Tuesday, April 16, 2019

DoTP Part One, Verek's Diary

+
+JMJ+

Diary of a Thief Prince
(Verek, Won and Blanche)
Part One

Day One of my future plans, Being the Tenth Day of the Blossom Time

Greetings all, but most importantly myself.
Well anyway, last year Zeno gave me a small gold bound blank book. He gave my triplets the same thing. Waylan used his immediately, but I tossed mine aside. But now has arisen the perfect moment to use this little bit of nothing. In exactly thirty days my brother Waylan is to be married to the love of his life. A rebel from Kildimere. Not there is anything wrong with his choice, but zowie. But I think I might be confusing everyone, including myself. So I better get to the beginning.

Beatrice is my oldest unmarried sister. Being already in her twenty-first year, she is quite dismal about it. But on a side note, who would want to marry her? Anyway, she was seated on a bench with my triplet, Deborah. Beatrice was whining as usual.
“And a common girl like Cassandra.” she said spitefully, “Wormed her way into the royal family, then gets to be married before me! Twice!”
“What a pity.” Deborah mocked. I was going through my precious gem collection. You see, I am an expert treasure hunter. Thief! Pardon that last bit. Waylan thought he was being funny. But back to the story.

“Deborah, everyone knows that you will have even more trouble finding a husband then me!” Beatrice shrieked, “Why I am quite beautiful, but you are small and ugly. There is no gloss to your hair. Your face is sunburnt. You run wild with the boys. You dress yourself sloppily. You in the common tongue are quite common. You will never find yourself a husband!” Deborah stood up, her face flaming. Oh boy, I was sure Beatrice would be struck flat. Deborah has the quickest punch in all the Glittering Island. She is also lightening quick with both spear and dagger.
“Beatrice!” Deborah gasped through gritted teeth, “I can find a husband faster then you can blink. In fact I shall be married the same day as Waylan. A double wedding!”
“You forget, that you need a bridegroom.” Beatrice laughed shrilly. I was staring at them in dismay. This did not look good.
“I have one.” Deborah laughed, “The first unmarried man that comes through that door!” she pointed at the small gate in the wall that led out into the street. I stared opened mouthed, while the guard at the door stared in dismay.
“You would not!” Beatrice gasped.

Someone pounded on the gate. The hair on my head stood up on end. Deborah stood up and approached the gate. Beatrice began to sniffle.
“Open the gate!” Deborah ordered.
“Uh- highness your father will not like it.” the guard gasped.
“Idiot!” Deborah snorted and opened the gate herself. My heart sank to my shoes. It was a man. He was probably at least five years older then Deborah. His black hair was in need of a good combing. His face was scared and his clothes were dusty and drab.
“Deborah!” Beatrice shrieked.

“Hello sir, welcome to the Glittering Palace.” Deborah said as she cocked her head. She did not curtsy. The man took a step back, then bowed.
“Thank you my lady.” he said calmly, “I have a message for Prince Waylan.”
“Waylan?” I asked as I stood up. The man looked dismayed.
“He is here, right?” he asked.
“Of course he is.” Deborah interrupted, “He is to be married in one month's time. What about you?”
“What about me?” the man asked.
“Are you married, or to be married?” my sister asked. Beatrice began to cry. To my surprise the man laughed.
“Ha, who will take someone like me?” he laughed, “I, a demoted gate guard, with a face so ugly the pigs turn.”
“Well, I don't think it's so very ugly as all that.” Deborah said, “My sister Anne married someone with scars and he is quite charming. But I would marry you, provided you agree to get married in one month.” The man sat down flat on the ground. The guard fled into the palace yelling.
“Deborah, you don't even know his name!” Beatrice shrieked.

“Kalin?” someone yelled, then my older brother Xander came out of the palace. He was married to Princess Anastasia of Hazelmorn and lived there most of the time. At the moment he was visiting.
“Your highness, a message from the king.” the man at the gate said as he scrambled to his feet.
“Oh good, you already know Xander and Waylan. Perfect.” Deborah said, she turned to Xander, “We are getting married.” this time it was Xander who sat down flat.

After that there was a hullabaloo in the palace. Zeno told Deborah she was being stubborn and would likely regret this flyaway choice. Yaron said she would regret it before the vows were exchanged. Xander bragged about how Kalin had helped him when he was wooing Anastasia. This did not help matters. Waylan practically threw a fit. He was still mad at Kalin over some hunting trip. The younger children were ignored so their opinions did not matter. Madra was concerned about Deborah's future happiness. Father was furious.
“Absolutely never! Over my dead body!” he shouted. This made Kalin mad. I doubt he would have gone through with everything until father started shouting and insulting him.
“Sir, he said angrily, I may not be a prince, but I have noble blood in my veins and a family name that stood before you ever set foot on the Glittering Island! I will marry your daughter, and it will be with your blessing!”

Now I get to the main point of the story. My triplets were both getting married. Since they were doing it together, I needed a fabulous present for both of them and one more important thing. A wife. Deborah had made this a thing that we would all do together. This meant it had to be a triple wedding. But where was I to get a wife. The idea of finding a wife and falling in love in only thirty days was even more daunting then finding the perfect gift. Only thirty days? There was no way I was going to propose to any of the maidens in the palace. I disliked them all. Zeno, Anne, Yaron, Xander and Waylan were not acquainted with anyone worthy of mentioning.
“I know an enchantress who you might like.” Xander said with a snicker.
“I know an old lady called Granny Hag.” Waylan said straight faced, “She is Hannah's grandmother, but you still might like her.” They certainly did not take me seriously.
“Just you wait!” I snapped, “In thirty days time, I will be waiting at the alter with both you and Kalin!” I stormed off. But could I really live up to my words.

Day Two of my future plans, Being the Eleventh Day of the Blossom Time

Greetings all, but most importantly myself,
I am back, did you miss me? I slept ill last night, tossing and turning and thinking. Sadly I was no closer to coming up with a solution in the morning, then I was the previous day. But by mid afternoon something happened that changed my luck. My mother's brother, and his wife arrived at the palace. Not even Zeno could remember Master Won. He had left the Third World when father was busy conquering the Glittering Island. Father detested him so much that he left the room upon seeing him.

“Won.” Madra cried as she rushed to his side and embraced him, “We feared that you were dead, when you never returned.”
“Well Jezana, I hardly miss this country.” Won sniffed and polished a strange piece of twisted metal with a handkerchief. To my amusement, he then held it up to his eye and looked through it. Madra stepped away from him.
“What is that?” She asked suspiciously, “It looks like the very evil eye itself.”
“Oh you people are so superstitious.” Won sneered, “You should see the jewel that is Royaume.” Then father came back into the room. He was seething with rage.
“Royaume is no jewel.” he snarled, “In fact Royaume is the very stinking slum of existence! If you do not believe me you should see my two stupid fat sisters!”
“Maldirk.” Madra cried in great distress.

While the grownups argued Won's wife sidled around the palace poking stuff and cooing. What a strange creature. She was dressed oddly too. But I did not pay much attention to her. I had more important things to do.
“Uncle Won.” I cried as I approached him, “I am in great need of finding the perfect gift for my triplets' double wedding. Would Royaume have anything I could help myself too?”
“You are not going there!” father shouted.
“Not Royaume, but I know just the thing in Kildimere.” Won said and rubbed his hands together, “Shall we talk privately?”

A little later we were seated in a private garden. Won leaned forward and tapped his fingers together. I leaned back and tried not to make a face.
“So I hear that you need not only the perfect wedding gift but a wife as well.” Won said with a smile, “As they say in Royaume, when you need something you get it.” I frowned.
“I would think people would say that anywhere.” I said dryly.
“So you say, so you say.” Won laughed, “Now in Kildimere there is the Irakian Diamond. The most beautiful blue white sparkling gem in all the seven worlds. It can be yours to give to who you will in exchange for a little help.”
“What kind of help?” I asked suspiciously.
“In getting a lamp for me.” was the surprising answer.
“Take that one.” I said pointing to a lamp that hung from the wall.
“No, no.” Won cried, “This is a gold and silver lamp of strange make. It is the only one of it's kind.”
“What do you need it for?” I asked. Won cracked his knuckles hard.
“Revenge!” he said, “Once I was dancing instructor and sword-master to six ungrateful brats! They humiliated me! Especially the one I shall not mention the name of.” He cracked his knuckles again and again, until I winced.

Won stood up and paced in circles. I began to wonder if he was slightly cracked in the mind. But this diamond did sound appealing.
“So what is the catch?” I asked, “If I were to try and get you this lamp?”
“None.” Won said quickly as he turned back to me, “But I am unable to get back into the cave. Genies and such, you know.”
“No I do not know it.” I said, “But if you get me the diamond and a wife I will do whatever you want. How soon can we leave?”
“Now that is the spirit.” Won laughed, “We leave at first light. Pack simple garments. It would be better if no one knew what we were about.”
“Fair enough.” I said, “First light it is.”

Day Three of my Future Plans, Being the Twelfth Day of the Blossom Time

After two hours of unstoppable sickness, my mind cleared, the sun came out and I felt much better. At least I was not like Waylan. He got really sick whenever he set foot on a ship. So sick that he had to go to bed once he reached shore. We were sailing on the Prince Slayer, not a very pleasant sounding ship, but at least it was taking us where we wanted to go. Or it would. It was a two and a half days journey through the current to the Grimwarian Provence in Kildimere. There was not much else to do on the ship, except take off my boots, roll up my sleeves, and try climbing every square inch of the ship. Won sat in a cushioned chair in the bow and sipped a drink out of a golden goblet. But he also looked at me in utter disgust. He wife, Mistress Blanche, remained in her cabin. She was tall with dark eyes and long black hair. She had this superior look about her as if she thought she was better then everyone else. Won seemed to think so too. I could hardly wait to be rid of them.

Day Four of my Future Plans, Being the Thirteenth Day of the Blossom Time

Another long day on a ship. I perfected my ability to scramble up and down the mast. The captain showed me how to guide the ship. The only other thing of note was that we got to go through rapids. It was so much fun, although I felt a little queasy afterward. It was also nice to see Won bending over the rail. That would teach him to be pompous.

To Be Continued

2 comments:

  1. This is really neat, Charlotte. I love the "I am an expert treasure hunter (with "treasure hunter" crossed out.) Thief!" :D
    And the dialogue is amazing.
    -Quinley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank's Quinley. I actually was copying Joseph's Diary in volume one with the crossing out. :D I'm glad you like it. :D

      Delete