Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Diary of a Frog Prince part 10

A Frog Prince's Diary
Jaden's diary

Day 52
Perhaps I was wrong about Elaine. Today, when we were setting out, she bent down and picked me up. Sure, she had a cloth covering her hand, but she still did it.
“I never thanked you for rescuing me.” she said humbly, “If you still want to, you are welcome to come back to the palace.” I didn't tell her that her father and I had already discussed the reward.
“That would be nice!” I said dryly.
“If you want-” she hesitated and her face turned bright red, “I will give you that kiss you asked for once before.” I was delighted. One kiss and would be free. But suddenly it was my turn to hesitate. I couldn't let her kiss me. That was basically the same thing as forcing her to marry me. If I turned back into a man, it was proper protocol that she marry me. What if she really did want to marry Joseph.
“Thank you your highness.” I said miserably, “But if you do that you will regret it, so please don't!” So she didn't.

Day 53
We arrived back at the palace. The king was overjoyed and promptly had me knighted. I, being a prince had already been knighted, but it was the thought that counted. Besides, I couldn't really tell him that I was a knight. He probably wouldn't believe me anyway. I am feeling rather bitter. Perhaps I should have asked for that kiss after all.

Day 54
Jerome was released today. Since my every wish was granted these days. I insisted he be given clothes fit for a prince and a bath. Phew! He smelled terrible after rotting in the dungeon for so long. I think some of the servants are beginning to event wild stories about Jerome, because I wouldn't satisfy anyone's curiosity by telling them why I was patronizing him. Elaine has been really nice to me. A little too nice. I'm beginning to be uncomfortable.

Day 55
Ugh! I know, Elaine thought she was being nice, and generous. She is really trying to be kind, but I really didn't want sleep in her room. She literally had a silken pillow set up for me in the corner of her room. I'm not sure what is a nice way to say it, but NO WAY! I got out of it by saying I preferred the balcony. I get plenty of fresh air that way. I hope Elaine won't be to embarrassed when I return to my true form. That is if I do.

Day 56
I was playing fetch with Elaine and her golden ball, in the garden, when it occurred to me that I am nothing but a house pet! I was so shocked by this that, I rushed off without an explanation. Tonight I plan on staying at the well. This whole experience is just getting to awkward. Besides, I just realized something. I love Elaine! Staying at the palace isn't fair to either of us. I can use the pet experience as an excuse to leave.

Day 57
I awoke this morning, cramped and uncomfortable for sleeping outside after spending so many nights on a silken pillow. By the edge of the well, was a golden plate and cup. Both were filled with my favorite delicacies. Not flies! I ate the food and drank the wine. But didn't go back to the palace.

Day 58
Jerome and Elaine came down to the well today. I was surprised that the king would let his daughter hang around in the company of a notorious criminal like Jerome. Elaine looked sad and sat down on a rock. Jerome headed straight for my camp. I wished I could throttle him, but of course my webbed hands were to small. He crouched down next to me.
“I'm off home!” he whispered.
“About time!” I retorted. He gestured at the princess.
“I told her, that I would bring her to you. She wants to talk to you.” he said. I scowled.
“Why did you do that?” I demanded, “I was comfortable-” Jerome stood up, so I shut up. He obviously wasn't listening.
“You can come on over.” he said, then strode off into the trees.

Elaine picked up her skirts and scurried over to me. I crossed my arms, which probably looked ridiculous, considering that I was a frog.
“You are mad at me, aren't you?” she said softly.
“Why did you come down here with him?” I asked jerking my head in Jerome's direction.
“I don't think he is dangerous!” she said crossly, “If anything he is a sweet little boy.” I rolled my eyes. Jerome would have thrown a royal tantrum if he heard that.
“He ought to be, he has six older brothers!” I said before I could stop myself. She stared at me strangely. I started coughing.

“You left because I was treating you like a lap dog!” she accused, luckily dropping the subject of Jerome and his family.
“Er- more or less.” I said vaguely.
“Please come back!” she pleaded, “You are so much more then a lapdog! You are a friend!” I hesitated. That wasn't exactly what I wanted to be. I shook my head. I couldn't go back.
“Tomorrow!” I blurted out. Mentally, I kicked myself. Why had I told her that. But she looked pleased.

“I will come back tomorrow to fetch you!” she said, then turned and ran back in the direction of the palace. I cursed myself for a twice cursed idiot, and wondered if I should be long gone by morning.

To Be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment