Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Prince Charming Diaries vol. 3 DOSP, Part 1

+
+JMJ+

Meet Hades the grouch

Diary of a Somber Prince
Part One

Harvest, 23, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
When I said I was bored I did not mean for you to literally place a leather bound book on my lap. I do not want a filthy diary, journal or anything like that! Next time you quote or mention the name Zeus to me I shall ring your stinking neck!

Regards,
Hades

Harvest, 24, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
Since you did go through the trouble of finding this miserable book and I more importantly I already wrote an entry, I might as well keep up. But not because Zeus did it! I do nothing that Zeus does. I am not like him at all. He is an annoying twerp with the habit of making everyone like him. Well, everyone except me. I refuse to like him. He is completely unlikeable. 

In the four years since I have been trapped into living the Underworld I have rarely been to the upper world. But today I decided to leave Rhadamanthus in charge. Notice I did not say you? As usual Charon tried to discourage me from crossing the Styx.
“Master,” he said gloomily, “Do not pass the Styx the people of the upperworld smile. They smile master. Think about it. Can you believe it? What if it is contagious?” I smiled rather coldly and made him row me across the water. The only way most people can cross is if they pay him, a lot. You are the only who really can trick Charon into letting them pass. I use threats and you use music. By the way, your voice is terrible.

I was scouting around on the back of the Sphinx. We had been flying over the Unknown Waters when we came across a rock. It loomed out of the water like a tiny island. Chained to the rock was a man with flaming red hair. I pointed him out to the Sphinx, she nodded and dove downwards.
“Sir I see you are busy.” the man said, “But could I trouble you for a glass of water?”
“Trouble me?” I snorted, “I should think not. But do tell me what you are doing chained to this rock? Are you a sacrifice to Nereus, or perhaps Poseidon.” I spat out the last name with great contempt.
“I am not a sacrifice.” the man said gently, “I am Prometheus. Perhaps you have heard of me?”
“I have not.” I sniffed, “Come along Sphinx we have places to see.”
“I wish to know how this man intends to survive here without any food.” my disobedient servant said. I cursed her.

“I have been here for nearly seventeen years now.” Prometheus said patiently, “This rock is enchanted. One can never die on it, so when the eagles come and rip out my insides, I suffer indescribable agonies but the following morning I am healed. You see I can not starve or die of thirst.”
“This rock seems like it would be quite useful.” I said thoughtfully. Spinx swiveled her head and glared at me.
“Idiot!” she hissed, “Free him, he will make an excellent warrior. He probably will not even have to drink at the fords of Lethe.”

“Lethe?” Prometheus said suddenly, “The Waters of Lethe in the Underworld?” He looked from me to Spinx.
“It is quite a charming place. We even have little trees.” I said, “Fruit trees. Mostly pomegranate.”
“That is good.” Prometheus sighed, “At first I thought you were one of my kind. One of the Star People.” I stiffened, but did not answer.
“I am chained her at the hand of Cronus.” Prometheus said bitterly, “I stole the Star and he finally caught me.”
“What Star?” I asked grimly.
“The First Born.” was the surprising answer, “The eldest child of Cronus and Rhea. I delivered him into the hands of a halfling. She bore him away hopefully to safety. My wife and I long fled the wrath of the Star Father, but he caught me and chained me to endless torture. But the worst torment is not knowing what happened to my beloved wife and son. My brother. My little Deucalion, I missed seeing you grow up.” he sighed.

Clearly there was only one thing to do with this interesting person. Kidnap him. First I struck at the chains with my sword but to no avail, so I had Spinx tare them apart.
“Thank you good sir.” Prometheus cried happily as he climbed up behind me.
“Tell me what would you do for the freedom of Sea World?” I asked.
“Anything.” he replied earnestly.
“In that case come to the Underworld with me.” I said, “I am raising an army to defeat the oppressors.”
“Where do you get the soldiers from?” he asked as we flew across the Unknown Waters towards the entrance to the Underworld.
“Many sink down into the underworld, but few are allowed to return to the light.” I said smugly, “One sip of the waters of Lethe and they will do whatever I want.”
“That seems dishonorable.” Prometheus said sternly.
“I am just helping the cowards fight back.” I snapped.

We flew down into the darkness in silence. Charon glowered at us. He was clearly not pleased to see me come back and even less pleased to see that his predictions had failed to come true. I was glowering. I was angry about Prometheus calling me dishonorable.
“Who is that?” Charon snarled as he eyed my red haired companion.
“I am Prometheus.” the man replied.
“Boat sending you straight to Lethe.” Charon muttered as he started to untie the ferry.
“No!” Prometheus said sternly, “I want to remember every pain I suffered while fighting for you! I want to remember it all!” 

Orpheus you better keep your mouth shut. I can feel you glowering at me. I did not like to him much. Zeus is an oppressor. Besides it is nice to have a real soldier on my side. Someone who had to forget their memories first. Oh by the great Stars stop glaring at me! So what if you think that he would fight for Zeus and kill me if he knew the truth. Mind your own business or you will drink the waters of Lethe. I am going to go talk to Translo.

Hades

To Be Continued

4 comments:

  1. I wanted to ask, since in Greek mythology the gods are very much against human sacrifices (and only take animals) is Hades being sarcastic here or do worshippers of the gods in your world really sacrifice humans?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Star People and the Sea People never got along. Hades was only fifteen when Zeus defeated the Star People, and he ran away soon after that. I think that most Star Children were raised on the threat that if they didn't behave the Sea People would kidnap and sacrifice them. He's also being a little sarcastic, because Nereus is the King of the Sea People, and he (Hades) did not get along with Poseidon since he was five years old. But that's another story.

      Delete
    2. Also, are Hades, Zeus, and Poseidon not related in your version of this? Also, this is a small request, but can you make a family tree for them, because I don't have a firm grasp of who is related to who in this retelling.

      Delete
    3. They are brothers. Zeus was separated from his family when still a baby, because the prophecy said the Star People would only fall when the first born defeated his father. As the oldest Zeus was supposed to die, but he was rescued instead.
      Sure, no problem.

      Delete