Thursday, April 4, 2019

DoSP Part 9, Xander's Diary

+
+JMJ+

Diary of a Sailor Prince
Part 9

Twenty-Ninth day of the Gray Time

It has turned very nasty out. The weather truly is gray. Not to mention cold. Whoever came up with the names for the seasons must have lived in Ashtaran. I voiced my thoughts out loud and everyone stared at me. They were busy making bets on what the next test was going to be. They had no doubt that there was going to be one.
“Boots,” Deadeye said, “This is not Ashtaran. This is Hazelmorn.” I stared at him in surprise. The others were all nodding.
“Then where the heck is Ashtaran?” I asked at last.
“North of us.” Deadeye said.
“Filmont is between us and Ashtaran.” Con said. Boy did I feel like an idiot. It had never occurred to me that the island was more then one kingdom. That would interest my father. He would probably think it easier to conquer if it was not all one Kingdom.
“Listen.” Sharp cried, “The council.”
“No dinner, then?” Hunger sighed.
“Well, I would hardly recommend you to eat tonight.” Sharp said dryly, “A bigger giant is coming from Kildimere to best us in a an eating contest. Whoever consumes three whole bulls first is the winner.” Hunger licked his lips and stroked his red beard.
“Ah.” he sighed, “I can smell the meat crackling over the fire already.”
“Three whole bulls?” I gulped, “Boy does that sound disgusting!”
“Only a giant can do that.” Bale sighed.
“Or a monster.” Con added.
“Jugding by how much Parch drank without blinking, I think Hunger will do just fine.” Swiftfoot said. I had to agree with him.

Signing off in anticipation,
Me

Thirtieth Day of the Gray Time

Tomorrow ends the Gray Time. Perhaps in the Icy Season I will soon see the Glittering Island again. I can hardly wait. I feel almost homesick just thinking about it. The Eating Match was on a grassy plain outside the city. Huge pits had been dug. The bulls were roasted hole on spits. The crowd gathered to watch and sniff hungrily as the cooks sprinkled seasonings and spread herbs on the crackling skin. I moored the Sea Princess at a good vintage point to the prairie side of the pits. The king and Anastasia were on a platform on the city side. The giant towered high above the topmost tower of the city.
“If I win, I shall marry the princess and take her back to Kildimere.” the giant rumbled, “I shall have a finer bride then Prince Philip's princess.” For the first time I began to feel sorry for poor Anne's fiance. Imagine having subjects like the loathsome giant?
“Of course, if you win.” King Caspian said. I almost fell out of the Sea Princess. Caspian the worm would rather give Anastasia to a lowsome lout of a giant, then to me?
“I will never marry that giant!” Anastasia screamed. Good for her!
“You will do as your told girl!” Caspian snarled and slapped her hard. What a rotten ogre! No wonder Anastasia had not smiled for so long.
“I no wait for food!” the giant rumbled, and snatched up one of the spits, bull and all, and stuck it into his mouth. My jaw dropped as the monster gulped. I saw a bulge sliding down his throat. Then the giant let out a roar and clutched at his throat. His long tongue trailed out of his mouth. He started dancing around fanning his tongue and choking.
“Whatever is wrong with him?” Someone asked.
“H-hot!” roared the giant, “Sharp too!”
“Ha, he burnt his tongue!” Parch cried, “Now he understands my great need for a drink!”
“He probably cut his mouth or the interior of his throat on the pointed end of the spit.” Deadeye said thoughtfully.
“I would say both of you are right.” Sharp said, “But why is no one paying attention to Hunger.” Naturally we all looked at our companion as soon as we heard his name spoken. Hunger was sucking some bones. All three of his spits were empty. Even as we looked, Hunger tossed away the bones and started eating one of the giant's bulls. An uproar followed as the giant started a stampede.

Signing off with a Laugh,
Me

First Day of the Icy Season

This morning dawned with a chill that took my breath away. In fact, when I left my cabin I could see my own breath, like the time we had found Bale up on the mountain. But this time there was none of the white stuff. What was it called? Oh yes, snow. I was sure this was the first time in the history of the Seven Worlds that such a thing had ever happened. I shouted for my friends and started running to find them so as to share this phenomenon with them. My boots slid on the deck, which had somehow turned banana peel slick in the night.
“What cursed Dijn has done this?” I screamed, “Or was it a genie?”
“It froze during the night.” Bale cried as he popped his head up out of the hatch, “Imagine chilly air.”
“I thought it rained fluffy white substance?” I cried, “What curse makes it impossible to walk upright?” I tried unsuccessfully to get to my feet.
“That would be ice. Frozen snow.” Bale said. That would explain why it was called the Icy Season. No one on the Glittering Island would believe me. My astonishment was cut short by Kalin, yelling up at us. What did that annoying twit want now? I crawled to the rail and pulled myself to an awkward standing position. Kalin was wearing a patched cloak. One would think Caspian the worm would be more concerned about the appearance of his men then to let them wander about in rags. But then perhaps I could be wrong. He was certainly strange enough as it was.
“What brings you out on this icy morning.” I asked trying to sound as if I was used to ice.
“You call this piddling sheet, ice?” Kalin sneered, “Where are you from? The Glittering Island? I heard that is a solid desert!” I felt my face flushing scarlet. Was the people of Glittering Island really looked upon as buffoons and idiots?”
“Did you you come here for anything else then to insult me?” I asked coldly, “I am tired-”
“His majesty has summoned you.” Kalin interrupted. I no longer admired him for interrupting the king. Apparently he did that to everyone. In fact he reminded me of the triplets. Always interrupting their betters and thinking they knew everything.
“Let me get my men.” I said.
“You have to come alone.” Kalin sighed, “I had a heck of a time getting him to see you at all, so take advantage of the situation!”
“I refuse to grovel before him.” I said coldly.
“You are an idiot, but not the way everyone thinks!” Kalin said. If he had been closer I would have attempted to teach him a lessen. Instead I gnashed my teeth and slid down a rope to the ground. Comfortably burning my hands on the slide. Ouch! The pain!

Later

“You win!” that was the very words of the worm. Perhaps one should not call their father-in-law a worm. But I still spit on the ground he walks on.
“Uh- fine.” I said. There was no sign of Anastasia. Caspian had summoned me alone in a small audience chamber. Surely there was no plot as Sharp had heard nothing.
“The wedding shall be tomorrow.” Caspian said grimly, “But first you shall be cleaned up and dressed fit for a man to sit at my table.” he looked towards Kalin, “Soldier, take this boy to the royal bath chamber.”
“As you wish, your majesty.” Kalin said with a barely noticeable bow. Apparently, he liked the worm no more then me. The bath chamber was huge. The Sea Princess could easily fit in side. Masts and all. There was a marble bath in the center of the room, that was steaming. All along walls were smaller baths. They would contain, the rinse, the soap, the soak, and the cold cleansing bath. Once a person was purified in these four baths he was free to enter the steaming luxury of the bath. This particular chamber was following a similar pattern to the public baths in the Glittering City. A servant and a masseur entered. The servant was carrying a pile of large furry colorful towels. The masseur was huge, bald, had one eye, and enormous muscles. He looked more like a pirate then a masseur. I hated massages anyway.
“Go away!” I told him, “I do not care for people thumping my back!” the masseur glanced at the servant. I felt a twang of nervousness run down my back. A commoner would have no idea what the masseur was for.
“His majesty has bidden you leave.” the servant told Kalin.
“Sorry kid.” Kalin told me in a whisper, “Looks like you will be fish meat yet.” Then he left the chamber. I felt even more nervous once he was gone. I suddenly felt as if I was abandoned with two heartless murders. I wish I knew what Kalin had meant.
“Undress and get cleaned.” the servant told me, “You will have clean clothes supplied. By the time I had stripped and was stepping down into the rinse bath, the air had become intolerable. It was so hot, that even desert bred as I was, I was uncomfortable. I put one foot into the water, then let out a high pitched screech. The water was burning hot. In fact upon closer inspection, I could see that it truly was beginning to simmer and bubble. I turned to complain to the servant and found the cheat gone. The masseur was gone too. I snatched up a towel and made for the door. I felt like I was dancing on red hot coals. The door was locked. I began to pound on it. So that was what Kalin meant. I was going to be killed. Suddenly, I heard clang from above and felt a slight draft. I looked up. Bale was peeping through a tiny window some thirty feet in the air.
“Get me out of here!” I yelled as I hastily wrapped the tower around my waist.
“The corridor is to heavily guarded.” Bale said, “I cannot get down to the door. But I brought something that will help.”
“What? A musket?” I growled, then coughed, “I can barely breathe.”
“Well, you are doing pretty well.” Bale said, “The guards thought you would last only half a minute but you have been in there five minutes already.”
“I am from the desert, of course I last longer then people from an icy country!” I cried, “Now stop babbling.” Bale stuffed his little straw bale through the window. It hit the floor with a dull thud and rolled towards the big pool, stopping only inches from the edge.
“Straw?” I gasped, “Want me to start a fire?”
“Scatter the straw, Boots.” Bale said and shut the window. I gnashed my teeth in a rage. But to be perfectly honest I had nothing to lose. My feet were beginning to blister and my arms and legs were turning red. I untied the bundle with trembling fingers and scattered the straw. The red hot walls begin to turn white. I saw blue frost creeping along the floor. My burnt skin hurt like fire when the frost touched it. The baths froze over. Icicles dripped from the ceiling. I grabbed up all the towels and lay down on the steam oven in the corner. So that is how I spent the rest of the day. Curled up on an oven in a frozen room.

Signing off in pain,
Me


Second Day of the Icy Season

This morning I was awakened by Kalin, the masseur, the servant and the limey treacherous worm entering the bath house.
“I thought I told you to heat the room!” Caspian bellowed, “That means light the fires and crank up the furnaces. Not open the windows and turn the furnaces off!” I leaped off the stove, wishing in vain for my clothes.
“Boots!” Kalin cried.
“What? Still alive?” Caspian shrieked. He looked anything but pleased.
“Yes, no thanks to you!” I snapped, “You murderer!” Caspian turned around and stormed out of the room.
“Just wait, peasant!” the masseur boomed, “You will die yet.”
“Here are your royal garments, your grace.” the servant said. He gave me silk hose, a cotton shirt, boots and a fur lined jacket. I was almost grateful to him. I waited only long enough to make myself decent, then I stormed out of the room. Once I was safe on the Sea Princess, I thanked Bane and bade Sharp listen at all times. Now everyone but Con had saved my life. But I did not doubt he would soon have his turn. Even the youngest member of the team could be a hero.

Signing off in readiness,
Me

Fourth Day of the Icy Season

Sharp woke me out of sound sleep after a brief period of calm. I sat up quickly. I did not need to hear his words to know that we were in danger again.
“Boots, we must sail the Sea Princess away from this cursed place!” he whispered, “The treacherous king is sending soldiers to assassinate us in our sleep!”
“Never more shall I run from that worm!” I said dramatically, “I shall soon teach him a lesson! He cannot bully me or anyone else just because he thinks were are common blood!”
“Now, any man in his right sense can tell that you are not common blood!” Sharp said dryly and left the cabin. Now what could he have meant by that? I dressed in haste and ran out onto the deck. Of course I slid across the ice and fell flat. Ice is a stupid invention. Sharp must have awakened the others because they soon came sliding to my side. None of them fell on their faces. Oh for a nice sandy desert. I wish they could see me in my country, the would soon learn that I was no fool. I got up slowly and stood on shaking feet.
“What do we do?” Hunger rumbled softly.
“We throw my soldiers into the battle!” Con said as he patted his sticks.
“No!” I cried.
“No?” Con asked sadly.
“We have to save that for an emergency!” I said. I was no longer skeptical about the truth behind that bundle of twigs. A bale of straw had saved my life, so why not a bundle of twigs.
“So I am the back up plan?” Con asked and puffed out his chest.
“If we get trapped up here, no one will be the backup plan!” Sharp barked, “Let us get out of here!”
“Back to the chilly bathhouse!” I cried and dropped the rope overboard.

Signing off in haste,
Me

Fifth Day of the Icy Season

I now feel sorry for my father's enemies. I have discovered how deeply unpleasant it his to be under siege. We have been trapped in the freezing bath house for almost twenty-four hours now.
“Bale, how do you reverse your chilly straw spell?” Deadeye asked the small boy. Bale was skating on the big bath like it was easy. How he managed to stay on his feet was beyond me.
“There is no reverse.” Bale said, “That is why I was condemned to live on that mountain you rescued me from.”
“Boots.” Sharp told me sternly, “If you had not minded your own business, we would not be freezing to death!”
“If I had minded my own business I would be dead!” I retorted, “This straw saved my life!” The conversation was interrupted by a rhythmic booming on the heavy metal doors. Once more someone was trying to batter them down. But the iron bars and the metal held.
“You do realize that if we do no freeze we still will starve!” Hunger moaned.
“Or die of thirst.” Parch sighed.
“Boots, you better have a plan!” Swiftfoot barked.
“When do I get to make soldiers?” Con asked.
“Everyone calm yourself.” I said, “The king's men are all going to be preoccupied with guarding the door. I shall slip out and have a council with the king. Once I am gone you will all be left alone to come and go as you please.”
“That is a revolting plan!” Deadeye told me rudely. The others grumbled in agreement.

Signing off in indignation,
Me

Sixth Day of the Icy Season,
I climbed up on Hunger's shoulders, then shinnied my way up to the tiny window. The others gathered around to watch and probably expecting to pick up my spattered remains when I happened to fall. I squeezed through the window and found myself in a narrow corridor. It was so dark that the only light came from the bath chamber below. My boots made a soft thudding sound on the stone floor as I darted down the corridor in search of a way out. I found a door and opened it softly. It was well lit by a huge window. A roaring fire on an enormous hearth was battling the cold. I darted into the room and immediately felt as if my head had exploded. I staggered forward yelping in pain and clutching at my head. Then someone stuck out a foot and I tripped. I fell face downward onto a bearskin carpet. But I had been in better battles then this. I had barely touched the floor before I rolled over and drew my knife. I would not be assassinated without a battle. But my heart sank upon discovering that my attackers were six trembling women. Their terrible weapons included a needles, thread and cloth. I must have accidentally entered the woman's sitting room.
“Let him sit up.” a familiar voice said sharply. I sat up and looked over my shoulder. Anastasia was standing between me and the door holding a stool. It was she who had struck me.
“Ouch.” was all I could say.
“Why did you come in here?” she demanded, “I am suspicious of your intentions, boy!”
“Boy?” I spluttered, “I am probably older then you by half a dozen years. Besides I-”
“Do you realize who you are speaking too!” an old lady interrupted.
“Princess Anastasia of Hazelmorn!” I growled.
“You sir are a bully!” Anastasia said her face hard.
“Well, I can hardly help it!” I protested foolishly, “So was my father. Besides your father happens to be one too.”
“That hardly gives you an excuse.” Anastasia said, “I had better hopes for you when you first arrived. But you turned out to be like everyone else!” I stood up slowly. I suppose no one had ever thought to ask the poor girl her opinion on marriage. What if she already loved someone else? It could hardly be pleasant to have a father like Caspian. But could it be any more pleasant to have a suitor like me? I felt my face growing hot. Plus my head still felt like it was on fire.
“Well,” I mumbled trying to avoid looking at any of the women, “I shall retract my reward. If you will get your father to hold back on attacking us, I shall announce it publicly side by side with my friends. He can win.” Anastasia raised one eyebrow.
“Really?” she asked.
“I hardly wish to be considered a bully.” I said with a sigh, “And you are right, I am being selfish.” I had not battled the people of Kildimere because I was a bully, but because I was protecting my people. But that was three years ago. Perhaps I was no longer a hero. With my head held high, I walked back out of the room. But I still had to face my friends back in the chilly room. Suddenly Anastasia came running.
“You do know I will marry no one without my father's consent.” she said breathlessly, “I despise his choices and he would despise mine so I shall never marry.” she turned and darted away.

Signing out almost in tears,
Me

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment