Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Prince Charming's Diary, part 6

Prince Charming's Diary
Prince John

Day 15
I felt like an idiot in my desert themed suit. But at least I did not have to wear a turban. James was wearing one, and it looked like the cloth was trying to eat his head. Most disturbing. I was not any more pleased with the guests. They arrived in their silly costumes, were announced by the pompous steward, came in and got into a very long line to be introduced to me and my family. Good thing Joseph was not here. He would have started a few wars with his perfectly “honest” comments, that would have greatly offended everyone. I wished I had his spunk so I could make a few. After all the silly princesses in their sweeping brightly colored tunics and baggy trousers, the less noble people started coming in. Master Won tried to get me to engage in a conversation with a princess. Her name started with Shel, but I do not remember the rest. I am sure it was not important. I was to busy watching for Ella Marie to pay much attention to her.

The doors were shut and the musicians started to play a low melodious waltz. A waltz I was supposed to dance. There was no Ella Marie, and Princess Shel- what's her name, was standing uncomfortably close. I dodged past her, ignored Master Won's wild hand signals, and took my mother's hand. She did not looked pleased. What could I say, she was the most attractive lady there. I felt awkward and stiff dancing in front of so many people. But lucky for me, mother was a graceful dancer. I could not help noticing how gray mother's hair was, how thin and pale she looked. I hoped it was just the lights, making her looks so old and sick. When the dance finished, I returned mother to her chair. The dumb musicians started playing the same dance again. I could hear the crowd stirring. I could not believe it. They were still going to make me dance a “first” dance. Princess Shel-whatwasit, was edging towards me. I hastily pounced on Elise. A groan went up from the crowd.
“Stop stalling dumb brain!” Elise hissed in my ear as we waltzed onto the floor.
“I do not want to dance with the shell princess!” I hissed back.
“You mean, Shelwona?” she replied, “You have good taste in refusing her.” Elise's lips curled in a sneer. Once the dance finished. The musicians of course, started the same really lame dance over again. Everyone was looking expectant. I had no one left to ask, except a perfect stranger. I was tempted to grab the serving maid, Lucinda, I think her name was, and dance with her, even though she was holding a tray of sweetmeats. I felt like a hawk.

Suddenly, the doors swept open and a perfectly strange, but an extremely beautiful woman came sweeping through them. Her dress was long and white with a train and made of linen or something that was definitely not silk. Over the top of it, was a thin layer of silk. Her shoes were sparkling slippers. Her hair was down, and she were a flower wreath made with real pearls. I was terrified of her. She swept down the steps, and came strait for me. I wanted to melt. Beautiful women were on the top of my list as the most terrifying thing to talk to. But at least she was not dressed like every other person in the room. She walked up to me. She was short. Almost a head shorter then me. Then she laughed. It was a warm pleasant laugh, almost like Ella Marie's laugh, but not as pleasant.
“John?” she said. She even called me by my own name like Ella Marie. This was weird. She had the same brown colored hair. But her's seemed so much thicker. Then I noticed Lady Miranda and her two horrible daughters. They were glowering at me. I almost laughed. HA! They probably felt terrible about the way they had treated me. Feeling good, I bowed to the beautiful lady.
“Would you care to dance?” I asked. I might as well dance one dance with her. The musicians would not leave me alone until I danced with someone besides family. She smiled and took my hand. Well, at least mother would be happy I was dancing with a princess.

I was wrong. I did not dance only one dance with the princess. I danced every one with her, except the ones I danced with my sisters-in-law. Belle is a terrible dancer. Good thing James is. He can teach her. Ugh, my feet. Eleanor is really good, to bad Justin is not. Elaine is fairly tolerable. Rapunzel is the best though. You might be wondering how I know, it is because she and Joseph came to the ball. Both disguised. He came up to me, and we talked briefly, then I danced with Rapunzel, while he sneaked around and visited the rest of our brothers. I hope he does not make a lot of trouble. After that, I danced with the mysterious princess again. When I asked for her name, she looked like she was going to cry. But then she told me it was Lady Cinderella. So not a princess after all. But who would be cruel enough to name their daughter, Cinderella?

Cinderella was a good dancer, and it was pleasant enough dancing with her, especially after she agree to do the peasant reel out in the garden. That was much more entertaining. It is a skip dance, so we linked arms and danced around, and of course tripped over her train. Then we both laughed. I still like Ella Marie better. I was in the middle of teaching her how to do the Pirate jig, when the clock started striking midnight. My goodness, that means it is actually day sixteen.

To Be Continued

Costumes worn by various dancers
 Prince John in his desert tribe themed costume. He is even wearing that horrible sash.

 Princess Elise in her costume.

 Lady Cinderella.

John's mother.

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment