Saturday, July 13, 2019

Prince Charming Diaries vol. 3 DOSP, Part 2

+
+JMJ+

Diary of a Somber Prince
Part 2

Harvest, 25, Year of the Screaming Turtle.

My dear Orpheus,
I was rather annoyed at you yesterday so I said nothing about Translo or Pluto. I wish that this book was actually you and your could feel my annoyance radiating throughout you. No matter how silver tongued and honey sweet your singing was at the moment, you would not be able to shake off my annoyance.

So when I stir the pool of Lethe with the Staff of the Underworld I am able to communicate with Princes of the Underworlds of the other six worlds. Translo. To him, and him alone I share my grievances with. He can relate to my position. Being a few years older then me, he knows how to deal with most of the problems I deal with. Yesterday I ranted and raved at him for a few minutes.
“No one likes me and there is nothing to do.” I finished sullenly. Translo crossed his legs, yawned, then sat up straight and looked hard at me.
“So you finally realize that it is a lonesome business living in the Underworld. Well, go find yourself a wife.” he said abruptly.
“A what?” I squawked.
“Believe me, it makes a world a difference.” he said, “A wife can be a friend and companion. Better then anything else you could find.”
“Are you telling me that you are married.” I said at last.
“If you wish, I can introduce you to Clarissa.” Translo replied.

I had to sit down and think for a minute. I had figured that Translo and the other lords were as somber and unfriendly to other people as me, but apparently not.
“What does your wife think about your home?” I asked after a long silence. My knowledge of Underworlds was that women were very scarce. While men were usually plentiful or often fell down, women rarely did. For every female child born in the dark, about twenty boys were also born. That was the whole yearly population. 

“Well, I met Clarissa in the Overworld and fell in love with her there.” Translo explained, “But I could never bring her down into the dark. The air is poison to humans, so they would have to remain inside.”
“Clearly you did bring her down.” I said dryly. Translo shook his head.
“Apparently I raved to much about her and my father kidnapped her.” he said, “He told me he was fetching me a wife. It was not until the wedding I saw what he had been done. I was so ashamed I never told her who I was for about a year.”
“Well, I have no father.” I said bitterly, “He was murdered.”
“You told me about that, remember.” Translo said sharply, “You tell me that every time we talk.” I sulked. He could have a little more sympathy. 

“I would never recommend that you kidnap your wife.” Translo said after a pause, “She tried to escape about twenty times, last time she would have succeeded, but then she returned.”
“Why?” I demanded, “It certainly was not your looks.”
“She never saw my face, I always wore a mask.” he said dryly.
“Creepy!” I commented, “No wonder she fled.”
“When my father kidnapped her, she was trying to carry an antidote for the Teslonian disease to her brother. She had braved formidable foes and danger to find away to save him.” Translo shook his head and continued, “But when the antidote was lost she came back. She had made a vow before the Alter, so she came back.” I stared at him.
“I would not have come.” I said bluntly. He laughed.
“Turns out I was lucky.” he said, “She was half Underworldling in the first place, already loved me, a woman of her word, and her brother did not die either. Her uncle faked the disease to get her killed. I doubt there is a woman on your world who could match my Clarissa.” I scowled.
“Yeah, my mother!” I snarled.

But after I left the pool and wandered through the Pomegranate grove I took time to think about what I had been told. A wife would be ideally, but I preferred revenge. Maybe I would scout around in the upperworld. I still had the Cap of Invisibility Zeus had given me. I rarely used it because it came from him. But it would prove useful. 

Hades

Harvest, 26, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
I suppose everyone is wondering where I went. Well Charon would sulk if I told him I was leaving by another way then his ferry. Actually I did leave by his ferry. I was invisible. But anyway, I have great plans. I was heading for the upperworld. I would find a wife or something better. Any mischief was better then nothing.

I had not gone far from the black forest, which surrounded the gateway of the Underworld, when I heard singing. I detest singing. It was a form of torture created by Nymphs or other equally detestable Mythical creatures. I had to cross the Spiral River to reach the singing. I used the stone bridge. Since very few people go to the Black Forest the bridge is in great disrepair. The Black Forest and the Gateway to the Underworld are located on an what could be considered an island. Spiral River cuts it off from the rest of Sea World.

There were Mythicals dancing in the glade. What were Mythicals doing so deep in the lands of the Free People? I drew a little closer for a better look. One girl in particular caught my eye. She was dancing in the center of the ring, her long curly red hair was flowing about her like a tangled waterfall. She was dressed all in green and looked rather like a flower. It was she who was singing. It was Persephone. I smiled. She would be the one I would chose for my wife. She had once been the ward of Zeus. He was overprotective of his five wards. If I took Persephone down into the darkness, my brother would not be able to do anything about it. He would be well punished. I smiled grimly. It was a delightful idea. I turned and rowed back across the Spiral. I would rather have revenge then a constant companion. I could live without that. But revenge was sweet.

Hades

Harvest, 27, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My Dear Orpheus,
Today I gathered you all together and announced my plans for marriage. I had never seen a more flabbergasted group of humanoids. 
“Marriage?” Charon said at last, “With who? Eruidice?” Eruidice was one of the few women in the entire Underworld. She was the only unmarried one. But I happen to know that you had better plans for her. Not sure if you deserve each other. She is to good for you and you are to good for her. So I will not smile on your marriage. 

“No, not Eruidice.” I said. I had not even considered her. She would have been ideal. But I did not like her, she is always following your around with that puppy look in her eyes. It makes me sick. Ick!
“Congratulations, Hades.” Prometheus said at last, “Who is the un- ahem- lucky bride.” I frowned at him. His attempt at humor was revolting. 
“Her name is Persephone.” I said dryly, “A Mythical.”
“Why would you bring a mythical here?” you asked most unfeelingly. You are in love too, why would you ask such a stupid question.

“Listen you pea brained nincompoops!” I snarled, “Persephone  was the ward of Zeus. To take her wold injure him. That is good for us and bad for his moral.”
“So you take your anger out on an innocent girl?” Prometheus demanded.
“Shut up!” Charon told him, “The master can make his own decisions.”
“The girl has feelings too.” Prometheus snapped, “What if she does not agree to this plan.” he glared at me, “I hope you told her.” I shrugged.
“I will.” I said.
“Prometheus is right, you know.” you said. 
“No one asked you!” I said angrily, “This is just one stop in defeating the Olympians.” 
“You are one of them.” you muttered. I slapped you hard.
“Never!” I snarled, “Nothing in the world will make me one of them! If you ever say such a thing again, I will fling you into the deepest part of Lethe!” You were sickeningly polite the rest of the day.

Hades

Harvest, 28, Year of the Screaming Turtle

My dear Orpheus,
The plans have been settled for the capture of Persephone. We leave at midnight. Spinx has been watching her from the skies and communicating with her brother Cerberus. There were six deadly beasts of the Underworld, doomed to remain in the dark for their hideous looks could cause death to mortals. Nemean the Lion, whose hide was so tough it could not be pierced by any weapon. He guarded the outer entrance of the Underworld.Ceberus, the three headed dog, whose spiked tail could fling a full grown man twenty paces. He guarded Charon and the Styx Ferry. Ladon, the lion shaped body with the hundred serpent heads. The massive heads surrounded the Pomegranate grove. Chimera, resembled a lion in the forepart, a goat in the middle and a dragon behind. She could spout fire out at a hundred yards. Most of the time she remained asleep in the deep places of the Underworld. But in battle she was deadly. Spinx, had the golden tawny body of a flying lion and the head of a beautiful woman. She was more often then not my steed when I wished to go to the upperworld. Last of all there was Hydra. He had the body of a snake with dozens of smaller snake heads protruding from it. For everyone that was cut off two more would grow. He lived deep below even Chimera. But when I summoned him he would crawl out.

Cerberus told me that Spinx thought tomorrow would be an excellent time to carry out our plans. Demeter and most of the other Mythicals were leaving briefly to pay their respects to the Prince in that region. For once Persephone was poorly protected. Such a chance would likely not come again. Demeter was a fool and deserved to lose her daughter. Although other then the entrance to the Underworld just beyond the Spiral that region was probably the safest place in all the Sea World.

I stirred the waters of Lethe and Translo appeared. He was in a black rage and did not even pretend to greet me.
“I told you that this is a really bad idea!” he shouted, “You kidnap that girl and you will regret it for the rest of your life!”
“Who told you?” I demanded. He scowled.
“I can speak with other people in the Underworld too.” he said icily.
“Whatever it is not your problem.” I muttered, “I am Lord here. I can make my own decisions.”
“You will remember my words.” Translo snapped and vanished.
“Come back!” I shouted as the pool went dark. I struck the waters with my staff but it remained dark. I finally stomped away scowling and sulking. 

Hades

Harvest, 29, Year of the Screaming Turtle,

My Dear Orpheus,
In the end it was so easy that it was hardly worth recording. You, Pluto and myself broke into the camp. I forgot to introduce Pluto, but you already know who he is. Pluto is a monkey. A white talking monkey. Abandoned by the Mythicals and left to die. I had found him a long time ago in the Jungles and rescued him from death. For years he had been my companion. Just before Zeus took over Sea World I had made friends with Cerberus. He had intimidated everyone and I believe they were just as happy to see him gone as they were to see me leave. People are mean.

Two Mythicals blocked our way. You struck a single note on his harp and they dropped. You have a gift with music and can sway anyone to do your will. Well most of the Underworldlings are  pretty flinthearted and cannot be swayed. But then you are supposed to be on our side. No one else tried to stop us. Pluto burst into every tent until he found Persephone, then he called us. The girl woke up and screamed. But you and I burst in and grabbed her. There was no one to stop us. Hydra was waiting in the Spiral. We climbed onto his back and he dived past Nemean and down into the darkness. Persephone was screaming the whole way.

Hades

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment