Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Prince Charming Diaries vol. 3 DOSP, Part 4

+
+JMJ+

Prince Charming Diaries vol. 3
Diary of a Somber Prince

Rainy Season, 7, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
You are the one that said I was neglecting the Queen of the Underworld and should make her sit on a throne at my side. When I said no, you called me a coward. By singing a song about a king who was scared that his twelve sons would dethrone him, so he killed them all. You are a horrible person. Well, I am off to fetch your Queen. I hope you are satisfied!

Persephone had taken to climbing the small fruit trees. They barely bent under her weight, which surprised me. They are tiny wretched little things.
“Come down.” I said with as much dignity as I could muster. She stared back silently out of her deep green eyes. I felt a strange wave of discomfort. What right had she to look at me like that?
“Do you order me to come down?” she asked at last. I was somewhat taken aback.
“N-no.” I said hesitantly, “If you wish to stay up there, you can.” To my surprise, she slid down.

“I have come down.” Persephone said slowly, “Now tell me what you wish.” I had to think for a moment. What did I wish? I had been prepared to argue and quarrel with her. But when she had obeyed with barely a comment, I was rather taken aback.
“You are not a prisoner here.” I said at last. I held out my hand towards her, “Come, allow me to show you all those under your rule. For you are the Queen of the Underland.” Both Persephone and I flinched as soon as the words were out of my mouth. She drew away from me. Inwardly I berated myself. She was my prisoner. She certainly was not the Queen of the Underland and none of my people would bow to her word. I guessed similar thoughts were running through her head.

Feeling rather foolish, I dropped my hand. This was all rather embarrassing. I wished I had not been goaded into approaching her. As soon as I get out of here, I will wring your stinking neck. I can see you over by the shade well, laughing at me. You are a heinous person. I hate you so much.

“Tell me, husband.” Persephone said coldly, “Why did you bring me here? You do not seem to care about having a wife at all, so why did you marry me?” Inwardly, I squirmed under her steadfast gaze. But outwardly, I'm proud to say I was a stern, glowering, immovable rock.
“Politics.” I said loftily. Then you came running, eager to spoil this moment of bonding between your sovereigns.
“Hades?” you yelled, “You cannot say-” I clapped a hand over your mouth. But I was not looking at you. I saw her. Eris was leering at us from the edge of the groove. We were the sport of her pleasure. She was sewing discord amongst us.

“Well, King of night, are you afraid to let your subjects speak?” Persephone said in a low mocking voice, her lips curled in disgust. I released your mouth.
“I am not the sport of Nymphs!” I roared, and swept off, knocking against your shoulder. Persephone leaped lightly aside.
“And I will not be your sport either!” she shouted after me, “I defy your every word!” She had been approachable only two minutes earlier. Now she would spit at me if given the chance. I did not bother explaining that I had been yelling at Eris, not her. Why should I explain anything to the likes of her.

Hades

Rainy Season, 8, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus
I was leaning back in my blackwood throne, staring at the carved magoon heads, when Persephone came running. She exploded out of the Pomegranate Groove like a forest fire. I barely had time to sit up before she was on top of me.
“You infamous swine!” she screamed. Not matter what you say, I am a gentleman, and would not hit a girl, at least not with my bare hands. I have tried to hack one's head off before, with a nice bright sword. Twice actually.

“What has gotten into you?” I yelled, as I twisted her arms behind her. There was an old saying which said something about keeping friends close, but enemies even closer. I understood the saying now. The only way to stop her from attacking me, was the crush her against my ribs.
“Let go of me!” she shouted, but in a more exhausted voice.
“I have to think about myself.” I retorted, “If you mean to kill me, I intend to prevent it.” I felt her relax, and saw her shoulders droop. I let go of her and she slid awkwardly to the floor, then burst into tears. This was even more embarrassing. The only comeback I could think of, was to yell at her. That had obviously not worked last time.

“Y-you are a horrible person.” she sobbed, and buried her face in her hands. Well, anyone could say that. I shrugged, and lifted my legs away from her, draping them over the arm of the chair. I did not want her to attack me again. It was not very comfortable, the other arm bit into my back, painfully. Ah the trials I put up with.
“Well, many people say that.” I said with much more cheerfulness, then I felt, “But what can you actually accuse me with?” As soon as the words left my mouth, I bit my tongue. What an idiot I was. I had kidnapped her, forced her to live in the dark and be my wife. Yes, she had much to accuse me of. But which one of those was she bringing up?

“Orpheus said, that you married me to spite Zeus.” Persephone cried, “How could you? I am your petty revenge. Oh it is so unbearable. What had he ever done to you? You are a hateful coward!” I swiveled around and sat up straight. You told her, that? How could you, you cursed dog. This time I mean to kill you outright!
“He told you that?” I hissed and stood up. I was so furious, that I could barely stand. My breath was coming in hard gasps. Persephone stopped crying and looked up at me. I saw a look of fear cross her face. She, like everyone else, should cower before me. I strode past her, my black robes flowing beind me. I was hunting you.

You and Cronis were discussing the possibility of completely the Olympian tunnel by the new year. I made a flying leap, and caught hold of your throat. I was so angry, that I could only see red.
“You heinous wretch!” I screamed.
“Master.” Cronis said, in his dead voice. He laid hands on my arms. I flung him away. Then I was on top of you, choking you. Everyone was screaming. Arms were pinned to my side and I was dragged off, the choking wretch, that you were. Someone forced me to drink something slimy and bitter. Lethe. Then everything went black.

Hades

Rainy Season, 9, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
You are not dear, why do I persist in calling you that. But that is how I have chosen to address this volume, and that is how it shall continue.

You were judged today. I cared not that Persephone has locked herself in her chambers all day, and has pleased twice for your life. I told her to mind her own business, as she was nothing to me, and neither are you. Rhadamanthus approached the stand, pausing only to bow before me. I barely nodded at him. The waters of Lea the had not been able to wipe all the frenzy from my blood. I still wanted to tare you apart. But I was rather taken aback when the furies, the three Erinyes, half led, half dragged you to the judgment. You had been terrible bruised and beaten. I nearly clutched at my head in surprise, then clutched at my chair instead. All I remembered was trying to strangle you. Had I been in such a blind frenzy, that I had beaten and mutilated you too? I felt a spark of remorse, somewhere deep inside of me. But I refused to back down now. It would shame me.

“Hades,” you whispered through cracked, bloodied lips, “I will not fall and beg for mercy. I once told you, that you would one day turn against even me, and when that day would happen, I would not bow and grovel.” I bit my lip so hard, that I tasted blood.
“And I swore, that you would beg for mercy or be sorry!” I hissed. The anger was returning, taking away the remorse. You bowed your head. Stubborn fool. The furies cracked their whips. Angry murmurs filled the still air.
“I always said, kill him.” Charon grunted, “Nothing but trouble.”
“You had pity on me.” Prometheus said gently, “Have pity on him.” But I could not meet his gaze. I knew that the same frenzy that had caused my father to send Prometheus to a living death, was in blood. I was the same as my father. It was fated to be so. I could not escape fate.

“Orpheus, you are banished from the Underworld and it's kind for eternity.” I said icily, “If you return I will not be answerable for your fate. All have the right to slay thee.” I saw Euridice looking at me. There was a look of despair on her pale face. I looked away. To part the two of you would be suitable punishment. You made now answer. Then Pluto leaped onto my shoulder.
“Master, far be it from me to protest your judgment, but Euridice and Orpheus meant to wed, and as the rings have been exchanged, and they waited nothing but the vows, she should depart too.” he whispered.
“I will not be advised by a monkey!” I yelled. Pluto leaped away.
“I will go wherever my lord goes, if my master will permit it.” Euridice cried, and flung herself at my knees. There was a general clamor of agreement in favor of this. I was sick of the situation. I was so angry, that I wanted to make everyone unhappy.

“Euridice may accompany Orpheus into exile.” I said bitterly. You gasped, and everyone else stared. I felt rather pleased to have shocked them. “Only if Orpheus will not turn around once to see if she is following.” I added, “She must make no noise.”
“Oh thank you, thank you.” the foolish girl cried and rushed to embrace and kiss you. I turned away. My wife would never share the same affection with me. But why would I wish her too. I needed no comforting embrace of a woman. I sneered at you.

“Charon, accompany the happy villains to the entrance.” I said, as I stood up, “Bring back the errant Euridice, when her lord fails in his faith, and turns. Give her a mortal draft of Lethe. She will forget him forever.” I strode off stiffly. It would not be long now. You would believe me capable of carrying your love off. You traitor. I smiled coolly. The tunnels echoed with your wretched cry and her despairing sobs before I was out of earshot. Revenge is sweet.

Hades

Rainy Season, 10, year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
Two sobbing females, who refuse to look at me, and no song to cheer me up. It's really rather sorry, you know. But I will not miss you. I have no need of your siren songs. You are a plague on my memory. Pluto has been following me very closely, since yesterday. Perhaps he wants to be banished as well. Everyone else has been avoiding me. And well they should. I have exiled Orpheus, the close companion, they certainly fear, what terror I have in store for them.

I was in need of refreshment, so I decided to speak with Translo. I had not done this since his tantrum about Persephone. I wondered if he was still ignoring me. I stirred the pool and waited. He appeared before I had even taken the staff out.
“So Hades.” he said in a grim voice, “Are you not ashamed to show your face to me?”
“And why should I be?” I flashed, “What had I ever done to you?”
“Hades, do you ever wonder why you have no friends?” Translo asked after a long silence.
“I don't want any friends, fool!” I retorted, “I am a powerful war lord, and tyrant! That is my calling!”
“Why?” was the cool reply.
“Because I say so.” I said rather sulkily. Why did he have to be so annoying.

“Hades!” Translo shouted, “Stop! You are so disgusting, you make me sick!” I sat back in surprise. I had never seen him so angry.
“What?” I replied, allowing an innocent look to cross my face. I would not admit it to anyone, but I had an uncomfortable feeling about the whole affair. But I had enough pride to know that I would never back down.
“Hades!” Translo shouted again.
“My dear, Translo.” I said in a purring voice, “Control yourself. As a man, you should not allow such violent emotions, to control you.”
“I am warning you, Hades!” was the furious reply. I laughed softly.
“What need have I of your warnings.” I sneered, and stirred the water. He would cool off. He always did. I was twice the man he would ever be.

Hades

Rainy Season, 11, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
You would be ashamed of yourself, if you knew how much trouble you had caused. I was awakened by the screeching of the Furies. Clamping my hands over my ears, I rushed to silence them. But by the time I left my chambers, the air was resounding with the screams and cries of my people. Cerberus' rough barking drowned out all, but the Furies.

Forgetting even my cloak, in my haste, I rushed to find out the ruckus. But I saw the trouble before Charon fished filling me in. The waters of Lethe had risen in a wild cyclone of fury. The deadly water was being sucked up in the funnel. Water spouted up out of the funnel and splattered everywhere. This was the cause of the concern, among my people.

“Silence!” I roared. But my voice sounded pitiful in the earsplitting noise. I caught hold of Charon and bellowed for him to fetch my staff. The urgency of the situation, must have stopped him from arguing. By the time I had shoved my way to the edge of the spraying mess, Charon had returned. I took my staff and struck the water. With one last roar, it plunged into it's bed, then was rushed down it's course, growing slower and slower. I stirred the murky water. Nothing happened. Then I realized what had happened. Translo, was getting revenge on me. He had closed the gateway between our worlds. What a spiteful swine.

“Everyone, return to your rest.” I growled, “The situation is well in hand. The Olympians have failed to destroy us, again. They are no match for my superior powers.” I was lying, but they did not need to know that. Rhadamanthus hesitated by my side, as the others disappeared into the darkness.
“Master,” he hissed from under his dark hood, “That was not the power of Olympus. Perhaps Nereus?” I laughed.
“To bed Rhadamanthus.” I sneered, “Your wits have been addled by the spray of Lethe.”
“An army bound on lies, will be evil.” the dark judge said gloomily.
“Away with you!” I barked, “I have no need of the constant nagging, and bossing of others. Begone! You are my slave, not my counselor.” I turned and strode off. As I passed Persephone's chamber, I saw her red head vanishing behind her door. So the little brat had been eavesdropping. But what matter. I cared nothing for her.

Hades

Raining Season, 12, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
It felt unnatural to be walking through the Pomegranate Grove without you. Not that I miss you. How could anyone miss your constant whining and nagging, anyway? I came upon Persephone. She was leaning against a tree and sighing.
“Oh for one drop of sunlight.” she whispered.
“What need have you, of sunlight?” I demanded, “Are not the very walls of your chamber, dripping with gems and jewels?”
“Dead cold stones do not please me.” she whispered, without looking up, “I must breathe the air, see the sun, and dance amongst the flowers. Down here, I shall soon grow as cold and hateful as you.”
“Lady, that is a cruel thing to say.” I retorted, “I, your lord and husband.” Then she looked up. There was contempt in her face.

How this conversation would have ended, I know not, for at that very moment, Pluto leaped onto my shoulder.
“Master, the Sunlight Nymphs care nothing for the stones of the earth.” he protested. A black rage seized my heart. Why was everyone so busy telling me what I could and could not do these days? I caught hold of the white monkey, by his ridiculous tail.
“Out of my sight, you contemptible, little brute!” I shouted and hurled him into the very center of Lethe. He sank, with a hideous screeching sound. I gasped. Mortals died if they bathed in the deadly water. I had killed my friend? I was to battle my enemies. Why was I destroying my most loyal followers? I was a fool.

“Master?” Rhadamanthus hissed, as he approached me, “I am the judge, shall not the monkey have taken a worthy trial?”
“Silence, fool!” I yelled, “I had the right to judge as I see fit. I saw that he deserved to parish in Lethe.” I turned and strode off.
“Hades!” Persephone screamed after me, “You cannot always turn your back on the crimes of your making! One day you will have to face your problems! You cannot always throw a tantrum and walk away from it!” What did she know of such things? In the Underworld, I could do as I pleased.

Hades

Rainy Season, 13, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
Was I wrong? Has my whole life been one long lie? Once I swore, that I would be a honest Star Lord. But now I look at my path, I have banished you, my dearest friend. I have murdered, my only other friend. I must truly be contemptible. Prometheus truly seems attached to me, but even he would leave if given the chance. I am a hateful despicable person. I would cast myself into Lethe, if I thought it did any good. Falling down, and begging pardon, would not be enough, even if my pride would let me. I miss you. Perhaps wanting you to come back is as selfish as everything else I have been doing. Maybe I should let you make a new life, as far away from me, as you can get. You should forget all about me. But could you forget Euridice? I have done wrong in making her forget you. If only I could undo this wrong. But how? Who can I turn to for advice? Translo, Pluto and you, are all gone.

Hades

Rainy Season, 14, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
Nymphs! Of course, some say, they can bring peace and restore or remove memories from the unhappy. Eris would be out of the question. That wretch would happily, cause poor Euridice to suffer unspeakable horrors for the rest of her miserable life. But would Persephone do as I ask? Could I even ask her? It would require telling her that I was repenting of my decisions. I cannot bare to let her of all people think I am changing my mind. That I am backing down.

I approached the stone door to Persephone's chamber. It did resemble the door to the torture chamber in the old Star Palace. I shuddered. Unpleasant memories flooded my mind. No matter what anyone said, I was not the most cruel tyrant in existence. I touched my neck. I could almost feel the knife against my neck and hear my grandfather's voice. I shuddered again. “If you speak, or so much as breathe the truth, boy, I will slit you in two like a stinking pig!” the horrible words echoed in my mind. Angrily, I pounded on the door. I was not going to be a coward. But the bravest man in the world should fear the Star Rulers. Tyrants, all of them. I would have been the worst yet.

The door scraped open, and Persephone looked out. This was the first time, I had actually approached her, in her chamber. Her pale face grew harder as she looked at me.
“I will not speak with you.” she said grimly, “Go away!” She started to shut the door. Angry words welled up inside me, I forced myself to swallow them. I stuck my foot in the door, stopping it from shutting all the way.
“You need to attend to Euridice.” I said boldly.
“Excuse me?” she cried, “I will not be ordered about by a bully.” I gasped, to stop my anger, from choking me.
“I was not giving you a choice!” I barked, as I caught hold of the door and yanked it open. She screamed and backed away. I caught hold of her wrist. She screamed again and began to struggle.

I dragged the screaming girl out of her room and down the steps towards the edge of the water. I suspected that she thought I was going to fling her into the water, like I did to Pluto. You would probably have thought the same thing. Indeed, I had half a mind to do it.
“Help!” Persephone screamed, “Let me go!” She scratched at my fingers, making them bleed. I ignored the pain. I had endured much more then digging fingernails. Her pitiful attempts to hurt me, were nothing. A little flash of pain was more invigorating than anything else.

We reached the shores of the gently lapping, murky water. I released the girl, and she fell to the ground. I strode a little ways away from her. Euridice, was seated on a stone, turning a red gem over in her hands. She had been silent since your banishment. Lethe had not completely destroyed her love for you. I hope you are happy. She stood up as I approached.
“Have you need of me, master?” she whispered, her voice was so quiet, I very nearly did not hear it.
“Sit down!” I barked. Then I looked over my shoulder, “Persephone, come here!” The red haired nymph stood up and approached me. Her somber black cloak, making her hair, look even more like fire. Euridice sat back down, her shoulders slumped.
“What do you want me to do?” Persephone whispered, but her eyes were on the unhappy girl.
“Sing!” I barked, “Sing her memories back! Help her remember him.” I turned and walked off. If it was true, that Nymphs could restore memories, I wanted to be as far away from the noise as possible. I wanted Euridice to remember you, but I did not want to remember anything I had gone through great pains to forget.

Hades.

Rainy Season, 15, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
It seemed that I was running down a narrow winding passage. A terrible heat was all about, causing me to sweat. The walls were already turning red hot as the fire drew closer. But even closer was the warrior on my tail. No one believed in the Amazon Warrioresses, but I had seen them with my own eyes. My knife had drawn blood. Tantila caught hold of me and flung me against the wall.
“Now you die, you cursed offspring of an evil sire!” She pressed the knife into my throat, just as the fire came roaring around the corner. We were both doomed.

I sat up gasping. Twice I had been pursued in the labrynth by an Amazonian Warrioress. I shuddered. Cold sweat was pouring down my face and soaking my clothes. Shivering, I climbed out of bed and opened my door. It was dark as usual, but it seemed darker. Perhaps it was Midnight in the Overworld. The air was filled with song. Singing in the Underworld? What horror was this? Then I remembered Persephone. If she was restoring my memories, what was she doing to everyone else? Shivering, I grabbed my cloak, and darted down the path.

Persephone was seated on the shores of Lethe. Euridice's head was in her lap. The dark haired girl was sobbing hysterically. The red haired girl, continued singing softly, while stroking the other girl's hair. My mind was flooded with horrible memories.
“Oh for Stars sake, shut up!” I shouted. Cerberus howled dismally. Then everything was dead silent. I had to get out of here. I rushed back to my chamber and huddled in the corner, while the demons of my childhood raged in my mind. Maybe you will forgive me now.

Hades

Rainy Season, 16, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
I felt rather wild this morning, when I emerged from my room. Everything had been depressing since the singing. Fortunately, everyone else looked just as wretched as me. I told Cerberus to summon everyone to the Styx. He let out one earsplitting howl. Spinx and the Furies came flying with loud screeches. They were followed by everyone else. Judging by the hateful look Euridice cast at me, I suspected that all of her memories had returned. I would have to keep this knowledge under lock and key. Eris would probably restore memories for no other reason, then to be spiteful.

“Gather near.” I said grimly, “I am leaving Rhadamanthus in charge, while I make a journey into the upperworld.”
“Into the sunlight?” Persephone gasped softly, and clasped her hands. I looked away.
“I shall be taking one companion.” I said. I heard her gasp again.
“He means me, fool.” Spinx spat.
“I shall be taking Euridice.” I said. There was a dead silence. I raised one eyebrow.
“Why?” everyone shouted in unison. I slammed my staff into the ground.
“Silence!” I roared, “Am I your lord and master? Do as your told.”

Euridice was silent as Charon rowed us across the Styx. But I knew she was probably as confused as anyone else. But I was not explaining anything. You better believe I was not going to apologize to you. If anything, you were going to apologize to me. In fact, I like the idea of you down on your knees. I think I will permit you to return if you beg for mercy.

Of course, it had to be raining, when we emerged from the chasm. Why else would it be called the Rainy Season. It was the one time of the year when there was more water in the air, than on the ground. Well, I guess that is actually debatable. Rushing Water and Floodway may be exceptions. Everything was damp and muddy, but at least there was no flood.

Hades

Rainy Season, 17, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
I was wondering, where we could possibly find you. Now I wish I had gone with my first plan and never went to find you. It would have been better to live in guilt than discover what I discovered.

We traveled through the open country rather aimlessly. I had no idea where we could find you. Euridice was not very helpful. She will not acknowledge my presence, and I will not apologize. All day we wandered through the empty lands, seeing no one. The Nymphs camp was deserted. Persephone's people were all gone. This was rather a relief to me, since I had no wish to come across her overbearing and protective mother.

Today we came upon a flock of sheep grazing on a hill. A small boy of ten or eleven was seated on a rock nearby, playing a flute.
“Ho lad, where can we find the harpist?” I demanded. The boy stood up.
“I am Triptolemus.” he said, “For a silver piece, I can find you whatever you would like to find.”
“I am looking for a man with a harp.” I snapped. I heard Euridice gasp, but refused to meet her gaze. The boy cocked his head.
“You mean Orpheus?” he asked. I was a little bit startled. How did this random shepherd know you? Perhaps finding you would be easy, after all.

“Hades.” Euridice whispered, “Are you- will you-?” her voice died away. I glanced at her, reluctantly. Her pale hands were clasped, and there was a look of agony on her face.
“Fine!” I growled, “We are going to find, Orpheus. Satisfied?” Her lips trembled, than she burst into tears and flung her arms around. I screamed and slithered away. I was shocked. No one had ever hugged me before. Not even my own mother. It was a completely new experience. I was not sure I liked it much. I felt, powerless.

“Orpheus used to say you were not all bad.” Euridice sobbed, “For the last couple of days I thought that you were a far worse tyrant than even the Amazonian Legendary Queens. But now I know he was right.”
“Well, I do not want your thanks.” I growled, “I might change my mind, if you do not shut up.” she shut up. But my head still hurt.

I turned to face Triptolemus. He was staring at us, as if we lost our minds. I had not lost my mind, perhaps Euridice had.
“Now, small little man, tell me where to find Orpheus.” I barked, feeling superior.
“He is dead.” the boy said.
“Wait, what?” I gaped.
“Wh-what?” Euridice whispered. Her face went dead white.

I caught hold of the wretched child, by his collar and shook him wildly. He cried out, and tugged at my hands.
“Let me go.” he sobbed, “It was not my fault. It was the wild half breed Nymphs.”
“Are you telling me a bunch of women killed my friend?” I cried dropping the boy onto the ground. Yes, I admit that you were my friend. An image of an Amazonian Cohort, entered into my mind. Could they possibly have returned to the old Realm of the Star People.

“They were having a wild starry night dance.” Triptolemus cried, “They heard Orpheus playing and wanted him to join. But he was to sad.” I hauled him back to his feet.
“What did they do to him?” I hissed, through clenched teeth, “What happened?”
“They attacked him, and tore him to pieces.” the boy sobbed, “Please, it is not my fault. I would not have been here, except my brother would not come here any more because he told me that the Lord of the Underworld kidnaps people. He saw him steal the daughter of Demeter.” I felt a cold shiver run through me. What would Demeter do to me, if she learned this information? I pushed these thoughts away. I had to learn about you. I could worry about myself later.

“Where is the body?” I demanded, “Are you sure he is dead?” Triptolemus stopped crying and looked at me through narrowed eyes.
“I could never forget what I saw.” he said softly, “I am not a liar. They flung his body in the Unknown Waters.” Of course they would chose a place impossible to find you.
“Thank you.” I said grimly, “You have aided us well. You shall be well rewarded later.” I tossed my cloak aside and started to walk away with as much dignity as I could. There was an agonized sob behind me. I had forgotten about Euridice.

I turned back, and found her on her knees, a look of despair in her eyes. I went over to her and held out my hand. But she did not even notice. I grabbed her arm, and pulled her to her feet.
“We are going home.” I whispered. She stumbled forward, as if in a dream, leaning on my arm. We walked away from the shepherd in silence.

We had not gone far, when Euridice clutched at me, crying and sobbing. It was awkward. What was a coldhearted tyrant, like me supposed to do?
“Take them away.” she sobbed, “It hurts. Take my memories away. I cannot remember. It hurts. Please Hades.” For the first time, someone wanted me to take away their memories. I would not mind forgetting myself. How could you let yourself get killed?

Hades

Rainy Season, 18, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
I was never so happy to see anything as I was to see the yawning black chasm of the Underworld. I stumbled forward, dragging Euridice. She had not spoken since her out burst. I would rather have her angry at me, than despairingly asking me to take her memories. There was a growl, than Spinx and Cerberus leaped forward, blocking out way.
“If you bite me, I will not be responsible for what I do to.” I threatened.
“The master has returned!” Spinx screeched. I covered my ears.
“Shut up!” I snarled.

Charon rowed us across the Styx, silently. No one asked any questions, but from the way they were all looking at me, I knew that they were dying to know. Persephone was standing on the shores of the Styx. Her flaming hair was flowing all around her like a river of fire. She caught the edge of the ferry as it scraped against the pebbly shore.
“Why did you come back?” she asked. I am not sure if she was talking to Euridice or me. I leaped out of the ferry, tripped over my cloak and came down awkwardly. Of course, a crowd was gathering and they all saw it. I bit back a torrent of angry words.
“He's dead.” I said gruffly, than I touched Persephone's shoulder, “Do something.” I whispered, and nodded at Euridice. There was not a single noise as I strode off.
“Oh darling.” Persephone cried suddenly. I heard her running to the other girl.

I went to my chamber and shut myself in. I slumped in the corner. You were my only friend. The only person who ever gave me a chance. The only person who I ever allowed to see the real me. I pulled my knees up to my chest and wrapped my arms around them. I bowed my head in despair. This was the end. I should drink Lethe like Euridice. But I could not just forget you forever. It was better to have known you than lost you forever than to have never known you. No matter how bad I felt, it could not be compared to what Euridice was feeling.

Hades

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment