Monday, April 24, 2017

The Diary of a Frog Prince part 5

A Frog Prince's Diary
Jaden's diary

Day 21
It took forever to explain to Jerome yesterday, but then in the end he agreed. Our parents still though he was with Justin visiting James and Eleanor's castles. So he didn't even have to let them know. Which was probably a good thing since they would never have agreed. I felt like a terrible brother when Jerome, looking way to happy with the situation broke into the palace and went to look for the princess's golden ball. He found it much quicker then I thought was entirely proper for a prince who was stealing something for the first time. I had him bring it down to the well, then place it strategically so that anyone coming down would accidentally kick it strait into the water, and no one could possibly blame me. I feel brilliant.

Day 22
This morning Jerome and I were sharing breakfast. Cheese and bread for him. Something crunchy, which I shall refrain from naming, for me. When suddenly, someone comes storming down the path. Jerome, barely had time to run off and hide, before Elaine came into sight. Just as I had planned, her foot struck the ball and it went flying into the well with a loud splash. Elaine screamed and made a dive but missed it by inches.
“You shouldn't leave your toys around.” he told her, feeling a bit guilty.
“Stop croaking at me, you disgusting little beast, and save it, now!” she stormed. I shook my head. There was no way that I was going to fetch the ball for that kind of behavior.
“I think not!” I said and leaped after Jerome. Elaine screamed after me, but I ignored her.

Day 23
The following morning Elaine was back. She was not quite so cocky as she had been the previous day.
“You're invited to dinner.” she said in a coaxing voice.
“No thanks!” I said. She scowled.
“There is a little bag of gold for you.” she said, her teeth gritted.
“No thanks!” I said again. Her face turned red.
“What do you want?” she stormed.
“A kiss!” I said.
“Not a chance!” she screamed, and turned and fled. I rolled my eyes and sighed. I really should find a more reasonable princess. But then a more reasonable princess would not be playing with toys, toys were for babies.

Day 24
Elaine was back again today. She no longer looked angry, which was a start. I had decided to relent a bit, because she most certainly was not ready to kiss me, after all I was a frog.
“Please, will you fetch my ball for me?” she asked meekly. I was amazed. I really had not expected her to say please.
“It would be a pleasure, your highness.” I said, deciding not to push it. After all she was learning to be polite. Well, I fetched the ball, and this time she didn't run off. She waited for me to climb out of the well.
“Thank you.” she said humbly.
“You are most welcome.” I replied. She allowed me to walk with her back to the palace, but did not touch me.

Day 25
I now live at the palace. The king seems to think I have a good affect on his daughter. I feel really guilty about steeling the ball. But I feel even worse, because Jerome is living out in the woods. I went to see him and tried to make him go home. But since none of my brothers ever obey me, he said no. Apparently he likes living in the woods like a common outlaw. Disgusting. But I can hardly say I blame him. Once he goes home, mother is liable to hook him up with a stiff proper princess who never smiles.

Day 26
Oh misery! I thought Elaine was getting better. Well, I must have been wrong. Today she relapsed, and was worse then ever. She stepped on me twice. I have been limping since. OUCH! She kicked me once, and set a plate down on my head twice. I am beginning to be really annoyed. She refuses to speak to me, except in the frostiest of voices. She treats me worse then a peasant. I wonder if that was how I used to sound when I spoke to peasants? I know I could never do it again. It makes me feel miserable and unloved. I went to complain to Jerome, and he said we had to try to ball trick again. I said no, because the princess never visited the well anymore, the ball couldn't just appear there.

Day 27

Oh no! Something terrible has happened! Remember what I said about my brothers never listening to me Well, guess who didn't listen to me yesterday? Jerome! He tried to steal the ball again and got caught by a servant. He is currently locked in a storage room. I am very much afraid that there is nothing I can do. If I tried to explain the whole thing, no one would believe me. There is also no way that they would think that Jerome is a prince. He certainly doesn't look like one any more. I must try to think up a plan to rescue him.

To be Continued

No comments:

Post a Comment