Friday, August 4, 2017

Prince Charming's Diary, part 5

Prince Charming's Diary
Prince John

Day 12
Today, I was just beginning to get over my fright the horrible Lady Miranda had given me, when Mother called me to her room. She looked much worse then she had last time I visited.
“John, why are you trying so hard to be like your brothers?” she asked. I had not realized that.
“I am?” I asked.
“John, the ball will be announced today.” she said sharply, “You will have extra dancing lessons and three new suits of the finest cloth!” Three suits? This is so not fair!
“Er- why three, I will not be changing in the middle of the dance, will I?” I asked in dismay.
“Three balls!” Mother informed me. THREE? Who needs three balls? That was so unfair.

The minute I left my mother's chamber, I bumped into Jerome and Elise. Jerome was telling her several different ways to skin a deer. Elise looked bored.
“Who needs three balls?” I cried. They stared at me.
“What?” Elise gaped, “Who is having three balls?”
“I will most certainly not be attending.” Jerome said, “The very idea of dancing all night with some stupid young princess that I never met, is the worst thing-”
“I am!” I interrupted, “Mother says I am having three balls and three new suits! It was bad enough having one ball, but three- it is to horrible!” Elise patted me on the arm, like I was a puppy, or something.
“There, there Johnny.” she cooed, “Everything will be quite alright.”
“Maybe you will meet your darling on the first night.” Jerome suggested, “Then you, of course, will not be so miserable the other three nights.” I scowled, then rushed past them. There false sympathy was killing me.
“After all you will be king of father's lands!” Elise yelled after me, “You must have three elegant and stately balls!” Now I not only have to be king, but I have to have three balls and three suits too! Life is so unfair!

Day 13
Today, Master Won and Elise went to the tailor with me. It was torture. The stupid tailor had already pieced together my disgusting blue silk suit, but he needed to adjust it to fit. I believe he poked me with at least five hundred pins.
“You should add a ribbon somewhere!” Elise told the tailor.
“The Princess is so intelligent.” the tailor praised. He made me sick.
“NO ribbons!” I snarled.
“Perhaps knee length breeches with ribbons around the cuffs would look more appropriate.” The evil Master Won suggested. He was so going to pay for that.
“I shall do so for the second suit.” the tailor cooed. I was so going to have him executed.
“What about the third night?” Elise asked, “It has to be the most glorious suit of all!”
“I have it figured, my sweetest princess.” the tailor said, “He shall have a long ankle length cloak of peacock feathers, and-”
“Stop!” I cried in horror, “Did you say peacock feathers?”
“You will be so handsome!” Elise cried.
“Very dignified.” Master Won added.
“I will look like a disgusting bird!” I wailed.
“We must fit with the theme.” the tailor said firmly.
“What theme?” I asked with a shudder.
“Peacocks of course!” Elise said.
“Ugh!” I cried.
“We must not, of course, forget that the first theme is Desert tribes.” Master Won said.
“What?” I gasped. The tailor held up the blue silk coat. I had been wondering why it was so big.
“A long desert coat of the richest blue silk in the world.” he said.
“Eek!” I choked. I did not dare ask what the theme for the second night would be.
“Knee length breeches, of course, will go quite well with the pirate theme for the second ball.” the tailor said. If I had been a very little younger, I may just have burst into tears.

Day 14
Today, Jaden, Justin and James arrived with their wives and ugly little offsprings. I almost did not mind having to babysit them. At least it kept my mind off of the miserable inevitable that was to happen tomorrow night.
“You must feel pretty special!” James said, “Three balls without asking!” Back, before he had married Belle, he would always demand parties in his honor. I had to say, marriage improved him.
“Not in the least!” I retorted, “I have to dress up like an idiot!” James snickered at me.
“But that girl you are always going to see will come, of course!” Justin said, “That should make you happy.” What does he mean by that? I never told anyone about Ella Marie.

“I have to go.” Elise muttered and took off. I was furious. Elise was telling our brothers that I was going to see a girl. I was, but that was beside the point. She could have been wrong. UGH! It is so going to be a long day.

No comments:

Post a Comment