Monday, October 2, 2017

Prince Charming's Diary, part 11

Prince Charming's Diary
Prince John

Day 27
I went back to Ella's house today. But she was not around. Her two rotten stepsisters were, but I avoided them. I am really upset about it. I really do not wish to go home. Elise will ask me who I was visiting. Jerome will go one and on about the fickleness of women. Master Won will be returning with his first report on the stupid Cinderella hunt. As for me, I will slink to my chamber and not cry. Life is killing me. Well, when I got home, it all happened exactly as I expected. I detest being right.

Before I close off this entry, I am going to rant about Master Won. I am completely and totally disgusted and shocked. He has been making, well the ladies anyway, try on that stupid glass shoe. Um- can he not just look at her face and know if it is or is not the right girl? People are so stupid. Master Won is making everyone believe I am a fool. I do not like it at all. Jerome told me, the page boys are calling me Prince a la Fool. How would you like a nickname like that. I feel so miserable. I do not even love Lady Cinderella. I wish I could talk this over with Ella Marie. I would endure this for her, but for someone I do not love, it is unbearable.

I was still busy wallowing in self pity when I heard Elise telling Jerome that she was going to follow Master Won and spy on him, when he “hunts” for Lady Cinderella.
“I am going with you!” Jerome replied promptly, “I bet the lout is having fun at our expense!” Jerome may be right. I will be going with them tomorrow. If Master Won is simply living off father, it is my duty to stop him.

Day 28
I had horse riding lessons today. But I told Sir Patrono that I had something important to do instead. He did not sound pleased about that.
“Do that another day.” he said bluntly, as he saddled his horse. I had to tell him the truth, as I had no good excuses planned. He actually liked that. People should tell the truth more often. People tend to like it more then the lies. “Prick that old windbag good!” he cried, “A good booting his backside is just the thing he needs!” I could not agree more.

Jerome, Elise and I set out. Following Master Won and his shoe circus is easy. Especially for someone who is good at tracking, like Jerome. The troupe did not even try to cover their tracks. There was a flag bearer on horseback carrying a banner with a shoe one it in the front of the parade. How very original. Next came two guards with sharp spears. Then two silk clad servants bearing a tiny litter with the shoe on it. Two guards with drawn swords, walked behind that. Then came Master Won on horseback with a sealed scroll. Behind him were two more guards, who were also carrying spears. They looked so solemn and important, but at the same time, stupid.

Jerome clutched at his stomach and started shaking all over. His face turned bright red and his eyes bulged. At first I thought he was either going to be sick or have a seizure. But then I saw he was trying not to laugh. I hit him.
“Stop it, you clown!” I hissed.
“Shhhh.” Elise ordered, “They will hear you!”
“I- I cannot help it!” Jerome gasped, then exploded into laughter. I was so going to kill him. Once we had shut Jerome up, we went home. I am going to pack a bag and go after Master Won. I need to stop him from making a laughing stock of my family and I. It is not good for the kingdom if no one respects the king.

Day 29
I had fully intended to go by myself, but when I sneaked into the stable this morning to fetch my horse, both Elise and Jerome were waiting for me. Elise had a saddle bag of food. Good thing someone thinks about that kind of thing.
“How long will we follow Master Won?” Elise asked as we rode off down the road.
“Oh maybe two or three days.” Jerome said, “Once we discover Won's methods, we will sabotage it and then come home.”
“Not two or three days!” I gasped, “Surely not.” I expected to be home by tomorrow, with a repentant Won. Jerome shrugged.
“Alright Boss.” he said.

We did not catch up to Master Won until nightfall, when his circus stopped at an inn for the night. This was mostly because we passed by three villages before we thought to look for Won. A helpful villager told us that he was not due in their village for three days, so we had to backtrack. Master Won and company was barely three miles from the castle. I could hardly believe it. I wanted to go into the inn and get rooms for us, but my silly brother and sister insisted that we sleep outside where no one could discover us.

Day 30
Sleeping on the ground is so uncomfortable. Whenever I moved there was always another sharp rock resting under my ribs. I was up with the sun. But Elise and Jerome were up earlier. Apparently sleeping outside is the easiest way to ensure yourself of getting up early. I feel so sore, stiff and tired. I just want to die. To make matters worse Master Won and company failed to get up for another four hours. By that time we had eaten every scrap of our food out of sheer boredom. Finally, my ex-dancing instructor swaggered out of the inn, mounted a platform and announced the shoe.
“Hear ye, hear he!” he bellowed, “Good people of this little filthy town, come and bring your maidens. The glass slipper had arrived. The damsel who fits yon slipper shall be the next queen of our sweet kingdom.” I smacked my head. How terrible. No one was going to answer that call. It was degrading.

Suddenly a gaggle of girls materialized in front of Master Won and the slipper. The trampled everyone and everything in their way. The guards had to hold them back or they would have attacked the slipper. I had never been so mortified in my entire life. At least none of them fit the slipper. I am never marrying a girl who snatches a shoe from another girl and slugs her in the face with the heal of said shoe.

Day 31
Elise bought us some cheese from the market and we picked apples. It was no feast, but at least we will not starve. I wish we had not eaten all our other food yesterday. We followed the troupe again today. The same thing happened as yesterday. More brats fighting over the stupid shoe.
“Do you think that it is odd that no one can fit the slipper?” Elise asked, “Even the really small girls.” I need to get a closer look at that shoe. But I could have sworn it was larger then some of the feet that could not get into it.

Day 32
Oh my, we must be seven miles from home now. I cannot believe how slowly this troupe is going. But anyway, we were doing the usual when Sir Patrono came galloping up. Master Won may have totally failed to find us, but Sir Patrono found us right away. I think Master Won would make a terrible soldier.
“Your princessness and princeslingnesses.” he called, “Your Royal brother Jaden bids you come home immediately.” Blast! We did not get any evidence against Master Won. I wondered what Jaden wanted as we returned home.

I feel terrible and guilty for leaving home now. Mother is ill. Terribly ill. The bumbling physician said she was dying. Father is away fighting pirates and cannot be reached. The physician said mother only has a few days. How can I have not noticed sooner?

Day 33
I was expecting mother to be better today. In fact was fairly certain that she would be better, because the physician was a moran. But she was worse. Elise played with Jaden's little boy without being asked, while Jaden and Elaine talked with the Physician. Belle and James came over early this morning. Justin and Eleanor came later. While everyone was talking. I sneaked into mother's chamber. The physician said no one was to see her. I went in anyway. Surely it would not kill mother if I just took a peak. She was awake when I looked in. She beckoned for me to come closer.
“John!” she croaked. I went over to her quickly and took her hand. “You must marry a princess. I must hear you promise me that the line will continue through you.”
“Yes mother.” I promised. I thought of Ella Marie, but said nothing. The kingdom was more important then my own personal desires.
“Marry that girl you spent so much time with at the ball.” Mother said. I blinked. True, if I had to chose someone from the ball it would be Lady Cinderella. I hesitated. It was tempting.
“But-” I gasped, “She told em she is not a princess.” I decided to be honest. Immediately I felt as if a weight had lifted from my chest.
“It does not matter.” she murmured, “Go with Master Won, find her. If she is willing, marry her.” I decided that I would do as she asked. It is a good idea to grant your mother's dying wish, no matter how stupid you thought it was.
“Anything else?” I asked softly as she closed her eyes.
“Yes, I wish to speak to your twin.” she said. She wanted to speak with Joesph! I did not even know where he was. Tears stung my eyes. I left her chamber and Joesph was seated right outside the door. Surprise.


To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment