Friday, April 21, 2017

A Diary of a Frog Prince part 2

This part is kind of short because I'm to tired to write any more today.

A Frog Prince's Diary
Jaden's diary

Day 9
Finding where she lived was easy. All I had to do was follow the path. It was lined with little rocks and flowers grew along the edge. I hopped along it until I came to a garden gate. Living outdoors has really kept me slim so I had no trouble squeezing under the door. The garden was a maze of paths and brilliant flowers, shrubs and trees. It took some time, but I finally found the door leading into the house, which was really a palace. Probably some king's summer palace. Unfortunately even a frog couldn't squeeze under that door, so I did the next best thing I could do. I banged on it with my webbed fist.
“Spoiled princess open the door!” I yelled, “Keep your promise made at the well.”
“Go away!” a gruff voice, probably the doorkeeper, called.
“Open up!” I yelled banging until my fists bled.
“I'll run you through!” the doorkeeper threatened.
“Wait, who is there?” a man, probably the king, called.
“I am the frog who rescued the princesses ball!” I shouted, “She promised me dinner, I demand my dinner!” There was a silence. I crossed my webbed hand finger things behind my back. Then the man who was probably the king replied.
“Elaine?” he said gruffly.
“Father.” the girl whined, “It's a fat slimey toad!” I was offended. Why did people keep calling me a toad.
“Well, you promised.” her father snapped.
“Can he come back tomorrow, we aren't ready for him, tonight?” Elaine whined. I was disgusted.
“I shall return!” I shouted and hopped into a bush to spend the night.

Day 10
The following night I was waiting by the door, when the doorkeeper opened it. The oaf looked in every direction, except mine. He was doing it on purpose too! I know it. After awhile I got tired of his oafish manners, marched up to him and kicked him good. He jumped, then looked down.
“Y-your a frog?” he gasped, his face turning redder then a flannel petticoat.
“Of course I'm a frog!” I snarled, “I informed you last night! Now kindly inform the princess Elaine that I am here for dinner.” The oaf turned and stumbled off. He should have been fired, just for the way he walked. He looked like a drunk.

An old man with a snow white beard and a golden crown on his head came to the door soon after. The drunken doorkeeper shuffled after him.
“So you are the frog?” the king asked. I found that question just a tad ridiculous. Of course I was the frog. Couldn't he tell by looking at me?
“Of course, sire.” I said. The king turned.
“Elaine, come attend your guest!” he ordered curtly. The princess shuffled over to us, looking rather downcast.
“Come along froggy.” she muttered. I frowned. Obviously her manners were still not up to date.
“I am tiny, you are going to have to carry me!” I said definitely, as I crossed my arms, or what was supposed to be my arms.
“NO!” Elaine snarled.
“Daughter!” the king growled. She immediately bent over and picked me up between the tips of her finger and thumb. My triumph was short lived, because it was so painful the way she was pinching me.

Eating at a grand table is so much different when one is a frog. All the silver was two big for me, as well as the goblets and pitchers. As for the chairs we won't even discuss them. I took one look at the situation and decided to perch on the edge of the golden plate and eat with my webbed fingers. The meal was very undignified and awkward. Elaine didn't look at me once. Her father talked politely about the many wars and skirmishes he had been involved in. Some of his descriptions were a little vulgar for table talk, but I couldn't tell him that. I said little, I was having trouble eating and didn't want to encourage the king.

Day 11
I returned to the well this morning. I needed a bit of time to decide weather or not I wanted to experience another dinner at the palace.

Day 12
Well this morning I decided to go back again. Mother was very good at teaching etiquette. She said that if you wanted to get invited to dinner, you pay a social call half an hour before the meal should be served, then it would be only proper for them to invite you to stay. Believe me, it worked like a charm, and once more I found myself perched on a dinner plate. This time Elaine talked.
“Father,” she said, ignoring me, “What do you think of Prince Kane of the Southwood?” she asked. I paused in the process of taring of a chunk of chicken. Prince Kane just happened to be my cousin.
“He is a very nice young man, daughter, but his mother is a little odd.” the king said. I scowled.
“I think-” I began.
“What about that prince that is coming here two nights hence?” Elaine interrupted. Obviously her mother had not taken a great deal of time on teaching her etiquette.
“Charming as they come dear, but I heard his whole family is odd.” the king said, “Remember the rumors of Prince James turning into a beast. And what about Prince Justin's bride-to-be? She was cursed, I believe.” I felt my green face turning bright red. They were gossiping about my family right in front of my face.
“I think he is disgusting!” Elaine said, “Imagine having to marry a prince who has a twin brother! I could never do it!” I decided that she was talking about Joseph or John.
“Gossiping is a sin!” I snarled.
“I beg your pardon?” the king said.
“Pardon granted!” I sniffed.
“Er- thank you, I think!” he said.
“What a rude little froggy!” Elaine sneered, “If I was your mother I would have you paddled!” I hopped right off the table.
“Good day, Barbarian princess!” I snarled and hopped out the door.

Day 13
I am so never going back to see either Elaine or her father! How dare they insult my family! How dare they! There is nothing odd about my family! Nothing! What on Royaume did they mean by James being a beast, and Justin's bride being cursed? Well I guess it's just a stupid rumor!

To Be Continued  

1 comment: