Tuesday, June 5, 2018

DoFP Part 2 Yaron's Diary

+JMJ+


Island Day 1
I awoke to find that my clothes were torn and faded by the hot sun and ravaging water. I was lying face down on a sandy beach. Sand stretched as far as I could see in three directions. Behind me was endless water. Coughing and hacking, I dragged myself further onto the beach. I groaned in pain, as the hot sand rubbed against my bare skin, which was burnt. The sand scraped it raw. My head ached and my stomach churned. I wondered if I was hungry or sick. I knew an unfailable trick for finding out. I pictured my favorite dish. Fish cake with rich butter gravy. Crab and cod salad well oiled. My stomach twisted and I heaved my insides out. My throat burned, my stomach tightened. I curled up into a ball and lay on the sand for along time. Time seemed to go on for an eternity. I closed my eyes and let myself sink into swirling darkness.


Island Day 2
I awoke again feeling like a baked bean, which was about to explode like corn. My stomach was completely empty. Even the thought of thick gravy and sausages did not turn it inside out.
I shtarving.” I groaned thickly, and licked my cracked lips with my parched tongue. I tasted blood. “Yech.” I gasped and spat weakly.
So glad you finally could grace the world with your estimable presence.” a woman's voice said calmly. I rolled over and was shocked and embarrassed to see a tall blond haired woman in a flowing red gown staring down at me. Other then Zeno, Ester and Uli, I had never seen anyone in the Third World with blond hair. People said my father's people were fair haired, but no one knew who they were, except father. I pulled myself up to a half sitting position.
Food?” I gasped, even though I meant to say, “What a pleasure to meet you.” but my stomach convinced me otherwise.
I am Eleth, thank you for asking.” the woman said coolly.
Food!” I responded. Inwardly I cursed myself. My stomach had more control over my person then my mind. I shallow could I get?
Get up and you will find it waiting for you, you spoiled brat!” the woman said and stalked off. I got to my feet and gasped. There was a table in the sand with a magnificent feast spread out on it. It looked better then anything I had ever seen or eaten at father's palace. I did not bother asking myself how it had gotten there. Instead I plowed into it with a healthy appetite.


Island Day 3
After I was full and satisfied I had torturous night, recalling my bad manners and wondering where the food had come from. The main questions was, who was Eleth? But since no one could answer the questions, I spend the night wondering. The following morning. I set off through the sand in search of some answers, but all I could see was sand and more sand. The heat was so thick I could have cut it with a butter knife. Then I got hungry again.
Stop!” the voice said from behind. I yelped, whirled and glared at Eleth. Why did she keep having to sneak up behind me? It was most annoying.
Do not sneak up on me.” I gasped.
How dare you suggest that I would sneak up on someone as nasty as yourself!” Eleth screeched. I flushed. No one could tell though, because my face was already burnt bright red.


“Now that we settled that, lets discuss escape.” Eleth said as she brightened up. I wiped my forehead and stared blankly at her. “Now I will help you escape if you promise to come back for me.” she continued. I stared at her in horror. She was obvious quite mad. “Swear upon your honor!” she said sharply. What could I say?
I swear!” I said quickly and crossed my heart, even though it was obvious that she could not help me escape, if she needed me to come back tomorrow.
Excellent, I shall deliver the means of your escape tomorrow.” Eleth said then she vanished. She literally stepped into nothing and was gone. It was nice and neat to. No flash or bang. Just nothing. I was obviously dealing with some sort of enchantress. I should have paid more attention to the words she had used. I wondered what exactly it was that I had sworn to do. Enchantresses were not known for gentle favors.


Island Day 4
I awoke, hungry, parched and miserable. Then I remembered what Eleth had said the previous day. I leaped to my feet and looked around. The table of magic food was still not back, but in it's place was an enormous grotesquely carved wooden trunk. I got up and moved over to it. A little wooden sign hung by a chain from the handle. Pack Up was written on it in bold letters.
Pack what?” I demanded. But Eleth made no appearance to clarify things. So I opened the trunk and climbed inside and shut the lid. I had nothing else to pack up after all.


Hot Season, Somewhere else
I have completely lost track of time and days. I believe that it is still the Hot Season, but it could now be Harvest for all I know. I was awakened by someone shaking me. A man in a crude smock was staring down at me. I sat up and was shocked to find myself in the middle of a green field. Men and older boys all in smocks were grouped around the trunk, which I was still sitting in. I was certainly not still on Desolate Island.
Who are you? Where am I?” I gasped. Immediately there was a babble of voices. I could not understand what they were saying. I repeated my questions again, this time in the common tongue. The men and boys looked at each other, then at me. I had a momentary second of panic, what if I could not make them understand me?
This is Greengrove Island.” the man who had shaken me said at last, “We want to know why you bring ugly box to our field and sleep in her?”
Um- rather difficult.” I said hesitantly. Then I realized that I had nothing to worry about, “I was Yaron, I could talk long and skillfully, I had this all under control.


“I was abandoned on a grim desolated island by black hearted traitors.” I said dramatically, “An enchantress dressed all in red and gold gave me yon trunk which flew me threw the air to you for aid.”
But why didn't she just send you here?” the spokesman asked skeptically, “Why bother with a trunk?” A murmur of agreement ran through the others.
The Enchantress is trapped herself, unable to fly in the trunk herself.” I said quickly. Although, really I had no idea. I was making everything up as I went along.
Ah, I see.” the spokesman said after a pause, “I am Lint, and these are my sons.” he gestured at the other men and boys.
What all of them?” I asked skeptically. There had to be at least twenty or thirty of them.
Aye, all of them strange young master.” Lint said. I shook my head. The man was obviously deranged.
Honorable father, can we not bring this strange man to our fire so he can tell us more stories about the mysterious enchantress?” one of the other men asked.
The storyteller will come.” Lint said. I frowned. Lint was younger then the man who had called him honorable father.


Sometime in Harvest
I have become quite established in the little village as a storyteller. I tell tales of conquests and battles from home. A great favorite is the story of Captain Bluebeard. I like to tell in the dark by a blazing campfire. I know my listeners get chilled when I describe the secret closet where Bluebeard hid all his dead wives. The village is called Sha. Woman and girls are not allowed to leave their houses, at least that is what I assume, since not one has made a single appearance since of have come. I am not allowed to see or tell stories to them either. This hardly seems very fair. What a dull existence for the poor women and girls. If I could figure out if the trunk really flies. I could fly around and tell stories everywhere. I think that would be a remarkable idea. I am tired of ship duty anyway. People seem to like my stories. Perhaps I could earn some gold and silver.


To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment