey a tyrant or do you love freedom?”
“I just heard about the tyrant yesterday.” I said.
“What rock did you crawl out from under?” the book seller cried, “Everyone knows about Cronus!” As soon as he had said the name, the entire crowd disappeared and the jewels began to glow red.

“Drop the book!” Rhea's familiar voice shrieked. I whirled, a little to fast, and the book flew out of my hands and hovered in midair. The pages opened and a brilliant light flashed out.
“Beware the hand of the First Born!” the book said.
“Ugh!” I yelled, “It talked!” Books were not supposed to talk.
“Well, I never. The Oracle.” Hercules cried, “Good job kid, you managed to unchained the Oracle.”
“Good job Zeus.” Rhea said, “Time to get out of here!” she grabbed my arm and pulled me through the deserted streets. Hercules shouted after us, but I could no longer hear him.

Farewell for now,
Zeus

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment