Saturday, May 6, 2017

The Diary of a Frog Prince, part 9

A Frog Prince's Diary
Jaden's diary

Day 46
Today the kidnappers caught up to me. I lit the leaves on fire. Immediately I had a nice row of roaring flames. Unfortunately only one stepped on it, the other swines managed to turn about, with the princess. My victim screamed and cursed, while hopping up and down on one foot. I threw three flaming darts at him. While I was chasing him, the other two escaped with the princess. What rotten luck. But at least I could hunt down my victim and administer swift and well deserved punishments!

Day 47
There are still two kidnappers to go, and I am exhausted. What I need is a horse. Well, anything that can carry me. Is Elaine really worth this? Of course not! What had she ever done for me? If I don't think she is worth this pain, why am I still following her? Ugh! Why can't I answer my own questions?

Day 48
Ta Da! I am now the proud owner of a beautiful reddish stead! The terrible and dangerous squirrel! It's nice to relax on something soft while charging through the forest. This time I'm not going to set a trap. They will be expecting it. This time I am riding into battle, mounted on my glorious steed. Please don't ask how I caught and tamed this majestic stead. It's embarrassing and frankly I don't want to share it! But I hope you are curious now! If frogs could look evil, that's what I would look like at the moment.

Day 49
The sun was already high in the sky when I charged up into the kidnappers camp. The rotten no good sons of peasants had tied Elaine to a tree, and weren't sharing food with her. She still looked haughty. A pity, I had this ridiculous hope that she would have changed some. Oh well. I forced my stead to leap at the nearest lout's face. He screamed something about rabid squirrels. If I wasn't so busy stabbing at him with my dagger, I would have covered the squirrel's ears. He was to young to be hearing that kind of language. Anyway, what with a squirrel clawing at his face, and my valiant sword stabbing at his throat, he fell to the ground.
“It's another possessed frog!” his companion screamed.
“It's gotta be the same one!” he fallen companion screeched while trying to shove me away. I hopped off the squirrel. He was doing fine, ripping chunks out of the man's face. Then I leaped at the other man. By the time I reached the spot he had been standing, he was long gone. Racing through the forest for dear life. I raised my sword high in the air and hopped after him.

Day 50
I caught up to the man this morning and we battled. He tried to smash me with a log, but I leaped over it and caught hold of his boot. He slashed at me with his sword, and cut his own leg. He screamed, and limped away. I followed, stabbing and shouting at him to surrender. He wouldn't! By and by, a horseman came by, and hulled the unfortunate man up beside him and the two of them bolted off. The new man shouting at the other one, for being an idiot and fighting a stupid frog.
“I shall hunt you down, and justice shall be served!” I shouted grandly after them, then added in a whisper, “Just as soon as I'm a man again.”

Day 51
By the time I arrived back in the camp, the other man was long gone. The squirrel was sitting on its hunches, licking itself like a cat. I grinned in a froggish sort of way, then patted him.
“You are free to go.” I said gallantly. He ignored me. So I hopped over to Elaine. A pity that she had been tied up to the tree for a few days with nothing to eat. Maybe that would make her more mellow. But for some reason she didn't look pleased to see me. Oh well, it's not every day that your typical handsome prince is just a slimy little frog. Besides I had left her alone, with nothing to eat. Can't say I blame her much. Although a simple thank you would have done wonders.
“So you came back?” she croaked. I cut her ropes and let her gorge herself out of the kidnappers supply wagons.
“Tomorrow we return you home!” I said, but she was to busy eating to listen.


To Be continued

No comments:

Post a Comment