Thursday, April 27, 2017

The Diary of a Frog Prince part 7

A Frog Prince's Diary
Jaden's diary

Day 33
Today I sneaked down to the palace to find out what had happened. I was horrified to discover that Elaine had been kidnapped! If I was a man I would ride to her rescue! But I am simply a miserable frog!

Day 34
Last night in occurred to me that I could still try to rescue the princess even if I am a frog. I have just as much right to rescue her as anyone else. So I hopped on down to the palace and demanded to see the king. I asked him what was being done to rescue Elaine. Well, apparently she was kidnapped by a gang of outlaws and everyone is afraid of them. The miserable cowards! It should be the required duty of all knights to rescue damsels in distress. When I told the king that I would attempt what all his cowards were to afraid to do. He just stared at me.
“I am sure his majesty would grant you anything you wish, if you rescue her highness.” the steward said with a sneer. The king nodded. None of them had any faith in me, but I didn't care. I knew that I had a chance, after all I had been trained by the best tutors.
“If I bring your daughter home, I would like the young thief that tried to steal the golden ball, to be released into my care.” I said curtly.
“If you wish.” the king said, looking disinterested. I knew that I couldn't fail now.

Day 35
I staid at the palace yesterday, looking over maps. Not that they could really help me, since everything was a frog's eye view. Today, I asked to be shown to the armoury. Every knight needs a weapon. I believe all the palace staff were laughing at me. But I needed to succeed for Jerome and Elaine's sakes. Anyway, I selected a tiny dagger, which made a large sword for me. I fixed up the belt so I could sling the dagger from my back. Putting it around my waist would have been just ridiculous.

Day 36
I have left the familiar woods around the well, behind. I already miss it. I am headed for the North end of the forest. If I recall correctly, there are many caves and tunnels there. The ideal place to hide someone. The good news is, as a frog I can hop longer then any man. Plus I have a nice trail left from a large party of tramping me, that has just got to be the kidnappers. Being small, makes it easier to see the trail. Broken blades of grass, cracked twigs, scrapes in the dirt. Yep, easiest job I ever had to do.

Day 37
I am almost caught up to my prey. I found their camp and the ashes in the fire pit, were still warm. Just a little bit longer.

Day 38
I was caught today. I ran into a group of nasty thugs. I am pretty sure that they were the back party, who were in charge of discouraging followers. One of them grabbed me by the leg.
“Who wants froggy legs for desert?” he jeered.
“Lookie it out, that un gots a sword, 'e does!” one of his companions yelped. I drew my sword and slashed through my captor's thumb, he screamed and dropped me. I stabbed one of his companions in the boot then dived into the brush to hide. There was to many stamping feet. But the man whom I had wounded chased and trapped me, then locked me in his pouch. Foul smelling leather. He took my sword too. The brute will pay! No one eats me! But at least I'm not weaponless. There is a needle and a ball of string in the pouch with me.

Day 39
My ugly captor took me out today and waved a knife in front of my face. I had never realized, just how sharp a knife could be.
“I'm eatin' 'im!” he shouted, “Ain't no one gonna stop me!”
“I will!” I shouted, and slid the needle through a nice patch of flesh. He screamed. Not sure if it was because I was talking or because I stabbed him with the needle. The neat thing was that I had threaded the needle and after pulling the needle through his skin, I ran it through his jacket. I sewed his hand to his jacket. Neat or what? I feel really clever. Particularly since he dropped me. This time I didn't stop hopping until I was deep in the forest.

Day 40
Well, guess where I am. Lost! I could cry, except that isn't very manly. Wait, I'm a frog, so I guess it doesn't matter, I don't have to be manly. Strangely I don't feel like crying any more. But I have to keep hunting for that rotten trail.

Day 41

I found the trail again. Looks like my luck has returned. I hopped far into the night and passed there camp. Now if I just get far enough ahead, I can set a trap. The only problem is that I might have made a mistake about where they are going. Also, how is a frog supposed to set a trap for six grown and especially strong men? Oh well, I will think of something. I am clever after all. Well, clever for a frog anyway.

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment