Sunday, February 18, 2018

Prince Charming Diaries Volume Two, DHP part 1

Meet Zeno, eldest of the new Prince Charming brothers from the 3rd World.


The Diary of an Heroic Prince

Being the 2nd day of the Frosterdays,

I Zeno being sound in mind and body, I do take it upon myself to write an honest account of what is about to take place this year of my life. This day being the 2nd of the Frosterday. I being not a month past my twentieth year, and in spite of my youth, have taken it upon myself several times to care for my six younger brothers and seven younger sisters. The purpose of this diary is to show proof of future actions, which were done out of care for them. Namely sister Cassandra. She being but fostered into the family so as to maintain the boy, girl, boy, girl pattern. Sister Cassandra has been in her sixteenth year since the time of the colored leaves and has become quite a lovely young woman. Her red curls make her more noticed as that is a rare color near the Glittering cities. My father being King of the Islands and quite stern, would not think twice about punishing me if I was guilty of murder. This diary will provide the facts of why I might be guilty of so hideous a crime. My recent enemy, Lord Bluebeard, a captain and counselor of my father's court, has taken to looking with favor upon sister Cassandra. She is but a child yet and needs much counsel and care. Lord Bluebeard can give her neither. Of my recollection, and an acquaintance of him. he has been married twelve times. Before that I know not how many wives he had buried. The saying is that no bride of Bluebeard has lived beyond a month. It would seem that they are cursed mightily. I will not let that be the fate of dear sister Cassandra.  

 Being the 7th day of the Frosterdays
I have been watching sister Cassandra with great care these past five days. I have shared my concerns with none but my dearest sister Anne. She is wise in advice and counsel.
“Have a heart brother, Zeno.” she assured me cheerily, “Surely no man of such years as Lord Bluebeard would care to have a child like dear sister Cassandra.” but I could not take heart. When a man has married himself a bride more then twelve times in two years. Then he can hardly be too particular. Besides sister Cassandra holds a great exotic foreign beauty. She would be the only woman in all the nine Glittering cities with Red Hair. Curls are quite rare too. But I also posses them. Blond hair is only a little more common then red hair. My father is a conqueror, he seized lordship of Nile city the foremost of the glittering city. My Madra is a local princess. I hope to be a better king one day then my father on account of his flattering tongue. Sister Cassandra seems to share his favor. I fear the attention of the deceitful lord has flattered her far more then it should. Little brother Tarek does not understand such matters. He has only voiced complaints to Madra about eating in style every night to entertain him. little brother shows no pleasure in silly court procedures. He will be a wise man one day. Brother Xander, who is the closest to sister Cassandra in years suspects something. He shows great anger that sister Anne and I share no confidence in him. brother Yaron and sister Beatrice have no mind for such thoughts. Sister Deborah also seems fare jealous. She pulled sister Cassandra's hair and threw a vase at her. It shattered over the cushions. I am shamed of both sisters. The triplets are violent. But sister Cassandra's temper angers them. I fear there will be much more trouble.

Being the 17th day of Frosterdays
Many things can take place in ten days. I fear that I have not watched sister Cassandra as close as I might have. My business elsewhere is pressing upon me. I must seek more recruits for my father, the King's army. Dearest sister Anne confides that sister Cassandra is far too reckless. I fear she is right. Madra has spoken, but sister Cassandra is far too impetuous. She heeds not the wise words of our Madra. Dear Madra wishes me to speak. She feels sister Cassandra has great respect for me. I think not. When sister Cassandra takes hold of a thought, she will let it go for nothing. My good friend Rupert said she could use a well placed spank. I fear he is right. I must approach sister Cassandra today. I leave for the boarder tomorrow.

“You wish to speak to me, brother Zero?” sister Cassandra asked as she danced to my side. I would not smile at her. This is quite hard as her smile is like a light in the dark.
“Sister Cassandra, why must you encourage Lord Bluebeard's attention?” I asked her sadly. Her smile soured like cold gravy.
“Brother Zeno, Madra told you to speak to me?” she accused angrily. I could feel the heat rush to my face. She was right.
“Sister Cassandra.” I choked, “Madra is wise. Listen to her. Lord Bluebeard has married twelve times in two years alone. Have a care sister, who knows what fate could be in store for you.”
“You would care if I continued seeking his attention?” she asked thoughtfully. I nodded.
“Yes, sister.” I said. Perhaps Madra was right and she did listen to my counsels. Her eyes flashed.
“I would understand now, brother. You are just jealous that I would be married before you, Anne, Yaron, Xander and Beatrice.” she spat and ran off sobbing. Such thoughts had never entered my mind. But I paused to think them over now. Was I jealous? I was the heir to a king. A lord of the Glittering cites. A captain in the army, since my sixteenth year. I was fair and generous to the people. Any number of the court ladies would vie for my attention. I truly could have my pick of any girl. I was just not interested in marriage at the moment. Sister Cassandra was wrong. I was not jealous of her. I was concerned. I cannot pretend to know the minds of Brothers Yaron and Xander and sisters Anne and Beatrice, but I can guess somewhat. Sister Beatrice is jealous to the point of sickness at Sister Cassandra's fortunes. Not of Bluebeard's attention, but that Cassandra might perhaps marry before her. Brothers Xander and Yaron mostly could not care less. Sister Anne is difficult. I cannot tell what is hidden deep in her heart. She keeps her own counsel.

Being the 18th day of Frosterdays
Being a 2nd captain in my father's army, I was required to go to the boarder and take command of my regiment. Brothers Yaron and Xander accompanied me. Brother Yaron is fair and wise. He is a good and steady soldier for being only eighteen years. Brother Xander is but sixteen still. But he has earned the right to call himself a warrior. Father appears to think he shall be a natural warrior in time. I fear that he may be right. But not in the way my father the King thinks. I have every reason to believe that brother Xander will get himself killed, doing the most foolish thing he can think of.

Being the 20th day of Frosterdays
War camp is hard. We are on the boarder over looking the divide. Enemy ships blacken the water. Brother Xander has already expressed great interest in being the sole posse to take on the ships. He would fight this battle alone if I did not have the sense to let brother Yaron advise him. They have been speaking these two hours. Battle master El Tee is still listening patiently. Brother Xander dropped off to sleep after the first two minutes. As long as he remains asleep I can drill my men in proper procedure. Brother Yaron is wise, but to be honest no one ever listens to him. My younger siblings the triplets call him Captain Yawn. I can hardly blame them. I have taken to ignoring such trivial comments. It would never do to discourage truth.


No comments:

Post a Comment