Sunday, April 14, 2019

DoHP Part 7, Waylan's Diary

+
+JMJ+

Diary of a Hunter Prince
Part Seven


Being the Fourteenth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
Plans changed yesterday. The Hag informed us that Rushamorn had deliberately provoked my people to declare war. If we did not get home in two days war could not possibly be averted. The Glitterarians were sailing for Kildimere and right into Rushamorn's ambush. They would all be slaughtered. Zeno, Yaron, Xander and Verek would all be in the lead ship for sure. They would be killed without a chance to defend themselves. So instead of returning to the rebels we set sail for home. Philip, Hag, Goldie, our mute prisoner companion and myself.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Sixteenth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
I had to be helped ashore by both Philip and the Hag. I could barely stand I was so seasick. But once ashore the Glitterarians apprehended us. I was recognized and we were whisked off to the palace. But with no time to recover from being seasick I was sure I was going to die.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Seventeenth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
I was sure we would be able to see father as soon as we reached the palace, instead we were told to wait and given refreshments. Dang! The wretches put us on a waiting list!

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twentieth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
My seasickness had worn off and my temper was flaring! When the steward told us that we would have to wait another day, today, I punched him in the face. He was a jerk, he was always getting Verek, Deborah and myself in trouble with our father. He knew full well that I was truly Prince Waylan. Anyway, once he was flat on his back, I stepped over him and set out for the throne chamber. If anyone tried to stop them, I plowed through them.

I kicked open the throne chamber door and stormed in. Two guards blocked my way. I did a running slide and went right under their spears. I came up behind them and booted them over.
“Waylan!” Verek yelled and rushed to join me. The guards drew away muttering.
“You did not go on the ships!” I sighed with relief.

“No one did.” Verek cried excitedly, “Someone sabotaged all the tiller thingy that makes them turn or something.” I glanced over my shoulder. Philip and Goldie were panting in the doorway. Hag must have staid to care for our unknown companion. Philip winked. He was intelligent enough to stop my family from being slaughtered and his people from killing them. I would have to thank him later.

Then Madra was embracing me, and the rest of my family was gathering around. Apparently for some reason non of them knew I had come back. This surprised me. I had thought my return was no secret.
“How did you escape those traitors?” Zeno demanded sharply, “Toledio sent a secret message by eagle, saying you were dead.”
“Toledio!” I cried smacking my forehead, “I forgot about him.”
“Waylan, who are your friends?” Anne asked as she touched my shoulder.
“Oh that is just Prince Philip and the most wanted female rebel in Kildimere.” I said with a smirk. To my surprise, Xander rushed and Philip and would have attacked him. But Philip was to quick, he caught my brother my the armpits and flipped him over on his back.
“Xander!” my brother's fiance screamed and rushed to his side, pausing to slap Philip.

“Seize him!” father said coldly as he stood up. I whirled. The guards made a rush at Philip. He put up his fists. Goldie did a flip and kicked one of the guards in the face.
“Father, no!” I cried, “Listen to me!” but no one was listening to me. Philip was dragged down by the sheer weight of numbers, and marched off. I ranted and yelled until everyone told me to shut up. What had I done? Why did I ever bring Philip to the Glittering Island?

Being the Twenty-First Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
There is a heavy strain on my family. Philip is in cell. My family knows I do not approve and they are all angry at me. Here are some comments.
“How could you bring the Kildimerian prince here?” Zeno snapped, “Would you endanger our kingdom so easily?”
“Oh Waylan, why?” Anne asked over and over again.
“I have crossed blades with him in battle!” Yaron shouted, “He tried to murder you!”
“Waylan, how could you bring that ugly creature of low tastes, here?” Beatrice demanded.
“I would as soon as kill him as eat!” Xander snarled.
“Didn't you know he was an enemy, I did.” Cassandra said.
“I am not judging him by his looks, but by what he did to you!” Deborah stormed, “He will pay!”
“Deborah, get in line! I get to kill him first!” Verek said.

The rest of my family had equally nasty things to say. I belted out the truth any number of times, but no one wanted to listen.
“They are all lies!” I yelled, “Philip saved my life! He is nothing like Rushamorn! In fact Rushamorn wanted to kill him!”
“We are going to behead the prince in a public ceremony and send the head back to Kildimere!” father said with relish. I would have to save Philip on my own. I was very disappointed in my family. At least Goldie, the Hag and the other prisoner were allowed to go free. The freed prisoner was doing well, but he seemed to have lost his memory.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Second Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
I entered my father's private garden today for the first time in my life. I needed to talk to him. He was seated on a pile of cushions by the bubbling fountain. He did not seem surprised to see me.
“Father.” I said grimly, “It seems you have a rather funny way of celebrating the return of a supposedly dead son.”
“Funny? How so?” he asked, his face expressionless.
“By imprisoning my friend, and refusing to listen to my explanation.” I muttered.
“Waylan.” father said, his voice sounding hard, “It would have been better that you had not returned. The worst thing your brother, Yaron, ever did was make peace!”
“Wha-?” I gulped in horror and astonishment.
I started the war, which Yaron so annoyingly ended!” father said grimly, “I had Kildimere in my sights. I was to conquer her!”
“But-” I gasped.
“Both you and Yaron have annoyed me mightily.” Father continued, “Therefore, I shall return your friend's head to Kildimere and continue the war as before.” he scowled, “Once the ships have been mended of course!”
“Well, you will only be doing Rushamorn a favor!” I shouted most disrespectfully, and stormed out of the garden. I would have get Philip away from the Glittering Island with his head still attached. But what can I possibly do?

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Third Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
I planned to spring Philip out of prison. Unfortunately I could not count on the Hag or Goldie as they were both being watched. But I did secure the help of the old prisoner. Everyone seemed to think him insane. He certainly rambled and looked clueless enough, but that could hardly be helped as he had certainly been tortured for who knows how long. But anyway, father seemed to think him harmless enough. But he seemed shrewd enough. But he knew how to hold his tongue. I wonder what Rushamorn was torturing him for. He was not very old. Probably not much older then myself. He had long dark brown hair, a funny upturned nose and very dark eyes.

We sneaked down through the palace, avoiding guards and slipping from shadow to shadow. Prisoner was the distraction. Yes, that is what we decided to call him, as he could remember no name. While I cowered in the shadows, Prisoner slouched up to the two guards. They cringed slightly. They were probably superstitious, believing madness was contagious. Prisoner helped himself to one of the guards' sabers.
“Hey!” the guard gasped, his voice sound weak. Prisoner cocked his head, looking completely mad, then he trotted off.
“Stop him!” the second guard protested.
“You do it!” the first guard cried.
“It is your saber!” the second guard retorted.
“Are you just going to let a madman run off with your weapons?” I shouted, as I burst out of the shadows.
“No sir!” the guards gasped and tumbled over themselves in their haste to escape. I grinned, and took the keys off the ring in the wall.
“Stupid.” I whispered, and unlocked the door.

Philip was seated on the floor of a bare little room. He was not chained or anything, but he was definitely a prisoner. There were no windows or light. He looked rumpled and angry. A single empty earthenware dish was on the floor by his feet.
“About time you showed up!” he snarled.
“You would not believe the lack of help I obtained!” I cried, “Not come on, before the guards come back!” Philip scrambled to his feet and we left the cell. I locked the door and hung up the key before we hurried down the corridor.

We had not made it very far, before we were cut off. I could hear father, Zeno, Yaron and Chief Advisers arguing in the corridor just ahead of us. Behind us, I could hear the heavy tramp of a corridor patrol. We could go no further without running into one of the two groups.
“Dang!” I said, “So much for that plan! Busted!”
“What about this way?” Philip asked as he pushed aside a curtain.
“Bad idea!” I gasped. But it was to late, Philip had already darted in. Pulling my hair and cursing. Usually my sisters spent the day with their maids in the lounge. Sewing, or doing whatever ladies did when they were bored. But today only two girls were in the room. Anne and Deborah. Anne was seated on some cushions sewing or something. Deborah was standing on a low table, dancing between scattered fruit. At first I was relieved that Beatrice was not present. Then I was embarrassed to see Deborah on the table. Then I was horrified. To be caught between Anne and Philip was not on my list of dreams.

“Waylan, what do you think you are doing?” Deborah asked as she tried to step off the table. Unfortunately there happened to be a banana right where she was stepping. Her feet shot into the air and she landed ungracefully like a ton of bricks. I winced. Anne stood up her face surprised and maybe even a little angry.
“Just passing through.” Philip said as he tried to back out.
“To late!” I muttered, “Lets get out of here!” I started to pull him towards the other door.
“Father is going to be angry.” Anne said softly.
“Yes, and he also happens to be planning on serving Philip's head on a dish to Rushamorn!” I snapped, my temper flaring, “Philip may be the prince of Kildimere, but he also happens to be my friend! Everything that happened between Kildimere and the Glittering Island is Rushamorn and father's faults. They are the ones that want war! Why father told me himself that he-”
“Never mind what father told you.” Anne said quickly, “Just get him out of here. Actually maybe you should hide him on the roof until nightfall.” Above the lounge was a small roof balcony where the ladies could enjoy the day without actually going outside.
“No thank you.” Philip mumbled without meeting Anne's gaze.
“Good idea.” I said, “Take it!” I told him, “You can escape better at night.” I glanced back at Anne, “Keep the others off roof.” I turned to Deborah, “And you keep your mouth shut or you will be sorry!” She made a face at me.
“That is no way to talk to a lady!” Philip told me sharply.
“Well Deborah happens to be no lady and my triplet to boot it.” I said with a smirk. Deborah kicked me. I just grinned. Things were looking up.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Fourth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
It was only a little after midnight, when Anne appeared at my chamber door with a candle. I had been sleeping fully clothed. I was ready.
“The Prince is ready to leave.” she whispered, “But he is in a really nasty mood.” I could hardly blame him. What with finding that his own father wanted to kill him as well as his friend's father and spending so much time in prison he could hardly be having a good time. Of course I had not told him the truth about his supposed father yet.

We let Philip off the roof and slipped quietly through the deserted halls for the gate. Philip was in a nasty mood. He kept muttering intelligible words under his breath. I did not ask him to speak louder. I doubted that it would be pretty. Prisoner was waiting for us at the gate. All four guards were unconscious on the floor. I stared at Prisoner rather surprised. What had he done?
“Alright, I am off.” Philip said grimly, “We probably will not meet again, but thank you for saving me.” He turned to go.
“Are you going back to Kildimere?” I asked softly, “Remember it is a two day crossing and you wrecked all the tillers.”
“Go back there?” Philip spat, “Not on your life!” He turned and darted out of the gate. Prisoner followed him. And that was the end of that.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Fifth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
Yesterday there was a hue and cry over the missing prisoner. The news spread quickly that I had helped him escape, but Anne's part never got past Deborah and me. Apparently Deborah told Verek what I had done, and Verek told Uli. Uli told Xander and so on. The news eventually worked it's way to father's ears. Anyway, I was given a loud yelling. I did not care at all. At least Philip had escaped. Besides I was used to the discord in the family. But something came up today. The ships were mended and the Glitterarian army was sailing for Kildimere at high tide. To me there was only one thing to do. Get to Kildimere first and show the book to everyone. Get Philip proclaimed king. Once Rushamorn was dethroned Yaron could easily talk peace back. But how was I going to get there first?

“Use Yaron's ship!” I jumped and whirled. It was Anastasia. I had not heard her sneak up behind me. I was surprised.
“What?” I said.
“Use the Sea Princess, stupid!” she snapped, “A flying ship can sail faster then a sailing ship.”
“Xander will hardly let me.” I muttered.
“He will if I tell him too!” Anastasia said and smacked her fists together. I raised my eyebrows.
“What?” I said.
“Look, I do not intend to become a widow before I am even married, so stop your father's stupid war!” was the command.
“Yes, ma'am!” I said and went to find Xander.

Anastasia worked quickly. Xander finally had to sigh and let me attempt peace after Zeno, Yaron, Anne, Giselladona, Alia, Anastasia and Madra started arguing with him. None of them were very enthusiastic about Kildimere, but they were less enthusiastic about war. Zeno believes in putting the Kingdom above everything else. To him, what was best for the Kingdom was the right thing to do. Yaron will go with whatever Zeno thinks. He probably thinks the same anyway. Xander likes blood and war, but I think even he understands that Kildimere could destroy the Glittering Island. Or can they? Who knows? But their wives and Madra had no wish to see them killed, so they sided with me. Now all we had to do was fly over father's fleet to Kildimere and dethrone Rushamorn. If Philip married Anne, father should be satisfied that he sort of got control over the Kingdom. It would have to do, even though it was a very weak plan.

I hope a survive another ship ride. Maybe flying will be easier on me then sailing. Surely it can hardly be worse.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Sixth Day of Green Season

Dear Little Book,
Flying is not only worse then sailing, I thought I was going to die. So apparently did everyone else. To make matters worse, Xander stood on the tippy point he calls a spitbow, bowspear or something like that, and whooped. I just crashed on the deck the second we launched into the air and did not move. Goldie and Hag, who had come with us, tried to move me but I just howled louder, so they abandoned me.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Seventh Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
We made the crossing in only one day, something must be said for flying. But I had no time to recover, I had to get the book. Xander sailed right over the Pits and the Hag, Goldie and I slid down ropes. Yes, we made quite a bit of a stir, but I was to occupied with being sick to care much. I slid down the rope burning my hands and fell in a heap on the ground.
“What are we getting again?” Goldie asked as she tried to help me stand.
“Mmmph!” I gasped and was sick again.

About this time Hugo appeared with three men. One I recognized as a rebel, the other two I did not know. I assumed one of them must be the commander.
“Where have you been?” Hugo asked. He pointed upwards at the Sea Princess, who was drifting off through the clouds, “And what is that?”
“Haven't ye ever seen a flying ship?” I asked thickly, and doubled over.
“Whatever is the matter with him?” one of the men asked as they tried to help me up.
“He has an aversion to heights.” Goldie said, “And is quite allergic to ships.” I then lost interest in the proceedings.

When I came too, I was in my own cubby hole. My stomach had more or less calmed down. The big fat dusty book was on the shelf above my head. No time to rest. I sat up and snatched it up. It was time to make a public statement. I staggered out of the cubby hole clutching my treasure. Goldie, the Hag, Hugo and all the other rebels were crowded into the little room.
“Waylan, you are awake at last.” Goldie cried as she hurried to my side.
“You should still be in bed.” one of the rebels grunted.
“You are in no condition to move.” another one said.

“We have to stop war!” I gasped, “My father's fleet will be here tomorrow.” angry murmurs ran through the room. Then the commander stepped forward. He was the only one wearing a mask.
“So the Hag has told us.” he said grimly, “What do you propose we do? Kill your people?”
“Dethrone Rushamorn!” I said with a shake of the head and dropped the book on the table.
“With a book?” Goldie asked.
“We can throw it at his head.” someone laughed.
“It will certainly knock his crown off.” someone else said. I sighed and opened the book.
“Rushamorn is a usurper!” I said, “He killed the previous king-”
“I knew Sylvester death was no accident!” the commander snarled, “The monster! But legally he is still king as he was next in line anyway!”
“He isn't if Sylvester had a son.” I said with a tight grin. In spite of my eagerness to tell everything, my stomach still hurt and made it hard to smile.
“A son?” everyone chorused.
“I suppose you can produce him, then?” the commander said flatly. My heart sank.
“Wish I could.” I muttered, “But Philip took off in a huff!” I flipped the pages to the one about Philip's birthright. I had just the reaction I was hoping for.
“What?”
“Philip is Sylvester's son?”
“I am going to rip Rushamorn to pieces?”
“I don't believe it!”
“When did you discover this?”
“Impossible!”
“How?”
“When were you going to tell us?”

I finally raised my hands for silence. But it took sometime before the astonished rebels could obey my command. Finally everything was quiet.
“We have less then twenty-four hours to convince everyone, including the nobles, that Rushamorn is a traitor and must be removed.” I said, “Once my father arrives, he must be met with peace. He will abide by the rules of chivalry. But watch carefully. He will use any excuse to start a bloodbath.” The next step would surely be easy. Right? What could possibly go wrong?

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Eight Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
Once more dressed as the Hunter, with the Torch and the Knife by my side, I went into battle. But we did miss the Light. Masked, we left the pits and started talking. The Wolves attacked us quickly and we fought them off. The other rebels came pouring out of the pits. Words were lost in the class of weapons. We outnumbered the Wolves easily. But soldiers and guards came pouring out of the palace to come to their rescue. But they could not penetrate the ranks of rebels. Unfortunately that was where the good part ended. The Masked Bandits were separated from the rest of the rebels by a wedge of wolves. We had strayed from the path. One should never talk to Wolves and we had made that mistake. Once separated we were vulnerable. Three against so many is impossible. The soldiers swooped down on us and dragged us down to the ground by sheer weight of numbers. My bow was ripped out of my hands. Then I was bound and dragged off. So much for attempting the impossible.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Twenty-Ninth Day of the Green Season

Dear Little Book,
We were finally dragged before Rushamorn. He was in a foul rage. The guards had been talking, so we heard that the Glitterarian fleet had arrived, but were unable to land because the city was in turmoil. I think father probably decided to wait until the Kildimerans had destroyed each other, then take over the city.

But back to Rushamorn. He needed to take his rage out on someone and we were probably good scapegoats.
“Unmask these rebel scum!” he snarled, “I shall rip their faces out for daring to cause such an uprising!”
“We did a pretty good job!” Hugo chuckled. Then his mask was ripped off.
“A runaway slave, how typical!” Rushamorn snarled. Hugo grew silent. I scowled. Then Cigore's mask was ripped off.
“Ow!” he yelped.
“Well, well, if it isn't the missing steward.” Rushamorn said. He raised his eyebrows, “This is somewhat unexpected.”
“Yeah, well you deserve a hard boot in the back!” Cigore snarled. One of the guards slapped him. Then my mask was ripped off.
“Ouch!” I yelled and tried to kick the guard. Rushamorn almost fell.
“But- but you are dead!” he gasped.
“So you did try to murder me!” I snarled, “Just to start a war! Is that why you tried to kill Philip too? You wanted everyone to think he did it, which would really make my people mad!”
“You annoy me!” Rushamorn said. He grabbed me by the neck, “I shall kill you myself! It will be public!”
“Your streets are in turmoil!” I spat, “You go outside and a rebel will shoot you!”
“Everyone admires a good execution!” Rushamorn laughed coldly, “No one will attack when the three of you walk between us!” My heart sank.
“It will not work!” Cigore shouted, “Our rule is you walk over the bodies of your friends! Nothing stops justice!”
“And I shall send your father your head!” Rushamorn said, ignoring Cigore, “It was really generous of him to come to me. I shall not have to pay for shipping.” he laughed cruelly and waved us away. What a wretched world I live in.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Thirtieth day of the Green Season,

Dear Little Book,
When the Wolves marched us in our condemned red robes to the platform there was only silence in the streets. Rebel and noble stood side by side. All were armed and all were angry. But they made no move to stop us. I was disappointed. If they united, they could rip the Wolves apart. I certainly would not mind a rescue. In front of the platform was a parley from the Glitterarian fleet. Yaron was in the front. I looked rather green in the face. His four companions looked a little wobbly. So that was the real secret. The Glitterarians were all seas sick. I sighed. No wonder they were waiting.

“You have come to surrender I see.” Rushamorn laughed at them, as stepped onto the platform, “What happened to you? Did your slaves poison you?” he laughed some more.
“We- we have words for you.” Yaron said thickly.
“If you can even speak.” Rushamorn sneered, “But why don't you watch this public demonstration against rebellion while you wait.” Then Yaron's gaze was turned on me. He had a look of absolute horror on his face.
“Hello.” I said with false cheerfulness, “Did father find out the drawback of attacking Kildimere.”
“Ah brothers.” Rushamorn sighed, “How lovely. Him first!”

One of the Wolves yanked me forward and slammed my face down onto the block. I heard a hiss as Rushamorn drew his katana.
“Attack!” one of the Glitterarians yelled, “Save the prince!”
“To late!” Rushamorn jeered. I was very uncomfortable. If my head was severed, at least I would not feel the splinters that kept rubbing off the block into my face.
“Wait!” it was a familiar voice. Toledio. The grip on my hair relaxed slightly and I was able to look up just in time to see my old companion swing off a rope onto the platform. He was dressed in red. I immediately felt stupid. He was the commander. I wanted to wring his neck. No wonder he was kind enough to volunteer coming to Kildimere, he had started the rebellion himself. No wonder he was not in father's army. He went to school, or to be more accurate, went to Kildimere.

“Well, well,” Rushamorn sneered, “If it is not the disloyal companion.” Toledio shrugged, then did a jumping spinning kick that sent the nearest Wolf flying off the platform.
“Take that!” he shouted. The others drew their sabers. Rushamorn touched my neck with his katana.
“If this was supposed to be a rescue, I believe it just failed.” he said coldly.
“Down on your knees before your king, dog!” Toledio said angrily.
“Excuse me?” Rushamorn said. He pointed backwards with his thumb. Then the crowd parted and Philip, looking more like a beggar then a prince, strode out of a house and onto the platform. He was followed by Prisoner.
“Where in the blazes have you been?” Cigore snarled, “We almost got killed.” Rushamorn's face paled.

“You killed my father!” Philip said evenly. The crowd gasped, “Then you lied and pretended to be my father!” More gasps.
“But- but you died.” Rushamorn gasped weakly.
“So you hoped.” Philip said grimly, “You and Maldirk of Glittering Island were both hoping for another war. Well you are both going to fail!”
“What?” Yaron yelled, his face turning red, “You mean I spent hours making peace only for it to be deliberately ruined, on purpose?” I had never seen him so mad.

“Down with the usurper!” I yelled, “Put the true king on the throne!” this was perhaps not the wisest thing to say to the man who is holding a blade against your neck.
“You little-” Rushamorn got no further. Someone hit him in the face with a bowl of porridge. Then the rebels surged forward. Rushamorn and his Wolves were contained. Toledio produced my book and read the paragraph. Eventually the Wolves dropped their weapons and the crowd cheered for Philip.

Regards,
Myself

Being the Fifth Day of the Hot Season

Dear Little Book,
Rushamorn and his Wolves were imprisoned. Father, my brothers and the Glitterarian nobles met with Philip, the nobles of Kildimere and the head rebels, including Toledio. There was a long council. Yaron did a lot of talking. Poor father looked quite crushed when he at last signed the peace treaty. If either King was to brake any of the subjects in the contract they would forfeit their throne to the wronged King as well as the freedom of their family. I was not very comfortable knowing that if father ever attempted to attack Kildimere again, I would have to be a slave. But the treaty was sealed with a royal marriage. The wedding would take place in Kildimere in one month's time. The same time as Philip's coronation.

The contracts were sign and sealed by father, Philip, Zeno and Toledio. I was just shaking Philip's hand and congratulating him, when Hugo burst into the room. Father glared at him.
“Waylan, Philip. “Hugo wailed, “Rushamorn escaped.”
“I am not sorry.” Philip said slowly, “I hated the idea of executing him.”
“He killed your father.” Xander cried incredulously.
“He is also my father's brother.” Philip said.
“All the more reason to kill him.” Xander snapped.
“But-” Hugo gasped, “He wrote your names in blood on the prison walls. He swore a blood oath to kill you both.”
“Looks like you got to kill him after all.” Xander said with a grin as he patted Philip on the back. I am not sure which was more disturbing. The blood oath or that Xander of all people was being friendly with Philip. Judging by how anti-Philip Xander had been in the past, one would have expected him to be happier in strangling him.

Regards,
Myself

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment