Thursday, May 4, 2017

The Diary of a Frog Prince part 8

A Frog Prince's Diary
Jaden's diary

Day 42
It was nightfall when I hopped into an open window of a hunting shack, found some rope and brought it to the trail. I know there won't always be a shack handy to get tools from, but I shall take advantage of it, when there is.

I climbed up into a tree, by doing a lot of hopping, bouncing and detouring. I would do anything for a nice pair of hands. Have you ever tried to climb a tree, while carrying a rope and tie a knot, with webbed feet? It's not even half as easy as it sounds, believe me! I hopped up onto a bush, while carrying one of the rope in my mouth. From the bush, I hopped to a low hanging branch. I heard that some kind of frogs live in trees, but I know that is just a bunch of oily rust! Frogs don't climb! I ought to know! I am a frog! I got up to the top of the tree, and tied that miserable rope in a sailors knot, nearly breaking my neck in the process. Once the rope was tied, I slid down the rope to the ground. Then I pulled it back. Have you ever tried pulling down the branch of a tree, while being no bigger then an average kitten? Sure, I was a big frog, but I was only a big frog, not a giant! Once the snare was set, I collapsed. I was completely ready to die! And for what? A spoiled rotten princess, who deserved a spanking!

Day 43
I awoke to a loud yelled and snapping noise, followed by a massive crunch, as if something big and smashed into something else and broken. I blinked, the first streaks of dawn were just appearing on the horizon. But I hadn't come to admire the sunrise. A massive man was swinging from one end of my snare, two other massive men were dancing around him, trying to catch him, I suppose. Three other men had Elaine, bound and gagged between them. I drew my knife. It was time to fight. I launched into the air, caught the swinging man by one of his flailing arms and stabbed at his neck as I swung passed it. There was a gurgling noise. Red dribbled from his wound. Then I realized that he had already died. Probably broken his neck when he struck the tree. What a disappointment! By the time I leaped to the next man, Elaine's three captors were disappearing into the trees and I was left with the two big ones.
“Oh come on!” I grumbled. After all my hard work, all I got was a dead body and two ruffians to fight.
“Why, ish a froggy.” one of them slurred.
“Yeah in ish talking!” the other hooted. He reached down and picked me up by one leg. My day just wasn't getting any better. I was a good deal to close to his breath, which smelled like a barrel of very old very stale bear. Besides, being held by one leg is a painful process. The one thing useful for being in that humiliating situation was that I was literally in his face. I stabbed, then went flying through the air as he bellowed and screamed.

Whoever the kidnapper was, he should have been ashamed of himself. Who would be stupid enough to hire three henchmen that were weak enough to be killed by a frog? I seriously did leave them gasping out their last breaths in the clearing. I didn't waste much time on sorrow either. There was a law about drinking in the kingdom! Someone had to punish the drunks!

Day 44
Guess where I am today? Right! In the forest chasing the kidnappers again! If Elaine doesn't kiss me when this is over with, I will do something drastic! I feel as if I earned my human shape back, twice over! Will this hunt never end?

Day 45

I am past the kidnappers again. Sure enough there was no shack waiting for me at my set ambush place, so I decided to play with fire. I collected several sharp twigs. Then I stabbed them into the ground, in a nice little row. Actually it was a long row. I cleared aside the grass and weeds in thirty foot row. Then I pounded the sharp twigs in the ground. I also feel like I should mention that I do have a plan here, I'm just not sharing it! Once all the twigs were set up, a put try leaves and bits of grass around them, until you couldn't see the twigs at all. Then I went to one end of the pile, and used two rocks to get a tiny spark of a fire going. It was a small fire for me, but it would have been literally invisible to any human. I carefully tended it, making sure it grew no bigger or smaller. I had a great plan!

To Be Continued

~E

No comments:

Post a Comment