Sunday, March 18, 2018

The Prince Charming Diaries volume two, DHP Part 3


Being the 1st Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
It is quite lovely to be home again with the whole family. No mention has been made of dear little Greda or Tarek. I have this odd feeling that people are afraid to talk about them. What really happened? Is brother Uli's story true. Although he admitted writing the story of the mirror to me, he refuses to talk about it. Has something else happened? Am I not to know the truth? Surely even brothers Yaron and Xander, who knew not the particulars said naught. I would think they would at least comment upon the fact that their youngest siblings were missing. I fear brother Xander was not even aware that they were gone. He does pay much attention to small details. Brother Yaron certainly asked discretely, but I have not heard what that reply would be.

More news on Captain Bluebeard. He has taken to giving veiled insults behind his flattery. Only our father, the king, and sister Cassandra like him, so his insults were returned with far less veiling. I fear once he takes my sister's hand a war will start. Brother Xander does not think twice about calling him fat, big and ugly. He is very indiscreet.

Being the 15th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
The marriage of Captain Bluebeard and my sister Cassandra has begun. Now is the time for the seven night feasts. Sister Beatrice has been sullen and moody. She made little biting remarks about sister Cassandra and her life before our father, the king, adopted her. Sister Anne, brother Yaron and I took care that her remarks would remain unnoticed. It would not do for sister Cassandra to throw a tantrum at her wedding feast.

Being the 16th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
We feasted again. I had the dubious luck to be seated by the other lords of the other Glittering Cities. I know my father, the king, is not well liked, but I am surprised that he has survived this long with such opposition. People hate him. It is not a pleasant thought to think that once I take my birthright I will be just as hated.

Being the 17th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
I really am getting so tired of feasting and this is only the third night. I am thinking that perhaps Sister Cassandra is in need of a good spanking. I have this wicked desire to distribute it to her.

Being the 18th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
My father, the King, is throwing a fit. Brother Varek saw fit to put a live peacock on the table. The bird never hinted that it was breathing until Captain Bluebeard attempted to sever the head. The bird flew up into the air sending food and dishes flying in many directions. Offended guests competed in volume with one another, to see who could display their anger the best. My father, the King, chased Varek throughout the palace with the platter, that the peacock had reposed on. Sister Deborah and Brother Waylan howled with laughter in a very naughty fashion. Brother Xander said it was a nice change. Madra cried and Sister Cassandra threatened to murder the culprit. I made certain I looked quite distressed. But I was secretly quite pleased with the episode.

Being the 19th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
I had to play Throne Winners with Captain Bluebeard. It is a game of tack, deceit and luck. The winner gets the throne. I like to think of myself as an honest man. My father, the King, was furious that I lost the game. The whispers of the people are that I will never be king now. But I will never let Bluebeard be king either. He would destroy the entire Third World. Not to mention the game taught me that he is terribly deceitful. What the Glittering Cities need is a king who will unite all of the Third World under one banner of peace. Of course the winner of the game Throne Winners does not really get the throne. It is just a game.

Being the 20th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
It is considered ill-luck to not feast seven nights before a royal wedding, but if I stuff myself to bursting one more night, I am going to be sick. Brother Xander threatened to drown Bluebeard and sister Cassandra in rich pastry soup if it was served to him again. I fear that I shall stand aside and do nothing. I am also beginning to think this diary will be testimony of the deeds leading to sister Cassandra's murder instead Bluebeard's murder. Perhaps she is well suited to Bluebeard after all. Not a day has passed that she has not whined that we are all jealous of her. How are we jealous of her? Not even Sister Beatrice would marry Captain Bluebeard. Perhaps Sister Cassandra has low taste because she is only adopted.

Being the 21st Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
The last night of feasting. I had to drink Bluebeard's toast and offer him land. I have a plot of farm land on the southern shore. As the eldest brother, I had to give it to Bluebeard as part of sister Cassandra's dowry. I am furious. But I did my duty and no one would have realized that I hate Bluebeard's guts with great intensity. My speech was very flowery. But every word was underlined with hatred and fury.

Being the 22nd Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
Sister Cassandra wedded Captain Bluebeard on this 22nd Day of the Time of the Melting Snow. Rupert, Yaron and I accompanied the groom. Sisters Anne and Beatrice accompanied the Bride. I refuse to say anything else on the subject except that Sister Deborah put a mud patty on the bride's cushion. Sister Cassandra did not notice, but the rest of us took great satisfaction in the ugly brown stain. Captain Bluebeard saw it and turned his terrible eyes on me. I ignored him. He knows I hate him. I believe he would take more satisfaction then necessary to squeak my throat.

Being the 23rd Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
Sister Cassandra is gone and tempers are flaring. Sister Deborah sassed one of the advisers and our father, the king, slapped her. Sister Deborah threatened to run away. I was called to smooth things over. But then everyone was arguing except me. Then my father, the king, got angry and started insulting my methods of fighting and leadership. Which had nothing to do with the present conversation. I had been injured in his service. I had never been so furious before. But I will not argue with him.

Being the 24th Day of the Time of the Melting Snow
I am returning to war camp for a little peace and quiet.

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment