Friday, June 1, 2018

DoFP Part 1 Yaron's Diary


+JMJ+


The Diary of a Flying Prince

Green Season, Day 6
My name is Yaron Derithal. I am the second son of the King of Glittering Island. Being a prince is not as lovely as story tellers have made it out to be. They usually exaggerate terribly. I have began this lengthy Epistle for no other reason then that I have turned nineteen summers as of today. My eldest brother has given me this miniature book and explained that I should keep a diary. My foolish little brother, Uli was quite rude about.
Is it so he can bore his book and pen to death instead of us?” he asked. I noticed that my older brother did not answer. Perhaps Uli was right, but he did not have to ask. I am hardly that boring, am I? But I soon laid aside my grievance, for my twin sister Beatrice entered the room and began to wail about how she was so old that no one would ever marry her.
Zeno, give her a diary too.” Uli moaned, “They are definitely to stop us from having to suffer, by listening to them talk all day.” I cuffed his ears for speaking so ill of his sister. It was partly to avenge myself too, but I did not think I had to mention as much.


This Epistle will hardly make sense unless I name all of my multiple brothers and sisters. I have thirteen siblings. There are seven boys and seven girls. Zeno is the eldest and was recently married to a princess from Kildimere. She had an odd and very unbeautiful name. I despise unbeautiful things. Then comes Anne, at twenty I am surprised she is unwed. Any man should consider himself lucky to win her. She is kind, gentle and sweet. She may not be the most beautiful girl on the Glittering Islands, but she is not exactly ugly. Then comes me and my younger twin sister Beatrice. I am quite a skilled diplomat. But few listen to my words of wisdom. Beatrice has a cruel sort of beauty and daily whines that she shall be an old maid forever. I think few people would really care to marry into the royal family because father was an off worlder and took over the Glittering Island by conquest, instead of inheritance. Xander is nearly eighteen summers, but he is already a high ranking officer. He earned his position. He is fierce and often foolhardy in battle. He never thinks and is quite rash. Cassandra was adopted into the family. She married Captain Bluebeard, was widowed and married a retired officer Rupert all in this year and her only sixteen. Horrid if you ask me. She is pathetic, but Rupert is nice. Waylan, Deborah and Varek are the very naughty triplets. I would rather not talk about them. This of course has nothing do with the snake bomb in their present. Easter is sweet and everyone's favorite. Father says we must not acknowledge her twin sister Fiona, so I have nothing to say on that subject. Uli's just plain bad. He is going steadily down hill, from bad to a deep worse, I think. He is a schemer and will never make a good soldier. Maybe if he ever matures he can be a strategy officer. Greda and Tarek, the youngest two have run away from home. Zeno has attempted to search for them several times, but father keeps sending him off on odd excuses. Anyway, that is my family. I suppose I shall find more time to write about them later.


Green Season Day 10
I have been assigned ship duty. I have taken command of one of the ships. The Crown Destroyer. I asked father if he would consider the Triumph a better name. I am not quite certain, why any king would want a ship called the Crown Destroyer in their fleet.
The name stays Yaron, as a warning to the other countries.” Father growled when I tried to voice my opinion. I did not bother arguing, but considering that the ship is fully maned by men from a country who hate our guts, I feel that it should be a warning to us. But then no one listens to me ever. I think I will never be perfectly happy until I meet someone who will listen to me without yawning, rolling eyes or making sarcastic comments. I am quite intelligent, but everyone refuses to believe it. Beatrice is quite cruel about it. When one is so often cut by one's own twin, who can they believe in?


Green Season Day 15
Zeno and Princess Giselladona sailed off to her home in Sandstorm Lodge across the Divide. Life already seems bleaker without Zeno. Now there is no one to calm father down when the others make him angry. Ester used to be able to do it with a little help from Greda, but now that Greda is gone, Ester will not even try. I think just looking at the rest of us makes father angry. I wonder what world he came from where the people are so dark and grim.


Green Season Day 22
Doldrums is the word of the day. It is a nasty time, with unbearable heat. The wind sinks to a bare whisper, the sails hang limp and disoriented sailors given their master dark looks. Land has vanished from the sight. Will this horror never end?


Green Season Day 24
I am a fool. The sailors have mutineer. I am a warrior, but even I cannot hold back twenty angry foreign sailors, with clubs. I doubt even Zeno can do such a feet. I killed two sailors and wounded five others before I was dragged down. The ungrateful cads threw me in the bottom of the ship, then beat me. They found some foul smelling drink and were foolish enough to try it. It made them laugh louder, hit harder, not to mention get worse breath. There was a leak down there in the cell and I got covered with icky goo. I swear, when I am free, they will suffer greatly. Now if only someone would bring me a towel.


Green Season Day 30
I have been lying in the sludge for six days now. I only got to eat when someone kindly threw a crust at me. I am sure father will be happy to declare war on Kildimere again. We only have peace through Zeno's efforts. But I hate what they have done to me. I slip the words into my diary when my guard is not looking. If they take this little book from me, I will really have lost every bit of civilization.


Hot Season Day 5
I jumped my guard and smashed his head against the wall today. Without waiting to find out if he was still alive, I seized his weapon and swung up to the main deck. In the months since we had claimed the ships I had obtained the trick of standing straight on my own two feet without pitching onto my face. Dozens of startled faces turned to leer at me as I reached the main deck. I leaped for the rail and dived headfirst into the water. The shock of the ice cold water and the sting as it slapped me in the face caused me to lose the sword. All my hard work for naught. I surfaced to a barrage of flying spears, a bloody nose and the horrible realization that I did not know how to swim. Rather, I would drown then seek aid from my enemies. I flailed my arms, gained two feet and sank like a stone. In a panic I screamed. Then my nose and mouth filled with water. A terrible blackness began to swirl around me.


To Be Continued

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks for your enthusiasm Anna. This second volume doesn't seem to be as funny as the first volume was though.

      Delete