Wednesday, June 20, 2018

DoFP Part 3, Yaron's Diary

+JMJ+

Part 3

Harvest Season Day 24
I now know the date again. About two weeks ago, I returned to my trunk and climbed in it. I spent the night there. The following morning when I awoke I was somewhere else. An island village called Sha. I was very close to home. If I could only cross the divide. The people of Sha have no concept of hosts and I cannot convince the trunk to return me to Glittering Island. But meanwhile I found out that the people of Sha are so starved for entertainment that they will pay me much gold to tell them stories. There is no lack to their gold since the mines are full of gold, silver, copper, bronze and many other precious metals. My trunk is full now full to bursting. If father knew about this island he would certainly conquer it. I shall do my best to protect these silly slow minded idiots. They have been generous with me, so will be kind to them.

Colored leaves Season Day 5
I took another sleep in the trunk and ended up in a vast city called Kalor. It is bigger then Sha, Greengrove and Desolate Island put together. I barely had time to climb out of the trunk before I was surrounded by children of all ages begging me for a story. They called me Master Storyman. I gave each a copper and told them the story of the peacocks at my sister's wedding feast. They laughed and clapped.
More, more Master Story man!” they screamed. Before I could oblige them, hundreds of armed men swarmed down on us and confiscated my trunk and me. The children fled and I was brought to a palace that was made of pure marble. Believe me when I say, that I had no desire to tell anyone there a story. I was brought into an enormous gold lined assembly chamber. A tall lithe man with a thick massive beard dripping with gold glared down at me from the throne. He was the king of Kildimere. Kalor was a city in Kildimere. These people were my enemies. The people that mutinied against me. If the king recognized me, he could very well execute me. Perhaps that was why I had been brought to him. The king stood up and looked me up and down. I scowled. What a horrid man.
We heard about your fame as a master teller of tales on Greengrove and Sha.” the king rasped. “We wish to be entertained, spin your tales, teller Master.” the word no was on the point of bursting from my lips, when I thought of a better way. One that would save me from getting killed.
Oh King of Kildimere, vast supreme lord of Kalor.” I said with the most exotic bow I could create at the moment, “The tales must wait until the morning. Before I spin entertainment for your sublimeness, I must have meat, drink and rest.” the king looked far from pleased, but I got what I asked for. Little do they know that my trunk and I will be long gone before they can wake.

Colored Leaves Season Day 6
Sure enough, the trunk moved. When I climbed out of the trunk, I found myself on a bleak rocky shore. When I climbed to the top of the rocks, I saw a tall black forbidding tower. Between me and the tower was a boggy ground, pot holes and sharp treacherous rocks. It was a natural barrier if I ever saw one. The few trees were colored with scraggly gray leaves. One would hardly guess that it was the Season of the Colored leaves. I am determined to take a look at the tower.

Later
I just spent the entire day trying to get through the dead bog, only to find myself right back where I started. Perhaps if I get back in the trunk and think very hard about the tower, I shall find myself there instead of here. There has to be a method for steering the flying trunk.

Colored Leaves Season Day 7
This morning I found myself in a pitch black room. When I awoke I could see nothing. I tried to climb out and crashed into a table. I yelled so loud that I almost burst my own eardrums. After crashing and blundering over carpets and into tapestries I found a door. I opened and found myself in a gloomy narrow passage lit by a single smoky torch. Having nowhere else to go, I went down the passage. Soon I was coughing and spluttering. How could one torch make so much smoke. I had gone about thirty feet when I found another door. I pushed it open and found myself on a balcony. Choking and coughing I kicked the door shut and draped myself unceremoniously over the rail. Presently I heard a tittering sound. I looked up. The gloomy dead bog stretched out in front of me, with rocks in the distance. I was in the tower after all. Further up about ten feet away almost around the corner was a another balcony. A tall slender girl in a blue and white robe was leaning on the rail looking down on me. Her long wavy haired flowed like a dark river past her waist. I stood up with as much dignity as I could muster.
Please Lady, what do you find quite so amusing?” I asked darkly. The girl gave a little shriek then vanished into the tower. I cursed my stupidity. I must have sounded harsh to her. “Come back!” I called. Of course there was no answer.

Colored Leaves Season Day 8
After seeing the girl, I continued exploring and found a kitchen. I was gratified with food, but could find no stairs, ladder heading to the next floor. Today I went back to the balcony and was pleased to see that the girl was there. This time she actually spoke to me.
How did you get in here?” she asked.
Is it not allowed to enter this here glorious tower, oh illustrious lady?” I asked smoothly.
You talk funny.” she giggled. “Where did you come from?”
Glittering Island.” I said sullenly, “We were taught manners there.”
Truly?” the girl laughed, “You must have been forgotten in the manner school.” My mouth dropped open. I had never been so ill treated in my entire life. Why I was a prince. No one ever dared speak to me so. Then I remembered the mutiny. So this girl was a close second. What happened to all the respect in the world?

“I am Alia.” the girl said suddenly, “What do they call you?” I felt a little sick. Alia had been the name of Giselladona's sister. The one that had been married to Bluebeard, before Cassandra. Bluebeard had murdered all his wives. The only reason that he had failed to murder Cassandra was because Zeno, Xander and myself had interfered.
They call me Yaron.” I said briskly, “And I must say that that there is nothing illustrious about your front yard.” Alia giggled.
Silly Yaron.” she said, “Tis not my front yard. This is my prison.” My ears pricked up at this interesting piece of news.
How so?” I asked curiously, “Why are you a prisoner here on this bleak rock?”
When I was a baby, my aunt, a good Enchantress, told my father that I would marry the first man I laid eyes on.” Alia said, “So father brought me here to Greystark island and locked me up and he could find someone worthy of me. I have spent eighteen years here without seeing anyone but father.” she sighed.
But I am a man!” I gasped in horror. What if I was forced to marry Alia. Why I barely knew her. She giggled to much.
No you are not.” Alia giggled.
I am not?” I gasped, “Then what am I?”
You are just a boy.” she replied calmly.
I am older then you!” I retorted, “I am nineteen!” Alia was silent.
Alia?” a savage voice roared, “Get in here! Who were you talking too?”
That is my father.” Alia whispered, her face growing pale, “I fear he would kill you if he could.”
Not me!” I said angrily, “He will not find me here.” I went back to the trunk. Let Alia's creepy father try and find me now. I would be gone before he thought to search the room.

Colored Leaves Season Day 19
I have returned to Sha. My trunk is so heavy with gold, precious stones, necklaces, bracelets and rings, that I cannot lift it. There is barely enough room for me to climb in on top of it. I have been earning money, but my heart is not in it as much as it used to be. I can only picture Alia abandoned with that cruel fahter on that horrid Greystark Island. She must think me cowardly for running from her father. I must apologize for my churlish behavior. I will go back.

Colored Leaves Season Day 22
I awoke in the trunk and it was zooming through the air over Greystark island and circling the tower. My trunk flies! I thought it went in poof of smoke. Once I had finished gasping, I let out a blood curdling scream. The trunk flew towards the roof of the tower. Alia came out on the roof with a little dark skinned girl.
Yaron, you came back!” she cried and lifted her hands towards the trunk. I felt an odd thrill and I lifted my cap.
Certainly I came back.” I said. The trunk landed and I climbed out. The maid looked into the chest.
Oh my!” she squealed.
Are those lovely things for me?” Alia asked as she also looked into the trunk. No comment about why the trunk was flying.
Sure, both of you can help yourselves.” I said, “I do not need jewelery.” the maid put a pearl necklace on and twirled around watching the beads clank. Alia selected a small gold ring with tiny blue stones all around it.
My father searched the whole tower for you.” Alia said when she finished admiring her new ring, “Salt convinced him that we were both hallucinating from spoiled yams.” the maid flashed her teeth.
I knew them yams was spoiled.” she said.
I am not an hallucination.” I protested.
Sure you are sir!” Salt said cheerfully, “Real men do not fly around in boxes full of jewels.”
How do you know?” I demanded, “How can I convince you that I am not a figment of your spoiled yams?”
You cannot.” Salt said primly and clanked her pearls. I pinched her. She screamed.
Leave her alone!” Alia protested. I tried to pinch her too, but she ran away and threw a potted plant at me. I followed her. She went down the steps. Salt chased me, while trying to hit me from behind. The three of us were yelling like common thieves.

Suddenly, we heard the horrible voice of Alia's father and all three of us froze. I am not a coward by nature, but that man's voice freezes my blood.
Tis Master Aldrik.” Salt gasped, “He will kill our apparition.”
I am not an apparition!” I protested, “And I will run from your father no more!” I glared at Alia.
Go back to the roof top, master Yaron.” Alia ordered, “Stay out of sight. My father must not find you. He will think Salt let you in and punish her.” I could not argue with this, without seeming selfish. Grumbling to myself I went back up the steps to the roof. In the good old days, I was the one that could order everyone else around.

Colored Leaves Season Day 23
I hid around the tower yesterday and continued to hide today. But then I got cocky and bored. Not a good combination if you ask me. I started following Aldark. That is Alia's father. I practiced hiding in the shadows. It was great fun and quite thrilling. Salt saw me a few times and nearly went into convulsions. Aldark thought she had gone mad. He never once saw me.

Colored Leaves Season Day 25
Finally that beastly man has gone out so I can converse with the girls again. I told them about the outside world, skimming lightly over the fact that everyone was always at war with each other.
Sounds so lovely.” Alia said wistfully. “But where do you live?”
Nowhere, at present.” I said, “At the moment, I am a homeless man. My crew mutinied and abandoned me on an island.”
Why?” Alia asked in horror.
Obviously, they heard Master Yaron talking and grew tired!” Salt said wickedly.
Careful with your tongue, lady.” I snapped, “I may repossess your pearls.” she clutched her necklace to her heart and ran off shrieking.
Do not tease poor Salt.” Alia protested, “She cannot help being a merry tongue. This place is boring.”
A lady is always right.” I said with false humility. Salt came charging back into the room.
Master Aldark is coming!” she cried, “Do go hide Master Yaron or we will be deeply punished.”
Your concern for me is commendable.” I said. She put her nose in the air.
I was thinking of my own back.” she said haughtily. Alia giggled. I was insulted.

Colored Leaves Season Day 30
For the last five days I have been entertaining Alia and Salt with many tales. I dramatized the story of Bluebeard and his wives. Salt stayed up all night with rows of candles. She said if she blew them out the ghost of Bluebeard would murder her, then hang her up by her hair. Alia laughed at Salt, but I noticed she spent the night with all her candles lit too. I was quite pleased with the success of my story. But I did switch from horror to comic tales after that. I had plenty to tell. Uli and the peacocks was the best. The girls laughed so heard when I mimicked Cassandra's rage over the joke. Life in the tower is quite pleasant. Or it would be if I did not have this nagging feeling that I am breaking my promise to Eleth and deceiving Aldark. He may be a monster, but he is still Alia's father. He deserves some respect.

Gray Time Day 1
My heart is still bounding in fright. I went down in the marsh today. It was an interesting experience. It was great fun to look for secret ways through the marsh. I had managed to locate a safe path to the middle of the marsh, when all of a sudden someone grabbed me form behind. It was Aldark. He touched my throat with a black bladed knife.
Who are you that you dare trespass on my island?” he bellowed. I kicked him in the shin. He let out an enraged bellow and loosened his hold on me. I took off as fast as I could. Suddenly something crashed down on top of me. When I awoke my head was bleeding and I was locked in a dark cell. I was a prisoner.

To Be Continued

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment