Monday, July 8, 2019

Prince Charming Diaries vol. 3 DOTP, Part 7

+
+JMJ+

Diary of a Thundering Prince
Part 7

Drought, 18, Year of the Blue Moon

Greetings Book,
I have now officially moved into Mount Olympus. Actually I moved in last week, but apparently that did not count since I was sleeping on a pile of boards. But now I officially have a set of chambers with a real bed. Just not any curtains, blankets or cushions. But who cares about piddling details like that? The council chamber has been completed. It includes a ring of thrones, starting from high ones in the back, then a second ring, and so on until it reached the center, where there was a raised platform for speakers. Someone really thinks of the details. But there is no putting off the establishing of the kings and the governing system. I think everyone believes I was joking about my brothers being in charge.

“Well, obviously Hera will remain the Titans' Princess, and Nereus the King of the Sea People.” I said as soon as Chrion had stomped his feet for silence. It was not the most elegant opening speech but I was in a hurry.
“Obviously.” Nereus muttered. One of the front thrones had been built in a pool full of water, which was fed by an underground stream. It had been Hera's idea. The Sea People obviously needed water to survive so we had to provide a place for their ambassadors.
“Cepheus will rule the Mythicals.” I continued. As far as I knew Cepheus had sense and tolerance. Not to mention he was on friendly terms with the Sea People. His wife was a Nyad. Cepheus look so startled everyone started laughing. But very few people looked displeased. I started to breathe easier. Maybe this would not be so bad.

“Midas will rule the free people.” I continued. There was some gasps. Midas was less liked then Cepheus. He was vain and pompous and liked show. But I had no doubt he would build up his kingdom in great glory before his death. He had a nose for gaining riches. Besides, I had discovered that he was the father of Menelaus. By the time Midas had completed the glory of the Free People and died, Menelaus would surely be ready to rule. He would make a great king. I may have been cheating with my wise plans for the distant future. Delphi was always at my side. She never actually told me what the best choice was. She would tell me things and I would make decisions to help or avoid them.
“I knew someone would see our wealth.” Midas said smugly, “I am obviously king material.” Someone snorted. It was Hercules. I think everyone was surprised I did not chose him.

“As for the Amazon warriors we try not to meddle with them.” I added, “If they don't bother us we shall be fine.” The Amazons were a tribe of fierce female warriors, once part of the Titans, but they had long since broken away and fled to the jungles. No one ever came out alive from those snarls of twisted trees. But stories flew everywhere. There was a rumor that they were led by the fierce and beautiful Hippolyta. 
“The Amazons seem like a problem that you should solve.” Hera said lightly, “Or would you prefer the Titans to weed them out.” I smiled grimly.
“Certainly I shall attend to them. But if they are not bothering us, why should we bother them.” I said stiffly, “People do not like it when armies rush to invade them for no reason at all.” Snickers ran throughout the room. I sighed.

“Hera, you have the rule of the Titans,” I said changing the subject, “You also have the care of my brother Dionysus. You will train him in the Titan ways. He will be the ambassador between you and Olympus. I expect you to handle most problems on your own. But when something comes up, and something will, you bring it to Olympus.” Hera's mouth dropped open. Her Titan guards gaped, then turned red. Obviously they did not think that their princess would ever be unable to handle a problem.
“A child?” one of them gasped, “What do you think he can do?”
“Dionysus.” I said turning to my gaping brother, “To you I give the Staff of Fertility.” 
“What?” shrieked the enraged Star People, “You cannot give away the treasures of-” I glared at them.
“Well I just did!” I said evenly. Everyone shut their mouths and gaped.
“You mean I am a gardener now?” Dionysus asked with a puzzled frown. Nobody answered him.

“Cepheus you have the rule of the Mythicals. Every Minotaur, Unicorn, Nymph, Sayter, Dryad, dwarf, Gryphon and so on will answer to you.” I continued, “But between you and me will go Hermes. It is your job to see that he receives a proper education and learns the history of Mythicals.”
“Yes sir!” Cepheus said with a bow. I turned to Hermes.
“To you I give the Winged Shoes and Winged Hat and Messenger's Staff.” I said. The Star People muttered angrily.
“Oh great leaping comets!” Hermes squealed, “Me flying through the stars!” Mother let out a sharp hiss.
“Stay away from the stars or you will be demoted!” I threatened.
“Fine!” Hermes muttered sulkily. Then he brightened up.
“But it is still better the silly Planting Staff.” he said with a smirk at Dionysus. The younger boy stuck his nose in the air.

“Midas, the Free People are in your care.” I continued, “It is your duty to do what is best for them. I restore to you your son Menelaus.” Midas gaped.
“Menu is still alive?” he whispered.
“Certainly.” I said, “You will have to see to his education and training. He will be your heir.”
“Yes, yes of course, when can I see him?” Midas cried.
“As soon as the council is over.” I said, “But meanwhile Hephaestus will be the one to go between me and you.” The newly appointed king stared at me.
“The cripple?” he snarled. Hephaestus cowered back in his chair, but the rest of my brothers rose as one their faces flaming.
“Sit down!” I shouted, “Yes, Hephaestus will be your overlord, Midas.” I turned to my white faced brother. “To you I give the Iron Hammer. Use it with care.” My brother nodded stiffly. But now the dissatisfied murmurs were running through the entire room. I continued to ignore them.

“Nereus,” I said turning to the King of the Sea, he stiffened, “Poseidon will return to your palace and learn the ways of your people, and be the one you turn too. In his turn he will turn to me!”
“Yes!” Poseidon shouted and jumped to his feet, then he blushed bright green and sat down again quickly. Nereus scowled, and cast an unpleasant look at my green haired brother. I sighed.
“You get the Trident.” I told him. 
“You mean he is going to live in my palace with that thing?” Nereus exploded.
“Yes, sir!” I said warmly.

“Ares.” I said turning to my wild brother, he scowled, “You are going to be trained to run the army.” I said.
“Wait, there is going to be an army?” several voices cried.
“Of course.” I protested, “Did you think I was going to leave Sea World unprotected? Even if all the people are on friendly terms, there are still monsters and other unknown species who could attack us at any moment.”
“Like the Amazons.” Hera muttered
“Like the Amazons.” I said with a sigh.
“Do I get to fight and kill people?” Ares shrieked, “Oh bliss, oh joy! You are the best brother I ever had!”
“No you most certainly do not!” I snapped, “We try to make peace before bloodshed.”
“You are the worst brother I ever had!” Ares sulked.
“Maybe I won't give you the Enchanted Rapier!” I threatened.
“Best brother again.” he said quickly.

There was a long silence. I waited. People began to cast nervous glances at Hades. He was sitting stiffly in his chair staring hard at the walls.
“Zeus, you forgot Hades.” Hermes said impatiently, “Aren't you going to Ambassador him to someone? Maybe the Amazons.”
“Hades does not get to be an Ambassador or soldier.” I said quietly.
“Well, I am not going to stay in Olympus with you!” Hades snarled, “And you certainly cannot buy me off even if you bought all your other brothers off.” 
“I did not buy anyone off.” I said sharply, “I am simply spreading the power around where it will be best used. At the same time I'm trying to keep it still connected so no one will be the ultimate power, but not be divided. You are going to be the Lord of Underworld. It is your problem to divide that up however you want. To you I give the cap of Invisibility.” I stepped off the platform and strode out of the council chamber leaving everyone staring open mouthed.

Farewell for now,
Zeus

Drought, 30, Year of the Blue Moon

Greetings Book,
The palace seems strangely silent with all my brothers gone. They left yesterday for their designated homes. The five children are gone too. I found their families or good people willing to care for them.
“Paris' family are Titan young shepherds on Mount Helga. I suppose he is in a fair way to be spoiled by them, but I have every wish to keep him away from Menelaus. Delphi has been making me miserable with prophesies about the children. This is what she told me.
“Oh dear Zeus do not let yourself be to attached to the five wards of Olympus. Paris will slay Achilles. Menelaus will swear to kill Paris with his dying breath. Odysseus will slay Paris. Persephone will marry your brother.” What I want to know is why they would all be killing each other?

So Paris went to the Titan Mountains. Menelaus went to the court of King Midas. Odysseus was adopted by a prince of the Free People. Prince Daedalus lived between Mount Olympus and Mount Helga. He was wise and intelligent. The Free People in his region lived in peace and were well protected by their prince. He was delighted to adopt Odysseus so his foolish son Icarus could have a more intelligent playmate then his recent companions. As long as he could keep his palace and his inventions he did not care if Midas was his overlord. Achilles' father was the Star General. His mother was a Nymph. So Achilles was going to the West end of Sea World where the new army outpost was. Ares and him quickly became evil friends, feeding off each others pleasure in violence and fighting. It was disappointing. As for Persephone. Her mother Demeter took her away to the land of the Mythicals.

I was going through the chambers to make sure the children had left nothing behind when an explosion shook the palace and flung me on my face. I was on my feet in a flash and out the door. I nearly ran into Chrion. 
“What in the blazes is going on?” I shouted, “An Earthquake?”
“Worse!” the centaur said briefly. He grasped my arm and hoisted me onto his back before I could protest. Then he galloped down the corridor. To my surprise there was a large crowd gathering in front of the doors to the council chamber. There was excited yelling and murmuring but no one went in. I slid off Chrion's back.
“What is going on?” I demanded. Instead of answering, everyone drew aside leaving the way clear for me to enter. 

Feeling like I was walking into a trap, I walked through the crowd and entered the chamber. It seemed strangely dark and smokey. I blinked a few times. Suddenly the door slammed shut with a loud bang. I turned and tried to open it, but it was stuck fast. So I had walked into a trap. I cursed myself for being such a fool. But I turned back towards the center of the room to face the rewards of my foolishness. I mean who is stupid enough to march into what they are pretty sure is a trap? Me obviously. I sighed.

The smoke began to clear away. I made out a shape of a man seated on the highest throne. It did not take me long to recognize Cronus. He was not alone either. Hera was with him. She was seated in the throne next to him, her hands crossed in her lap, staring straight ahead. I raised my eyebrows.
“So you have decided to join us.” Cronus said in a mocking voice, “How very kind of you.”
“Actually I believe it is the other way around.” I said boldly, “This is my house.” Cronus laughed.
“Your house, you say? Well it certainly is very comfy. I believe I shall move in here instead of rebuilding the Star Palace.” he sneered. I crossed my arms.
“You are not exactly welcome here.” I said coldly.
“Really?” he said with a smile, “That is to bad.” he patted Hera's arm. This lady and I have had a really interesting chat about you.” I frowned then turned to look at the princess.

Hera glanced at Cronus, a look of anger and something else, maybe fear, on her face. Cronus smiled nastily, then grinned at me.
“Hera, are you alright? Did he hurt you?” I asked, as I took a step forward, my eyes on the Star Father. Cronus laughed wildly.
“Why would I hurt this sweet princess. She is much more useful to me alive and unspoiled. At least for now.” he said.
“You fat faced son of a one eyed centaur!” Hera snarled.
“Now, now dear lady.” Cronus said in a mocking voice, “I believe we talked about language already.” The princess gripped the edge of her throne and took a long slow breath.

I took a running leap at my father. He whipped out his sword in one lightening movement. A stream of light shot out and struck me. I somersaulted backwards and crashed upside down into one of the other thrones. The whole room was spinning. My arm hurt and my head was bleeding.
“Zeus!” Hera screamed. I fumbled weekly at my belt, but the Thunderer was exactly where I left it. In my chamber.
“You could try and summon it.” Cronus sighed, “But I do not think you are strong enough to summon anything through thick stone.” I tried to get up and slid off the throne awkwardly. I stood up slowly, trying not to pass out.

Cronus hurled another stream of light. I was flung into the thrones again. I heard Hera swearing, but I was trying to think. If you never tried to think while your are being flung into stone thrones by magic you cannot imagine how horrible it is.
“I could let you keep on ruling the masses.” Cronus said thoughtfully, as I crashed to the floor, and lay unmoving, “If I keep my pretty little hostage you will do as I say, not to mention the Titans. Everyone else will do as you say, which is what I am telling you to say.” he flashed his teeth, “The first move will be to assassinate your puppet kings and place more easily controlled fools in their places. Before the month is out we march on the Amazons.” I groaned softly. “Oh I am sorry, am I hurting you?” he said in a mocking voice. I looked up.
“Oh just kill him. Don't be concerned about me!” Hera cried bitterly, “The Titans will take a new leader but Sea World needs you!” I looked into her beautiful face and was silent.

“Dearest princess,” Cronus whispered into Hera's ear, “You see the silly young puppy has a sweet little fancy for you and will not make a move that will hurt you. I chose you on purpose, dear.”
“You stinking slime ball!” Hera screamed, “You swine!” She tried to grasp his throat. He slapped her hard.
“Watch yourself princess!” he snarled, “You are beginning to annoy me!” I pulled myself onto my knees, a red hot rage was spreading through me, how dare he strike Hera! Suddenly Cronus whirled and stared at me, his face paling. But it was late I leaped at him. I flung me backwards, but I stopped myself midair and hurled to thunderbolts at him. I have no idea where they came from.

I stared in shock. Cronus sagged against the back of the throne looking like a sizzled sausage. Hera stared open mouthed. I flung out my left arm and made a grabbing motion before I knew what I was doing. There was a rumble, then the Thunderer exploded through the walls and slammed into my hand. Startled faces peered through the hole in the wall.
“How about a trade.” I said icily, “You give me Hera and I give you the Thunderer.” A cunning look came into his face.
“Really?” he whispered.
“No!” Hera screamed. I dropped the sword. It struck the floor with a shower of sparks. Then slowly, I used the toe of my boot and slid it across the floor towards the Star Father. He let out a wild laugh and flung Hera at me, at the same time he snatched up the sword.

Hera crashed into me and we both went down in a tangle of arms and legs. I grasped her in my arms and slid backwards. But the thrones were blocking out way. We could be fried before we got to our feet. Cronus held the sword aloft and smiled.
“Well, well, well.” he murmured, “Why use a hostage when I can simply destroy your world in one blow, starting with you two!” He pointed the crackling sword at us. Hera buried her face in my chest. I tightened my grip on her and waited. There was a rumble of thunder. Then the sword clattered to the floor in a cloud of ashes. Cronus was gone. 

I sat up. Hera looked around, then she glared at me. I attempted a smile. But there were tears stinging my eyes. 
“You knew that was going to happen!” she accused me, “You knew you had him and you let me make a fool of myself!”
“Well, I was not actually sure.” I protested, “I mean, I hoped it would happen, but I did not know if it actually would.”
“You would have let him destroy Sea World?” she screeched, “What kind of King are you? With that attitude you will destroy everyone!” There was not pleasing her.
“Well, it worked.” I said sullenly, “Isn't that the point? A king has to take risks just like everyone else.” I stood up and pulled her to her feet.

Hera looked down at the dust. Then she looked at me. There was a strange look on her face. She used her finger to wipe the tears off my face.
“First you nearly condemn Sea World, then you waste tears on him?” she cried incredulously. I recoiled.
“I would hate myself if I did not spare a tear for him.” I said angrily, “He was my father!” I snatched up the Thunderer then stomped towards the door.

Hera caught up to me before I had taken three steps. She stepped in front of me and blocked my way. I waited. Then she flung her arms around me, being careful not to touch the Thunderer.
“Thank you for saving me.” she sobbed, “Even if I deserved to die.” I put my free arm around her.
“You my dear, are worth saving.” I whispered into her hair.

Farewell for now,
Zeus

Lamentations, 10, Year of the Blue Moon

Greetings Book,
Chrion crowned the Lords of Olympus today. Hades with the black helm of the Underworld, Poseidon with the emerald sea crown, Hephaestus with the iron circlet of the Free People, Apollo with the winged crown of the Sky, Ares with the golden helmet of the army, Hermes with the golden horse of the Mythicals, Dionysus with the Golden Fleece of the Titans, and myself with the triple crown of Sea World.

“By the Styx I am glad that is over with.” Hades growled as he hurled his helm across the palace floor. Hera swept down on him like a fury.
“Put that back on!” she snarled, “It is not over with until after the wedding!” Hades jumped, and everyone else laughed. Hermes retrieved the helm.
“How much will you pay me to give it back?” he asked.
“A hard slap in the face, you little twerp!” Hades snarled and snatched the helm from his brother's hands.
“How soon does he leave for the Underworld?” Hera asked me, as she wrapped her arms around mine.
“That is up to him.” I said, “But if he gets mad enough he might leave today.”
“Hermes?” Hera called. I clapped my hand over her mouth.
“He is my brother.” I protested.
“An unworthy one.” she snapped, her voice muffled by my hand. Hades glared at us then stalked off.

The coronation was over but the wedding would follow immediately afterward. Being the Lord of Olympus meant that everything was public. I hated it. It was was one thing to be crowned alongside my seven brothers, but it was another thing to walk to be married.
“Are you nervous?” Hera asked as we separated for our positions.
“Certainly not!” I lied.
“Because I am dying.” she muttered, “I can execute people in public, but I feel like I am going to be ill for this.” Now I felt like an idiot.

We were married on the porch of the palace, where we had been crowned. Free People, Mythicals, Titans, and Sea People spilled down the sides of the mountain. After the vows had been exchanged mother and Hestia came and kissed both of us. Chrion pronounced us King and Queen of all Sea World. Cepheaus, Midas and Nereus swore their loyalty to us. Then my brothers came rushing to overwhelm us. Well, except for Hades. Last I saw him he was setting off down the mountainside a bundle on his back. Cerberus his three headed dog prancing on his heels.

Farewell for now,
Zeus

Lamentations, 20, Year of the Blue Moon

Greetings Book,
Chrion has written up the Proclamation for Sea World, it has been signed by the Lords of Olympus, and all the Kings, Queens, Lords and Princes who were able to make the meeting.

To the People,
Sea World is a World of Freedom. Even the unborn child has the right to live and be protected. The smallest child to the oldest man can appeal for aide. The people will answer to their local rulers, the local rulers will answer to their King or Queen, their King or Queen will answer to their Olympian Lord, and in turn the Olympians will answer to the Lord of Sea World. But if there is a complain about any of the nobles, anyone has a right to submit it to a hire authority, or to the Lord of Sea World himself.

In turn all men over the age twenty are obliged to spend at least one month of every year training on the Western Shores where the army outpost will be. All men must be ready at a moments notice to spring to the battle if their rulers summon them. In case of death, orphans and widows will be provided for. 

In the case of marriage outside of your region apply to the rulers of both regions for the right and the discussion of which region they wish you to remain. Apply to the Kings or Queens of the People if you wish to marry outside of your Kingdom. For example, Titan and Mythical. Apply to your Olympian Lord for the location of where to live in these matters.

Signed

Zeus
Hades
Poseidon
Hephaestus
Apollo
Ares
Hermes
Dionysus
Rhea Star
Hera
Cepheaus
Midas
Nereus
Demeter
Metis
Rhea
Chrion
Hercules
Daedalus
Uranus
Gaea
Pontus

Farewell
Zeus Lord of Olympus

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment